Obama's assault on religion is beginning

Breaking news... Obama caves to the Republicans!

http://www.guardian....-rules-backlash

Breaking news... the sun came up in the morning!

How is this a compromise when the people he is supposed to be compromising with say it's not?

http://online.wsj.co..._LEFTTopStories

Ummm . . . do you think anyone who leans towards the GOP will EVER give Obama credit for anything? The man keeps passing laws based on Republican ideas . . . and they still try to claim that he is the most radical leftist president in history.

Who exactly are you talking about? The majority of Catholics voted for Obama in 2008 so why wouldn't they give him credit for this? Because it isn't what they wanted in the first place thus not the compromise that is being touted by the majority on the left. I'm not even saying I agree with the stance of the Catholic church on this issue or their stance on birth control. As I mentioned before, if you take the government funding then follow the stipulations. Don't like the stipulations, quit taking the money and do what you like. I guess I am just more open minded to the fact that this "compromise" isn't what it appears to be. I just wish people would call it for what it is.

98% of Catholic women have used birth control that is not approved of by the Catholic Church. So . . . who exactly is against it? The Catholic establishment? I guess that leads to a bigger question: who is the Catholic Church? The pope and his bishops . . . or the Catholic people themselves? I'd lean towards the latter.

This compromise wasn't even necessary. If anything, this administration has been overly solicitous to unnecessary demands.

The hypocrisy of the practicing Catholics on subject is noted but it still doesn't change the fact the this wasn't the compromise they demanded and as I mentioned before and mention one more time, the left has a real hard time admitting that as your reply indicates. As for the 98%, yes that is true, but what does that really mean? All it would take is to use a condom once and you are in that percentile. Are you saying practicing Catholics are supposed to be perfect in their religious practices? I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to get drunk either. The better question may be how many are actively on the pill or have gotten abortions for example, the things that they have concerns over with the insurance coverage.

The thing is this isn't only about contraceptives, but other issues like wanting all organizations to also offer insurance for sterilization and abortion. I do think they will make a compromise for the contraceptives but not sterilization or abortion.

You are wrong. It is in fact only about contraceptives. Abortion isn't even in the discussion.

This is about condoms and birth control pills. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! God forbid that we curb STDs and unwanted pregnancies. What we need most in this country are more kids that parents didn't really want.

I wouldn't worry about the Catholics on that matter. I think the left has that one covered pretty well. :D

The hypocrisy of the practicing Catholics on subject is noted but it still doesn't change the fact the this wasn't the compromise they demanded and as I mentioned before and mention one more time, the left has a real hard time admitting that as your reply indicates. As for the 98%, yes that is true, but what does that really mean? All it would take is to use a condom once and you are in that percentile. Are you saying practicing Catholics are supposed to be perfect in their religious practices? I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to get drunk either. The better question may be how many are actively on the pill or have gotten abortions for example, the things that they have concerns over with the insurance coverage.

"[it] wasn't the compromise they demanded." And there is the rub. They don't want compromise. They want their demands met . . . completely. That's not a compromise.

I'm saying the Catholic Church should join us here in the modern world. They mandated that Catholic women be barred from using birth control back in 1968. (For some reason trying to avoid pregnancy through "Natural Family Planning" was exempted.)

It's a brave new world where women should have equal rights. I'd welcome the Church joining us here in 2012.

God forbid that we curb STDs and unwanted pregnancies.

Apparently, god does forbid it, but blaming the licentious nature of women is always good for extra points when you're punching in to heaven...or looking for votes.

Those women of loose morals! How dare they?!

Please. God didnt forbid it. The whole reason there is the 'no sex outside marrige' has to do with property rights. Its origin has nothing to do with morals, just money and land.

The thing is this isn't only about contraceptives, but other issues like wanting all organizations to also offer insurance for sterilization and abortion. I do think they will make a compromise for the contraceptives but not sterilization or abortion.

You are wrong. It is in fact only about contraceptives. Abortion isn't even in the discussion.

This is about condoms and birth control pills. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! God forbid that we curb STDs and unwanted pregnancies. What we need most in this country are more kids that parents didn't really want.

Ummm no I'm not, and this is the problem with the fight. Everyone has made it about Contraceptives and that's it.

And about the Catholics changing thier beliefs to suit to suit your needs that is completely absurd. And you Are Wrong to even suggest this.

Ummm no I'm not, and this is the problem with the fight. Everyone has made it about Contraceptives and that's it.

And about the Catholics changing thier beliefs to suit to suit your needs that is completely absurd. And you Are Wrong to even suggest this.

Could you find me the bible verse that says "thou shalt not provide contraceptives to your neighbor?"

I don't really care what Catholics or any other religion believes. That's their business. I would, however, appreciate if they would give ALL people equal rights and protections.

You're still wrong. Please show how this mandated abortions. Thanks.

Could you find me the bible verse that says "thou shalt not provide contraceptives to your neighbor?"

I don't really care what Catholics or any other religion believes. That's their business. I would, however, appreciate if they would give ALL people equal rights and protections.

LMAO at the Bible thing that's funny.

It definately is a stepping stone I am not re-reading the whole thing. And, it is your right to believe or not believe anything you want. I choose to believe in my religion, I choose to belive in the Constitution. I also believe in the Freedom of religion.

LMAO at the Bible thing that's funny.

It definately is a stepping stone I am not re-reading the whole thing. And, it is your right to believe or not believe anything you want. I choose to believe in my religion, I choose to belive in the Constitution. I also believe in the Freedom of religion.

I'm glad that you believe in the Constitution. I do too. Please explain how this violates it.

A stepping stone? That's your argument? OK. I'll play that game. The Catholic Church's ban on contraceptives is a stepping stone to enslaving all women. This is fun . . . and way easier than actually making a coherent and logical argument.

Husker freak is right. It has to do with abortions too. At mass last week, the priest read a letter sent by the archbishop of Omaha concerning the new bill, and abortions was one of the topics discussed.

And why would the Catholic Church change their stance on contraceptives when they believe sex should be used for procreation purposes only? Isn't the purpose of contraceptives to stop procreation...

And why would the Catholic Church change their stance on contraceptives when they believe sex should be used for procreation purposes only? Isn't the purpose of contraceptives to stop procreation...

The purpose of A contraceptive is to stop procreation, yes, but many "contraceptives" are prescribed for other issues i.e. to ease that time of the month (some women it have it way worse than others), to help with other medical conditions such as ovarian cysts, and sometimes to help with acne.

Husker freak is right. It has to do with abortions too. At mass last week, the priest read a letter sent by the archbishop of Omaha concerning the new bill, and abortions was one of the topics discussed.

Why doesn't the Catholic Church read more letters from its bishops about health care, minimum wage and war?

It seems as if they only read the letters that are in line with right wing talking points.

But the regulation has nothing to do with abortion. I don't really care what the Catholic Church believes it means. I care about what it actually says. One is based in reality. One is not.