I have a question

chuckd

They won ten games agains who. One team that may have been good, but only later in the season.

Explain the losses Former. Who were they and what were the scores?

10 means squat and I do not count Mechicken state a power.

Like I said I do not know if this staff is the answer. But firing them with in the next 3 years will destroy this program forever.

10 Wins means a bowl game. It means beating an OSU team, ISU team, Penn St. team and CU team that beat you the year before.

It means they lost to a KSU team that finished the year 11-4, a MU team that was 8-5, and a Texas team that was 10-3.

03 was not the greatest of years, but it was definately improvement over the previous year. They lost to some good teams minus MU which would only be considered a decent team.

If you don't count McNeese St then how can you count Maine. A win is a win.

You can't fire the staff this year, if they win their last 2 or 3 games then it is significant improvment over last year. But if they go 0-3 or 1-2 there will be a hot seat next year and Billy C will be expected to produce. They signed a contract with BC for 5 years I think. That is a lot of money to payout if they fire him already. I think they are still paying for soliches staff who had some time left on their contracts when they were canned. The Athletic Department can't just keep pumping money into coaches and then firing the coaches, but still having to fulfill the contract.

They won ten games agains who.  One team that may have been good, but only later in the season. 

Explain the losses Former.  Who were they and what were the scores? 

Like I said I do not know if this staff is the answer.  But firing them with in the next 3 years will destroy this program forever.

10 Wins means a bowl game. It means beating an OSU team, ISU team, Penn St. team and CU team that beat you the year before.

It means they lost to a KSU team that finished the year 11-4, a MU team that was 8-5, and a Texas team that was 10-3.

03 was not the greatest of years, but it was definately improvement over the previous year. They lost to some good teams minus MU which would only be considered a decent team.

You can't fire the staff this year, if they win their last 2 or 3 games then it is significant improvment over last year. But if they go 0-3 or 1-2 there will be a hot seat next year and Billy C will be expected to produce. They signed a contract with BC for 5 years I think. That is a lot of money to payout if they fire him already. I think they are still paying for soliches staff who had some time left on their contracts when they were canned. The Athletic Department can't just keep pumping money into coaches and then firing the coaches, but still having to fulfill the contract.

While it is true that 10 wins is not easy to do, I think it matters to win the games that count. Yes, we were 10-3 but if we were truly good in 2003 we would have never let Mizzou beat us 41-24. KSU beat us to badly also. I say the only credible loss that year was to Texas. If we had plaed those same teams in 2001 we would have gone undefeated.

They won ten games agains who.  One team that may have been good, but only later in the season. 

Explain the losses Former.  Who were they and what were the scores? 

Like I said I do not know if this staff is the answer.  But firing them with in the next 3 years will destroy this program forever.

While it is true that 10 wins is not easy to do, I think it matters to win the games that count. Yes, we were 10-3 but if we were truly good in 2003 we would have never let Mizzou beat us 41-24. KSU beat us to badly also. I say the only credible loss that year was to Texas. If we had plaed those same teams in 2001 we would have gone undefeated.

I think we were a good team. Definately not a National Championship team but an improvement over the debacle from the previous year. The MU game was one we shouldn't have lost. The KSU game has been a struggle for the last 10 years and especially lately. That one is kind of a toss up. The texas game we were undermatched. I think that team overachieved that year because the weren't the most talented team and had a young secondary but they pulled out 10 wins.

They won ten games agains who. One team that may have been good, but only later in the season.

Explain the losses Former. Who were they and what were the scores?

Like I said I do not know if this staff is the answer. But firing them with in the next 3 years will destroy this program forever.

Im not saying that it was a NC caliber season, but beating those teams is much better than losing to them, no???

As far as who I would rather have seen as a coach, Mike Stoops, Chow, Kiffin (even though he is old), Meyer, Spurrier, Weis, Price, Shula, Franchionne (sp?) even Pelini or Gill (long shots) would have been better. There are a ton of great coaches out there, both proven HCs and up-and-coming assistants. In my honest opinion, this is the worst HC/staff in the Big 12 (one of the worst in the nation), the previous staff was a much, much better coaching staff.

Are you trying to be funny? Callahan is 10-9 right now and lets assume he wins 2 of the last 3 games. That puts him at 12-10 (13-10 if you consider a bowl win).

