Santorum thinks your college education is a bad thing

Is Santorum trying to throw this thing? How do you say something like this and expect to be your party's nominee, let alone win the general election?

“President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college, what a snob,” he said. “There are good, decent men and women who work hard every day and put their skills to the test that aren’t taught by some liberal college professor. And trying to indoctrinate them.”

Santorum doubled down on his comments from Thursday, saying “the indoctrination going on at the university level is a harm to our country” thanks to Obama.

Ironically, Santorum would be calling himself “a snob” as well based on his past history. In 2006, while he was a senator, Santorum pushed to make college more affordable for all Pennsylvanians.

LINK

Is Santorum trying to throw this thing? How do you say something like this and expect to be your party's nominee, let alone win the general election?

“President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college, what a snob,” he said. “There are good, decent men and women who work hard every day and put their skills to the test that aren’t taught by some liberal college professor. And trying to indoctrinate them.”

Santorum doubled down on his comments from Thursday, saying “the indoctrination going on at the university level is a harm to our country” thanks to Obama.

Ironically, Santorum would be calling himself “a snob” as well based on his past history. In 2006, while he was a senator, Santorum pushed to make college more affordable for all Pennsylvanians.

LINK

Cause he's a crazy Republican and it is now showing and all the more reason why Romney will win. I really don't know why everyone is crazy on keeping manufacture jobs when more people are going to college to get away from doing that. Since we are a first world country manufacturing would decline as a result.

He didn't say that at all. He said that not ALL Americans should go. Some should. But college isn't for everyone, and simply going to college will not automatically give you a better life.

Use common sense.

No it doesn't but it means you are very teachable and have some degree of skill in a particular area which would eventually lead to a better life at some point.

He didn't say that at all. He said that not ALL Americans should go. Some should. But college isn't for everyone, and simply going to college will not automatically give you a better life.

Use common sense.

No it doesn't but it means you are very teachable and have some degree of skill in a particular area which would eventually lead to a better life at some point.

I would agree with you if you assume that college entrance requirements are set appropriately, but I don't believe that's true. There are very, very, very unintelligent people admitted to colleges every year. What do you need, like an 18 on the ACT? 50%? Those people are not smart and probably don't have very many skills that can be honed in a college classroom.

Use common sense.

I would agree with you if you assume that college entrance requirements are set appropriately, but I don't believe that's true. There are very, very, very unintelligent people admitted to colleges every year. What do you need, like an 18 on the ACT? 50%? Those people are not smart and probably don't have very many skills that can be honed in a college classroom.

That's complete crap. You always learn something you didn't know about an area. test scores don't mean much. there are a lot of people who don't do good on tests. I never said you honed your skills but you get better. Honing takes place in the first couple of years of actually doing it as a job hardly in college. By the way you responded i guess you approve of Japanese high school that if you don't get a certain score you will work either a low paying job or high paying job for the rest of your life? If you scored below you don't get a shot at college period.

Two points.

1 - Obama includes trade schools or associate degrees and job training in his goals, not just 4-year universities.

2 - As stated in another thread, Santorum thinks Satan basicly rules 'accadamia' already. He had some random number for the percentage of students who leave college less reigious than they entered it. Which he thinks is the work of the devil.

He claimed that "62 percent of kids who go into college with a faith commitment leave without it," but declined to cite a source for the figure. And he floated the idea of requiring universities that receive public funds have "intellectual diversity" on campus. Criticized by his Republican rivals for supporting the Bush education law, which increased government-mandated testing in schools, Santorum has said he voted for it as "part of the (GOP) team." He told Beck that as president, "I'll be the team leader, not the team member."

A champion of home-schooling, Santorum also expanded on his vision of dramatically reduced involvement in public education by both the states and the federal government, although he was more exact about eliminating the present system than his plan for replacing it.

He said, "Education should be the parental responsibility and the local community should be the one to be working with the parents to make sure that children get the best educational in environment for each child in America. The federal government needs to get out of education. The state government by and large needs to get out of education, other than making sure there are sufficient resources, particularly in poorer neighborhoods, to be able to help (have) some sort of equality of education in America ... to have the resources to have the best customized education."

