SEC, Big Ten lead TV ratings

knapplc

Frank the Tank compiled some numbers for the 2011 season in both football and Men's basketball. We definitely moved up in viewership by joining the B1G.

Here are the average football viewership totals by conference according to Nielsen:

1. SEC – 4,447,000

2. Big Ten – 3,267,000

3. ACC – 2,650,000

4. Big 12 – 2,347,000

5. Pac-12 – 2,108,000

6. Big East – 1,884,000

Here are the average basketball viewership totals by conference according to Nielsen:

1. Big Ten – 1,496,000

2. ACC – 1,247,000

3. SEC – 1,222,000

4. Big 12 – 1,069,000

5. Big East – 1,049,000

6. Pac-12 – 783,000

Some takeaways from those figures:

A. The Big Ten and SEC deserve every penny that they receive and then some – The readers of this blog probably aren’t surprised by the football viewership numbers, but the proverbial icing on the cake is how strong both of them are in basketball. ACC alum Scott Van Pelt of ESPN once said, “Watching Big Ten basketball is like watching fat people have sex.” Well, the Big Ten even tops the vaunted the ACC in basketball viewership and it’s by a fairly healthy margin.

There's a full PDF with lots more data, and some more analysis of the numbers on the blog. LINK

Frank the Tank compiled some numbers for the 2011 season in both football and Men's basketball. We definitely moved up in viewership by joining the B1G.

Here are the average football viewership totals by conference according to Nielsen:

1. SEC – 4,447,000

2. Big Ten – 3,267,000

3. ACC – 2,650,000

4. Big 12 – 2,347,000

5. Pac-12 – 2,108,000

6. Big East – 1,884,000

Here are the average basketball viewership totals by conference according to Nielsen:

1. Big Ten – 1,496,000

2. ACC – 1,247,000

3. SEC – 1,222,000

4. Big 12 – 1,069,000

5. Big East – 1,049,000

6. Pac-12 – 783,000

A. The Big Ten and SEC deserve every penny that they receive and then some – The readers of this blog probably aren’t surprised by the football viewership numbers, but the proverbial icing on the cake is how strong both of them are in basketball. ACC alum Scott Van Pelt of ESPN once said, “Watching Big Ten basketball is like watching fat people have sex.” Well, the Big Ten even tops the vaunted the ACC in basketball viewership and it’s by a fairly healthy margin.

There's a full PDF with lots more data, and some more analysis of the numbers on the blog. LINK

I would have thought that Big East BB would have been higher than that.

Also, are the numbers arrived at such that cross comparisons can be made? Seemingly so. If so, that says, essentially that college football is ca. 2.5 times as popular, over, than college basketball.

Interesting.

Thanks for the info.

1. SEC – 4,447,000

2. Big Ten – 3,267,000

3. ACC – 2,650,000

4. Big 12 – 2,347,000

5. Pac-12 – 2,108,000

6. Big East – 1,884,000

1. Big Ten – 1,496,000

2. ACC – 1,247,000

3. SEC – 1,222,000

4. Big 12 – 1,069,000

5. Big East – 1,049,000

6. Pac-12 – 783,000

I would have thought that Big East BB would have been higher than that.

Also, are the numbers arrived at such that cross comparisons can be made? Seemingly so. If so, that says, essentially that college football is ca. 2.5 times as popular, over, than college basketball.

Interesting.

Thanks for the info.

But there are 2.5 times as many basketball games as there are FB so it balances back out. :)

But there are 2.5 times as many basketball games as there are FB so it balances back out. :)

Which is why *if* the Big 10 expands (read: Notre Dame), Kansas is a very viable second expansion candidate, despite their inept football program.

Trying to find 2010 numbers, but I read a comment where the Nebraska addition made for a good percentage bump in overall viewership for the conference.

That, and the new Big 10 title game for football.

Which is why *if* the Big 10 expands (read: Notre Dame), Kansas is a very viable second expansion candidate, despite their inept football program.

Trying to find 2010 numbers, but I read a comment where the Nebraska addition made for a good percentage bump in overall viewership for the conference.