Mike Stoops is 2-6 this year and will end up 3-8 after losing his next 2 of 3 against UCLA, and Arizona St and probably beating 1-7 Washington. That's exactly his same record last year. How is a 6-16 record better then a 12-10 record? Ironically, 2 of his 3 wins this year will be against the same 2 teams he beat last year (Northern Arizona DIV-AA team, Washington) with Oregon St and Arizona St flip flopping this year and last year. In fact, Arizona is at the same NCAA statistical ranking this year as it was last year, meaning they haven't even shown improvements and will miss a bowl game for a second consecutive year. Being a good assistant at Oklahoma doesn't make you a good head coach. Yeah, great hire that would be :dumdum

I won't disagree with Chow or Kiffen because i already said those 2 guys would make me wet myself if we did get them, but look at the negative in the Kiffen Hire. Pederson isn't going to hire Kiffen merly b/c he's only a couple of years away from retirement (he's 64 at the moment) and you agree that he is to old as well. Kids wants young guys to click with like Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll, Mike Shula, etc

Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier are not a realistic choices because both have said they were not interested in the NU position to begin with several times. You said we were promised a wow hire and no matter how much money you threw at them, they would have never come here. I believe chuckd was implying who people think is a wow coach and i believe he was probably referring to guys we could get realistically. Maybe i am reading to much into his question, maybe not. Chuckd can shed some light on what he was trying to ask in his post

Charlie Weis You know for a FACT NU doesn't have the money to throw at Wiess. NU has some good boosters, but nothing like Notre Dame and Texas. Notre Dame also has a TV deal to fund their operation and when they get to a BCS bowl game, they don't have to split it with anyone. And by the way, you said being a good NFL coach doesn't mean you are a good college football coach. Just b/c Wiess is 5-2, then all of a sudden you include him in your list. I think you threw that in more for a bias opinion then actually giving it some thought or you using a double standard here?

He built TCU into a winner. That's better than anything on billy c's resume

Dennis Franchione? B/c he took TCU and turned them into a respectable program and won a WAC title his third year before he bolted? Since when is winning a WAC title considered an accomplishment. Have you even looked to see what his record was at TCU his first 2 years? He was 15-9. Did you even look to see what teams play in the WAC? Let me help you out. San Jose St, New Mexico St, Utah St, Idaho, Hawaii, Nevada, LA Tech, Boise St, and Fresno St. Heck even Frank Solich destroyed those teams. In Solich's era, he played Utah St (2002 &2003), TCU (2001), San Jose St (2000), La Tech (1998) and outscored all 4 of those teams 201-67. At Alabama, he went 17-8 and never won a SEC title. At Texas A&M he went 11-13 his first 2 years and is currently 5-3 and won't win a Big12 title either. Yeah, another great hire who hasn't shown anything to be proud of on a resume

I guess taking a team to a Superbowl is less impressive then winning a WAC TITLE hehe.gif

Shula? He is 10-15 his first 2 years after going 4-9 and 6-6. The only reason you mentioned him was b/c he is undefeated this year. It took him 3 years to go undefeated and the season isn't over year. If he was 4-4 at this point, we wouldn't be having this discussion

Pelini or Gill? Now i know you are being sarcastic

bigredhusker427 said:

I agree that the previous staff was great. If we had them back and had the recruiting we have now, we would be AWESOME

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

NU fan in Denver said:

So you would rather go to a bowl game by winning 7 of 10 games against teams that never went to a bowl game that year? Exactly how does that show we are a good team? ISU was 2-10, Penn St was 3-9 and CU was 5-6. Those teams we beat were not the same caliber teams from the year before. If it helps you sleep at night knowing you beat some pathetic teams that year, go for it.

Formerfan said:

Im not saying that it was a NC caliber season, but beating those teams is much better than losing to them, no???

Much better for fans to comfort themselves like you have done by continuing to refer to that particular season. One day (god i hope) you will actually look at that season and see that those wins were a mirage. They were a illusion. The Solich regime was trying to convince us that there was improvement but KSU, Texas and Missouri proved there wasn't since 2002. Some people can see that FACT, some people like yourself continue to buy into that illusion

Mike Stoops is 2-6 this year and will end up 3-8 after losing his next 2 of 3 against UCLA, and Arizona St and probably beating 1-7 Washington. That's exactly his same record last year. How is a 6-16 record better then a 12-10 record? Ironically, 2 of his 3 wins this year will be against the same 2 teams he beat last year (Northern Arizona DIV-AA team, Washington) with Oregon St and Arizona St flip flopping this year and last year. In fact, Arizona is at the same NCAA statistical ranking this year as it was last year, meaning they haven't even shown improvements and will miss a bowl game for a second consecutive year. Being a good assistant at Oklahoma doesn't make you a good head coach. Yeah, great hire that would be  :dumdum

If I remember correctly, AU has been terrible for a few years before Stoops was there (1-10 in 03??). Lets use your argument, he doesnt have his players, he needs time to install his offense.......