LINK

So Santorum wants to overhaul our education system? WTF?? There are so many worse problems that need to be fixed. Education is one of the few things that still work well in this country. Or at least fairly well.

Rick Santorum:

1) Hates gay people for religious reasons.

2) Thinks that women should be subservient to men for religious reasons.

3) Believes that the resources of the planet should be ravaged corporations for religious reasons.

4) Believes that Satan is controlling America for religious reasons.

5) Does not believe in education for religious reasons.

6) Wants to invade Iran for religious reasons.

What fringe, lunatic religious cult has he been brainwashed by?

• Fire 4

Use common sense.

The bolded is so true. When I decided not to finish college, I was looked down upon among my peers that were still in school finishing there degrees. Fast forward 5 years later, they are up to there ears in debt, cant find a good enough job to pay there student loans and live comfortably. Meanwhile, Im basically debt free other than buying a house within the next 6 months.

Use common sense.

The context of Obama's quote -- "We want everybody to go to college, and we don't want them going broke doing it". It was in a town hall speech that was not primarily about education.

Santorum is the one being the snob. He has a bachelor's degree from a prestigious state university, MBA, and JD, yet his comments imply that his audience is too stupid to attend a university and be an "independent" (being generous) thinker like himself. Strigori is also correct with the statement that much of Obama's policy goal of increased accessed to college has been focused on technical schools and using federal money for education more efficiency, i.e. defunding online degree mills.

• Fire 2

LINK

I actually agree with Santorum on this one. There are plenty of well paying occupations that do not require a B.A. Why dilute the 4 year colleges with students that would have been better off going to technical colleges?

Use common sense.

That's complete crap. You always learn something you didn't know about an area. test scores don't mean much. there are a lot of people who don't do good on tests. I never said you honed your skills but you get better. Honing takes place in the first couple of years of actually doing it as a job hardly in college. By the way you responded i guess you approve of Japanese high school that if you don't get a certain score you will work either a low paying job or high paying job for the rest of your life? If you scored below you don't get a shot at college period.

True, you may learn more in college. But does it translate into actual results? How many college graduates are out there working in areas that don't require education?

Here's my example: Take a dummy of a kid, barely gets into college. He knows he's not very smart, so he majors in something like sociology. Four (probably five) years later he gets his degree, and now he's ready to go into thte world. What type of job is he going to get? A better one than he could have just gotten right out of high school? Theoretically yes, but it doesn't always happen like that. I'm guessing with those types of degrees it doesn't happen much.

To be honest, college isn't about learning. It's an investment for the future. Spend money now, make more money later. You can learn all you want, but if you don't do it in a way to acheive the "make money later" part then you're wasting your time. Huskerscott is spot on.

Use common sense.

True, you may learn more in college. But does it translate into actual results? How many college graduates are out there working in areas that don't require education?

Here's my example: Take a dummy of a kid, barely gets into college. He knows he's not very smart, so he majors in something like sociology. Four (probably five) years later he gets his degree, and now he's ready to go into thte world. What type of job is he going to get? A better one than he could have just gotten right out of high school? Theoretically yes, but it doesn't always happen like that. I'm guessing with those types of degrees it doesn't happen much.

To be honest, college isn't about learning. It's an investment for the future. Spend money now, make more money later. You can learn all you want, but if you don't do it in a way to acheive the "make money later" part then you're wasting your time. Huskerscott is spot on.

You always learn more in college and plus you social network to help get you jobs after college that otherwise you wouldn't have. It always translates into results if you keep at it and just because it didn't pan out right after college doesn't mean it never will.

FYI: you don't major in sociology unless you get something higher than a BA. the college advisor will tell you this before you even start. There are starting to be a lot of jobs that require more than a BA now.

College is about learning and long term investment. I should also point out that roughly half of college graduates never enter the field they graduated in. It doesn't mean they wasted money it means that degree is alot more applicable than their area of learning.

LINK

I actually agree with Santorum on this one. There are plenty of well paying occupations that do not require a B.A. Why dilute the 4 year colleges with students that would have been better off going to technical colleges?

Obama is actually for trade schools and job training along with colleges. Santorum is not telling the full story. Just pandering to the Wal-mart workers,