Triclavianism

Excel

Let's get down to the real topic tearing apart the Christian community. Not abortion, contraceptives, or gay marriage/clergy but Triclavianism. Was Christ pierced with three nails or four?

Remember that back in the 13th century Pope Innocent III declared that belief in the three nail theory was a heresy and its adherents were to be viewed as apostates of the church.

Discuss...

Let's get down to the real topic tearing apart the Christian community. Not abortion, contraceptives, or gay marriage/clergy but Triclavianism. Was Christ pierced with three nails or four?

Remember that back in the 13th century Pope Innocent III declared that belief in the three nail theory was a heresy and its adherents were to be viewed as apostates of the church.

Discuss...

So this only applies to Catholics?

Where the hell was the fourth nail?

One for each wrist, one in each foot.

The paintings we have from this period aren't just random works of art, they're sometimes important symbolic representations of the position of The Church, and the many kings and princes who derived their power from God. Symbolism was a major factor in the everyday lives of these people, and whether Jesus was pierced by three nails or four was, at one time, a hotbed issue. The depiction of crucifixion involving three nails has as much to do with Medieval sensibilities as anything, since it's far more "proper" to depict a nearly-naked Christ with His legs modestly crossed rather than splayed in an ungainly fashion.

Discuss...

Not sure it really matters but if I has to guess I would say three I meant four. I watched a documnetary on the roman practice of crucifixion and they found a heel of man who was crucified around the time of Christ. The hole from the nail went throught that back of the heel and they believed that one nail was used for both of his each feet (foot).

Why does this matter so much? How does this affect the way you would perceive the events of the passion? What if they used just ropes to torture and hang Jesus does that somehow change someone's belief that he is our Lord and Savior? That would be crazy to me!! :ahhhhhhhh

And why do they argue whether or not the Roman centurian pierced Jesus on the left or right side with his spear

Medieval mores. The left hand was demonized and considered "ungodly." It's actually quite common among ancient cultures.

And even modern cultures if you are Catholic (You would know this) you have had your knuckles smacked if you wrote left handed. :hmmph

Discuss...

I have found an intereseting article on crucifixions and how the Roman tactic of crucifixion was used as am intimidating sight.

http://www.myspace.com/bertgary/blog/362366570

And why do they argue whether or not the Roman centurian pierced Jesus on the left or right side with his spear

Medieval mores. The left hand was demonized and considered "ungodly." It's actually quite common among ancient cultures.

And even modern cultures if you are Catholic (You would know this) you have had your knuckles smacked if you wrote left handed. :hmmph

There are some countries where it is still viewed as evil and 'unclean' to use you left hand to eat with, among many other things.

I've been pondering this topic for a few days now. Here's what I got.

• On the one hand nails--especially large crucifixion spikes--were undoubtedly very costly back then. Big spikes probably cost like a week's wages or something. Maybe more. That weighs in the favor of three.

• On the other hand I'm sure they recycled the crucifixion spikes. They could get many dozens of crucifixions out of a spike, bringing down the costs considerably. So cost wouldn't be an issue. That weighs in the favor of four.

• But it would be incredibly difficult to pound a nail through both feet at once. The guy would be wiggling and all. It be easier to handle each foot separately. That also weighs in the favor of four.

• Then again the guys being crucified had just gotten the living sh#t beat out of them. They were probably barely alive, let alone able to put up a fight. And the soldiers could just strap both feet in place with ropes or leather straps while doing the nailing. That weighs in the favor of three.

• But it seems like four nails would produce a much more stable crucifixion--less likely to result in an embarrassing crucifix failure. That weighs in the favor of four.

• While four nails would produce a more sturdy and stable crucifixion, it seems that three nails would be much more painful. Which is really the point, isn't it? That weighs in the favor of three.

The conclusion? I got nothing. I'm just thankful that this is perhaps the least significant topic involving religion I've ever contemplated.

The conclusion? I got nothing. I'm just thankful that this is perhaps the least significant topic involving religion I've ever contemplated.

That is heresy, you will be going to hell for your indifference.

Ha ha! I'm not worried. I may be indifferent to Triclavianism--to the point where I ridicule the issue. But I spend a LOT of time contemplating topics of importance in religion. I don't post much about God in this forum because the religion trolls come out of the woodwork to ridicule every serious discussion on the topic. I truly feel sorry for them. But I don't think preaching from me, or from anyone else, would help much. If I thought people would listen with an open mind I'd be glad to share my experiences, and do what I can to point others in the right direction.