Charlie Weis You know for a FACT NU doesn't have the money to throw at Wiess.

Sure, but they have enough to pay billy c. $1 million, along with buying out the contracts of the previous staff....youre only fooling yourself.

And by the way, you said being a good NFL coach doesn't mean you are a good college football coach. Just b/c Wiess is 5-2, then all of a sudden you include him in your list.

I guess that being a good NFL coach is better than being a bad NFL coach (billy c). He has made immediate improvements, and has a record of success (3 rings).

[Dennis Franchione? B/c he took TCU and turned them into a respectable program and won a WAC title his third year before he bolted? Since when is winning a WAC title considered an accomplishment. Have you even looked to see what his record was at TCU his first 2 years? He was 15-9........

I guess taking a team to a Superbowl is less impressive then winning a WAC TITLE

He built a bottom feeder into a very nice program, (like KSU-Snyder) which IS much more impressive than taking another mans team, built to go to the SB, to the SB, only to be destroyed, go 4-12 the next year, and have a record of 14-21 after the SB.

Shula? He is 10-15 his first 2 years after going 4-9 and 6-6. The only reason you mentioned him was b/c he is undefeated this year. It took him 3 years to go undefeated and the season isn't over year. If he was 4-4 at this point, we wouldn't be having this discussion

Again, how horrible has Bama been (probation) and he has made a great improvement.

Not the best choices, but better than what we have now.

NU fan in Denver said:

So you would rather go to a bowl game by winning 7 of 10 games against teams that never went to a bowl game that year? Exactly how does that show we are a good team? ISU was 2-10, Penn St was 3-9 and CU was 5-6. Those teams we beat were not the same caliber teams from the year before. If it helps you sleep at night knowing you beat some pathetic teams that year, go for it.

Formerfan said:

Much better for fans to comfort themselves like you have done by continuing to refer to that particular season. One day (god i hope) you will actually look at that season and see that those wins were a mirage. They were a illusion. The Solich regime was trying to convince us that there was improvement but KSU, Texas and Missouri proved there wasn't since 2002. Some people can see that FACT, some people like yourself continue to buy into that illusion

The illusion is that you totally disregard a 10 win/top 20 season, yet get orgasmic over putting up 13 points (regulation) on the mighty Sigh-clones. Bottom line, nobody is saying that 03 was a NC caliber season, but it was damn well sure better than losing to those same caliber type team, and getting embarrassed nationally like NU has (since the firing).

The last 2 years schedules have been terrible, and this staff is now 10-9, at best 14-9, not exactly great numbers. The team has shown little spurts of improvement in some areas, regression in others, but nothing spectacular.

I have said if before, and will again, this coach will never win a Big 12 championship, and will only even win the North if it is as pathetic as it has been the past 2 years. This staff has major problems that have been addressed many times before. Ignore them if you want :dumdum , but they are there.

As far as who I would rather have seen as a coach, Mike Stoops, Chow, Kiffin (even though he is old), Meyer, Spurrier, Weis, Price, Shula, Franchionne (sp?) even Pelini or Gill (long shots) would have been better. There are a ton of great coaches out there, both proven HCs and up-and-coming assistants. In my honest opinion, this is the worst HC/staff in the Big 12 (one of the worst in the nation), the previous staff was a much, much better coaching staff.

Are you trying to be funny? Callahan is 10-9 right now and lets assume he wins 2 of the last 3 games. That puts him at 12-10 (13-10 if you consider a bowl win).

Mike Stoops is 2-6 this year and will end up 3-8 after losing his next 2 of 3 against UCLA, and Arizona St and probably beating 1-7 Washington. That's exactly his same record last year. How is a 6-16 record better then a 12-10 record? Ironically, 2 of his 3 wins this year will be against the same 2 teams he beat last year (Northern Arizona DIV-AA team, Washington) with Oregon St and Arizona St flip flopping this year and last year. In fact, Arizona is at the same NCAA statistical ranking this year as it was last year, meaning they haven't even shown improvements and will miss a bowl game for a second consecutive year. Being a good assistant at Oklahoma doesn't make you a good head coach. Yeah, great hire that would be :dumdum

I won't disagree with Chow or Kiffen because i already said those 2 guys would make me wet myself if we did get them, but look at the negative in the Kiffen Hire. Pederson isn't going to hire Kiffen merly b/c he's only a couple of years away from retirement (he's 64 at the moment) and you agree that he is to old as well. Kids wants young guys to click with like Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll, Mike Shula, etc

Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier are not a realistic choices because both have said they were not interested in the NU position to begin with several times. You said we were promised a wow hire and no matter how much money you threw at them, they would have never come here. I believe chuckd was implying who people think is a wow coach and i believe he was probably referring to guys we could get realistically. Maybe i am reading to much into his question, maybe not. Chuckd can shed some light on what he was trying to ask in his post

Charlie Weis You know for a FACT NU doesn't have the money to throw at Wiess. NU has some good boosters, but nothing like Notre Dame and Texas. Notre Dame also has a TV deal to fund their operation and when they get to a BCS bowl game, they don't have to split it with anyone. And by the way, you said being a good NFL coach doesn't mean you are a good college football coach. Just b/c Wiess is 5-2, then all of a sudden you include him in your list. I think you threw that in more for a bias opinion then actually giving it some thought or you using a double standard here?

He built TCU into a winner. That's better than anything on billy c's resume

Dennis Franchione? B/c he took TCU and turned them into a respectable program and won a WAC title his third year before he bolted? Since when is winning a WAC title considered an accomplishment. Have you even looked to see what his record was at TCU his first 2 years? He was 15-9. Did you even look to see what teams play in the WAC? Let me help you out. San Jose St, New Mexico St, Utah St, Idaho, Hawaii, Nevada, LA Tech, Boise St, and Fresno St. Heck even Frank Solich destroyed those teams. In Solich's era, he played Utah St (2002 &2003), TCU (2001), San Jose St (2000), La Tech (1998) and outscored all 4 of those teams 201-67. At Alabama, he went 17-8 and never won a SEC title. At Texas A&M he went 11-13 his first 2 years and is currently 5-3 and won't win a Big12 title either. Yeah, another great hire who hasn't shown anything to be proud of on a resume

I guess taking a team to a Superbowl is less impressive then winning a WAC TITLE hehe.gif

bigredhusker427 said:

I agree that the previous staff was great. If we had them back and had the recruiting we have now, we would be AWESOME

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

NU fan in Denver said:

Formerfan said:

Are YOU trying to be funny? Callahan is 10-9, and if we win out the rest of the season and a bowl game he will be 14-10. Wow, I guess you're right Nameless. 14-10 is pretty spectacular.

I believe chuckd was implying who people think is a wow coach and i believe he was probably referring to guys we could get realistically. Maybe i am reading to much into his question, maybe not. Chuckd can shed some light on what he was trying to ask in his post

Yes, soory if I was vauge, I was trying to see who people thought we should get, of the people we actually had a chance of getting.

People like Spurrier, Meyer, and Francinone I'm fairly sure we didn't really have any chance of getting.

I'm also pretty sure the only team Weiss would coach would be ND (being an alum and all) otherwise, I'm fairly sure we would stay in the NFL

I love Nebraska and think it is the greatest college in all the land, but I think some people overestimate its allure. I don't think there are a whole lot of well-known coaches out there that are really licking their lips to come to Lincoln, Nebraska to coach. I think the fact that Callahan was basically forced out of Oakland and saw the opportunity to come to a top notch school was lucky on our part (i know some will disagree)

I guess what I'm tryinig to say IMO is that Nebraska isn't the "dream job" that many Nebraska faithful think it to be. Heck we have only had four coaches in the last 40 years or so and two of those are college coaching legends.

Again, let me stress that I think Nebraska is a great college and a great program, but as far as "top flight" coaches, I'm not sure it would be any of thier first choices.

Formerfan, i have proved my point. You are here just to be negative and your hatred for Pederson is spilling over to the coaching staff. That's all it is. Amazing how you have an excuse for everything. Your excuses are becoming a broken record and dedhoarse

Are YOU trying to be funny? Callahan is 10-9, and if we win out the rest of the season and a bowl game he will be 14-10. Wow, I guess you're right Nameless. 14-10 is pretty spectacular

I never said spectaular did i? 14-10 is much better then being 11-13 or 10-15. 14-10 might not be the best record to some people but its a start. Right now, with the way the offense is still having problems and depth still being an issue which we have Solich to thank for that, i would rather be above .500 then be below it

Formerfan, i have proved my point. You are here just to be negative and your hatred for Pederson is spilling over to the coaching staff. That's all it is. 

You have proven nothing but your own ignorance. You have no leg to stand on, no way to refute what I say, so you act like you are trying to take the high road. Youve never let a little thing like the truth get in the way of a good story before, why would you now?? What a joke! Like I have said hundreds of times in the past, I was behind pud when he said he wanted to bring NU back to the elite, and if firing FS and getting a good coach would do it, I was all for it.