I am so done w/ Kansas. never have I been happier to rid myself of such sh!tty fans. There are a handful of knowledgeable (sane) KU fans, for every truckload of idiots. I could throw a beer bottle in any direction at Tanners (a bar) and plunk a fat a$$ KU alum wearing a stretched and stained blue sweatshirt, chowing on some wings talking about how great KU basketball is and how football isn't a sport. Acknowledge to any of them any sort of respect for their basketball team (which is pretty damn good), and rather than get a nice basketball discussion you get the constant ridicule of Nebraska hoops. Attempt to discuss football and they get that glassy look in their eyes and dive back into the wings. They are that fan in Wal-Mart, wearing head-to-toe blue/red sweatpants, while picking their a$$ with one hand and eating a slim jim they won't pay for with the other.

• Fire 1

Once again, I just don't understand how the Pac-12 were able to get such a huge TV contract from ESPN and Fox. Just doesn't make any sense at all. And what's scary is just how much the B1G and SEC are going to get in their next rounds of contract renewals. Our TV bills are skyrocketing and not going to get any lower with all these outrageous TV networks are dealing out for sports programming. Something needs to change. Sorry for the rant. :)

I am so done w/ Kansas. never have I been happier to rid myself of such sh!tty fans. There are a handful of knowledgeable (sane) KU fans, for every truckload of idiots. I could throw a beer bottle in any direction at Tanners (a bar) and plunk a fat a$$ KU alum wearing a stretched and stained blue sweatshirt, chowing on some wings talking about how great KU basketball is and how football isn't a sport. Acknowledge to any of them any sort of respect for their basketball team (which is pretty damn good), and rather than get a nice basketball discussion you get the constant ridicule of Nebraska hoops. Attempt to discuss football and they get that glassy look in their eyes and dive back into the wings. They are that fan in Wal-Mart, wearing head-to-toe blue/red sweatpants, while picking their a$$ with one hand and eating a slim jim they won't pay for with the other.

That's all well and good, but the Kansas basketball program draws viewers across the nation and puts butts in front of TVs, regardless if their fans shop at Wal-Mart or Saks Fifth Avenue and are derp-filled twits.

Remember what's driving expansion, though--it's TV, both on a national scale (see: Nebraska) and on a local market scale (see: Mizzery's getting a SEC invite).

Nebraska doesn't have **** for a local market, but our national presence is among the best of all college football teams, even better than independents like Notre Dame. Kansas is in the same boat (though they can lay claim to part of KC...but so can Nebraska, for that matter...), but instead of football, it's basketball.

Delaney has a hard-on for basketball, being a former player himself, and Kansas is one of the best programs in college basketball history. Adding Kansas would make the Big 10 *the* best basketball conference, bar none, and would make significant amounts of TV money for the Big 10 on their network, as well as help the Big 10 get an even larger TV contract--remember, current deals are up after 2014 for first-tier rights, and discussions are already underway.

But don't think I'm saying the Big 10 would expand to pick up Kansas--what I'm saying is that if Notre Dame, the school that the Big 10 (sans DoNU since we exposed them for what they are) still carries a torch for, comes in from the cold and joins the Big 10, they'll pick up Kansas to keep the conference at an even number and be done with it.

And frankly, imagine the headlines that would come about if Delaney could pull that off. It would certainly look a hell of a lot better than the Mizzery/AtM expansion of the SEC, and over time, pay out better too.

Did we just become best friends?? YEP!!

But don't think I'm saying the Big 10 would expand to pick up Kansas--what I'm saying is that if Notre Dame, the school that the Big 10 (sans DoNU since we exposed them for what they are) still carries a torch for, comes in from the cold and joins the Big 10, they'll pick up Kansas to keep the conference at an even number and be done with it.

And frankly, imagine the headlines that would come about if Delaney could pull that off. It would certainly look a hell of a lot better than the Mizzery/AtM expansion of the SEC, and over time, pay out better too.

I really don't see a better realistic scenario than adding ND & Kansas to the B10. Now that Missouri is gone, there are no other schools that makes sense geopgraphically that add value to the B10 besides ND and KU (for Bball). Nothing east (Rutgers - no thanks, Maryland - blah), South - (Ga Tech - not realistic) Midwest (ISU, KSU - yeah right).

I really don't see a better realistic scenario than adding ND & Kansas to the B10. Now that Missouri is gone, there are no other schools that makes sense geopgraphically that add value to the B10 besides ND and KU (for Bball). Nothing east (Rutgers - no thanks, Maryland - blah), South - (Ga Tech - not realistic) Midwest (ISU, KSU - yeah right).

I agree wholeheartedly. Those should be the schools we focus on.