Good Job Big10...

Lonnie Utah

Saw this one ESPN...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7528614/some-big-ten-offering-4-year-scholarships

Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois confirmed to ESPN.com that they have given out four-year scholarships to this class. Ohio State and Nebraska also confirmed on signing day that they are giving out scholarships that no longer have to be renewed annually.

I like this. Big Props.

Thanks everyone. I still check in here about once a week to see what's going on. Funny thing is this place could be CT, with only the names (players/coaches/posters) changed. :lol: I mostly lurk now, but when saw that and had to post it here.

I have a few co-workers that went to/pull for Big10 schools (no huskers tho), so coming here helps me keep up with their teams too.

OK this will sound like I am Debbie Downer but after watching the madness of signing day (especially the hotly contested deep south area where it is 99% african americans being recruited) I can't hep but think this is a form of modern day slavery. The schools and coaches make millions of dollars off these kids and I know for fact that most are steered toward easy majors, classes, "athete-friendly" professors, etc. Personally I believe academic standards need to be raised or have more oversight to prevent abuse or skirting the system.

OK this will sound like I am Debbie Downer but after watching the madness of signing day (especially the hotly contested deep south area where it is 99% african americans being recruited) I can't hep but think this is a form of modern day slavery.

Yeah, remember how Kunta Kinta never used his free college degree?

OK this will sound like I am Debbie Downer but after watching the madness of signing day (especially the hotly contested deep south area where it is 99% african americans being recruited) I can't hep but think this is a form of modern day slavery.

Yeah, remember how Kunta Kinta never used his free college degree?

Dammit I was trying to stear the conversation away from those comments.

Count me as one who would KILL to be one of those "Slaves"

You cannot be serious.

Every single one of us as kids dreams of being one of these guys for our beloved University. And that is just on the field.

Free education at a University(think about that for a second while you send your monthly check to repay student loans),free food, free room, free connections(think about all the people they meet and the relationships they make when they realize the NFL is a dream), free exercise and strength training(silly you. paying a membership to a gym), and women(just being real. Just try and tell me women don't throw themselves at these guys).

That comment is right up there with Adrian Peterson saying that NFL players are slaves. ludicrous beyond all belief.

What I wanna know is this positive for Big Ten recruiting or negative?

Will this sway more kids to head this way or will the inability to cut kids like almost all of the SEC schools diminish our depth?

I see it being a big risk. In some situations it could be really good to tell a kid (and parents) that they will a scholly for years no matter the situation. On the other side, it hurts the program with the inveitable of losing a certain percentage of your recruiting class, and not being able to replace the prospect.

For Nebraska, I could see it killing the walk-on program. If your big pitch to give up a scholly to UNK, NW Missouri St, SDSU, etc is that if you work hard and get on the field that in 2-3 years you could be seeing a scholarship. If you have all your money tied in multi-year scholarships, there will be none to give walk-ons.

What I wanna know is this positive for Big Ten recruiting or negative?

Will this sway more kids to head this way or will the inability to cut kids like almost all of the SEC schools diminish our depth?

I see it being a big risk. In some situations it could be really good to tell a kid (and parents) that they will a scholly for years no matter the situation. On the other side, it hurts the program with the inveitable of losing a certain percentage of your recruiting class, and not being able to replace the prospect.

For Nebraska, I could see it killing the walk-on program. If your big pitch to give up a scholly to UNK, NW Missouri St, SDSU, etc is that if you work hard and get on the field that in 2-3 years you could be seeing a scholarship. If you have all your money tied in multi-year scholarships, there will be none to give walk-ons.

Forgot about the walk on program. We are going to be walking a thin line with recruiting guys to keep up with SEC cuts and reloads. This really does kill the walk ons and rewarding those guys.