What pissed me off was the lies, the butchering of the search/hiring process, and the last straw was hiring a bad coach who just got fired for going 4-12 and having a mutiny at his last job. Get it :dumdum

Amazing how you have an excuse for everything. Your excuses are becoming a broken record and  dedhoarse

If you want to talk excuses, how about "He doesnt have HIS players" "He doesnt have HIS system in place" "He had injury problems" "The PLAYERS didnt buy in"........yadda, yadda, yadda...... :wacko: When the same problems follow him from job to job to job, maybe the problem isnt the hundreds or thousands of players....maybe since HE is the common denominator, he is the problem :blink:

If i had my pick and Callahan wasn't the head coach, i would have chosen him.

Just shows how little you know, or you are not telling the truth. billy c wasnt available until he got canned some 2 months after the FS firing, and a host of people turned pud down.

So you would have chosen a coach that just led his team one of the worst turnarounds in league history and had a player revolt???? :dumdum With your track record, it wouldnt suprise me. :thumbs

But look what pud has delivered us.....10-9 after FS. Wow, that's not mediocre, what an upgrade :wacko:

This is my first post so go easy on me. I have been reading this board since the beginning of the season and found some very interesting comments and thoughts as well as information on recruiting etc.

I have been a Husker fan my whole life and regardless of what the team does I will be. After reading posts after the Oklahoma game and how the team is doing and who should coach there's one thing I don't get. Why is ANYONE complaining about the coaching staff when

1. I believe everyone knows firing our current staff would leave us at the luck and mercy of getting lucky enough to find a good up and coming coach.

2. If the program is in shambles it has nothing to do with Callahan, I would put the blame 100% on Mr. AD.

3. These kids are playing their absolute hearts out for this staff. I will agree there are certainly times they don't seem prepared but I have NEVER had hope of Nebraska coming back from 21 points, and now I do.

Win or Lose this team for me is a lot of fun to watch, except the Missouri game. I see pride in this team and a passion for the game.

The one thing I don't agree with yet is that we know if Callahan is a "loser". Simply because he couldn't get the raiders to win doesn't mean squat. Why did Chucky leave the raiders if they were so awesome? I'm sure he saw writing on the wall as had the other 7 coaches the raiders have gone through in the last 15 years. Many NFL players, more so on the raiders team, think a little to much of themselves. The raiders owner doesn't help.

Negative can always be found in any situation if that's what you are looking for. Give Callahan a chance, I personally think he's going the right direction, and if it doesn't work after 4-5 years we are at least in a position to argue our point to the college football world that a change was necessary instead of "Here those dumb farmers go again."

This is my first post so go easy on me. I have been reading this board since the beginning of the season and found some very interesting comments and thoughts as well as information on recruiting etc.

I have been a Husker fan my whole life and regardless of what the team does I will be. After reading posts after the Oklahoma game and how the team is doing and who should coach there's one thing I don't get. Why is ANYONE complaining about the coaching staff when

1. I believe everyone knows firing our current staff would leave us at the luck and mercy of getting lucky enough to find a good up and coming coach.

2. If the program is in shambles it has nothing to do with Callahan, I would put the blame 100% on Mr. AD.

3. These kids are playing their absolute hearts out for this staff. I will agree there are certainly times they don't seem prepared but I have NEVER had hope of Nebraska coming back from 21 points, and now I do.

Win or Lose this team for me is a lot of fun to watch, except the Missouri game. I see pride in this team and a passion for the game.

The one thing I don't agree with yet is that we know if Callahan is a "loser". Simply because he couldn't get the raiders to win doesn't mean squat. Why did Chucky leave the raiders if they were so awesome? I'm sure he saw writing on the wall as had the other 7 coaches the raiders have gone through in the last 15 years. Many NFL players, more so on the raiders team, think a little to much of themselves. The raiders owner doesn't help.

Negative can always be found in any situation if that's what you are looking for. Give Callahan a chance, I personally think he's going the right direction, and if it doesn't work after 4-5 years we are at least in a position to argue our point to the college football world that a change was necessary instead of "Here those dumb farmers go again."

Welcome aboard iahuskerfan! :cheers

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, you bring up some very good points. Look fwd to hearing more from you in the future.

I like callahan and was a raiders fan before and after his two year stay. I was shocked when he was hired but if he were fired... I would definately want a defensive minded guy... how cool would it be to get someone like Butkis in here? if he doesn't want the job I would definately have no qualms about doin it...but not for pud :dumdum