Nebraska WBB vs. Ohio State

knapplc

That was a heck of a game. After a late-season slide saw us lose four out of five, falling from #13 to #23, hosting #8 Ohio State wasn't going to be easy.

Nobody told the Fightin' Yoris, though.

Nebraska built a 15-point lead early in the second half behind Emily Cady's 24 (tied for career high), and finished with a 14-point win, 71-57.

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP)—Emily Cady scored 24 points to match her career high and No. 23 Nebraska upset eighth-ranked Ohio State 71-57, the Buckeyes’ second loss in three games, on Sunday.

The Cornhuskers (21-7, 10-6 Big Ten) bounced back from a 20-point loss at Michigan State for only their second win in six games. The Buckeyes (24-5, 11-5) lost for the fifth time in eight conference road games.

Cady had her best game since scoring 24 in the Huskers’ 82-68 loss at Ohio State on Jan. 19. The freshman forward made 9 of 16 shots from the floor after scoring just four points against the Spartans on Thursday.

Brandi Jeffery and Rebecca Woodberry scored eight apiece for Nebraska. The Buckeyes shut down the Huskers’ season scoring leaders, Jordan Hooper and Lindsey Moore. Hooper had seven points and Moore nine, most of them coming after the game was decided.

LINK

When this team shoots it well they can beat anyone.

Get the 6th seed in the conference tourney. Not that bad of a draw though. Get Northwestern in the first round, and then Iowa in the second round. And Herky lost their best player to an ACL. Penn State is on the opposite side of the bracket.

I see two wins(they will defend the post better against Northwestern this time around and then crush Herky) and then falling to OSU in the semi finals.

That should lock up a 5 seed at WORSE in the Big Dance.

Emily Cady, bad knee and all, played one HELL of a game today. The young frosh off the bench added quality minutes as well.

Those freshmen are going to be pretty darned good in the next few years. Yori should be able to keep recruiting momentum going with the facilities she's recruiting to, with her resume, and with her track record of winning. The women's team is in pretty good shape right now.

Am I wrong in thinking that Yori's success on the women's side unintentionally adds 'that much' more fire under Doc's seat?

Those freshmen are going to be pretty darned good in the next few years. Yori should be able to keep recruiting momentum going with the facilities she's recruiting to, with her resume, and with her track record of winning. The women's team is in pretty good shape right now.

Am I wrong in thinking that Yori's success on the women's side unintentionally adds 'that much' more fire under Doc's seat?

While it certainly puts an unflattering spotlight on the side by side comparison.....................I doubt that it enters T.O.'s decision making process much.............

The biggest thing I believe between the two is that Connie has the ability to recruit here in Nebraska where Doc doesn't have that much of a luxery. There is a good handful of Division I talent year in and year out of Nebraska on the girls side. It is kinda interesting that usually five or more girls sign with D1 programs each year. Might be kind of a trickle effect of the volleyball program being so good, that girls seem encouraged to play multiple sports. Not sure, just interesting. Of course Doc passes on some of the HS kids that go D1. Sad that guys would rather go wilt away on the bench at another program than be a pretty solid contributor here(Matt Hill).

But more to your question, I believe Yori's success does in some effect. This fan base will back a winner, we have seen it. When the Women's team is outdrawing the Men's, it is seen and noted.

The biggest thing I believe between the two is that Connie has the ability to recruit here in Nebraska where Doc doesn't have that much of a luxery. There is a good handful of Division I talent year in and year out of Nebraska on the girls side. It is kinda interesting that usually five or more girls sign with D1 programs each year. Might be kind of a trickle effect of the volleyball program being so good, that girls seem encouraged to play multiple sports. Not sure, just interesting. Of course Doc passes on some of the HS kids that go D1. Sad that guys would rather go wilt away on the bench at another program than be a pretty solid contributor here(Matt Hill).

But more to your question, I believe Yori's success does in some effect. This fan base will back a winner, we have seen it. When the Women's team is outdrawing the Men's, it is seen and noted.

I remember reading somewhere about how Nebraska never really had a shot with Hill. Old article, I'll see if I can find, but it's sad that a kid from Lincoln gets by our staff and plays for the vermin of Austin, no less.

I think Osborne is going to take the rash of injuries into account when evaluating this season. Plus our SOS is going to be a factor - according to Sagarin, we've played the 4th-toughest SOS in the country. We've played eight top-25 teams this year, and beaten one of them. Yes, we got absolutely obliterated by two of them (over four games), and weren't all that competitive in several more games, but the fact that we've lost so many guys to injury, including our two big men in the middle, really inhibits Doc from succeeding.