Sipple: Amid fervent fan base, Pelini seeks even keel

I don't believe Bo will ever get Husker football to the point that we will finish a season ranked in the Top 5 let alone get to a BCS Championship game. A pattern has emerged through 4 years that I don't see changing with him.

How do you define "get Husker football?" What is there to "get" that he hasn't gotten yet?

Read the whole sentence. He didn't say "I don't believe Bo will ever get get Husker football." He said he doesn't think he will get it to the point of finishing in the top 5 or BCS. Disagree with his opinion or whether it's vital that Bo does get us to a championship game, but this wasn't a vague claim that Bo doesn't "get it".

My mistake. Semantics error.

In my opinion, he comes off like a petulant child with a "it's someone else's fault" (media, fans) attitude instead of looking in the mirror.

I don't believe Bo will ever get Husker football to the point that we will finish a season ranked in the Top 5 let alone get to a BCS Championship game. A pattern has emerged through 4 years that I don't see changing with him.

Edit - misunderstood you.

Agree, Enhance. I can see how some my take some of the things he says in a negatvie manner, but would also think if those same people would look at the whole instead of singular comments, those people would be able to understand the whole of the message.

Even if someone disagrees with the Pelini's tone, can one really argue with his responses? Are one of these "offended" people actually going to gripe that Bo is wrong, and that they do know more than Bo about his schemes and the general goings on within the program? I'd consider that thought process to be "nutty".

Exactly my point. Why got offended about something that's true?

Agree, Enhance. I can see how some my take some of the things he says in a negatvie manner, but would also think if those same people would look at the whole instead of singular comments, those people would be able to understand the whole of the message.

Even if someone disagrees with the Pelini's tone, can one really argue with his responses? Are one of these "offended" people actually going to gripe that Bo is wrong, and that they do know more than Bo about his schemes and the general goings on within the program? I'd consider that thought process to be "nutty".

Exactly my point. Why got offended about something that's true?

The people that get offended and complain that Bo is whining about the fans are mostly the same people that Bo is talking about.

• Fire 1
Let's say, just for kicks, Nebraska had beaten South Carolina in the Capital One Bowl.

Imagine the euphoria among Husker fans. Imagine the spike in expectations for the program. Top five, here we come!

Of course, Nebraska lost 30-13, and the shrill anti-Bo Pelini voices have had a heyday. They say his program is headed in the wrong direction. They see NU as a team that too often falls apart in games.

Welcome to college football, a land of wild mood swings.

"I tell our team, 'If you buy into that stuff, you run the risk of being the same way, of being too up-and-down, and you can't be that way,'" said Pelini, whose team begins spring practice Saturday. "It's about consistency."

He tries to drive home that notion. It's critical to do so.

"Especially here," said Pelini, noting that fans tend to fixate on a team's record (Nebraska was 9-4 overall, 5-3 in the Big Ten Conference last season). "Most everybody outside the program is not only results-driven, but they're so emotionally results-driven that you have to shield your team from that. That's a big challenge.

Continue Reading

I think Sipple has a complete misread on the majority of Husker fans. To say the fan base went all to hell because of the SC loss is not a representation of the majority. Nor to say we would have all been singing Kum Bay Ya due to a win would not have been accurate either. Euphoria? Top 5? I don't think so Sipple. Yes your going to have people that were overly excited about a win in the bowl. You'd have people who were pissed that we were even stuck playing SC instead of being in a BCS bowl. I think the majority of the fan base still has no clue what to think of this football team and it's coaching staff though. Talk about the model of inconsistency. If there is a team that has displayed the combination of more ups and downs in the season, and a coaching staff that has shuffled more....well I haven't heard of them. This team has had some of the highs of highs. Beating Michigan State. who would have though we would absolutely shut them down. Beating Ohio State in the greatest comeback in school history. Talk about a high. Then you have the flipside. Wisconsin embarrassing us in our welcome to the Big 10 ass kicking. Climbing our way back into the ring just to have Northwestern kick us square in the johnson. I don't even like talking about the Michigan game because we were exposed so badly I couldn't even watch. I gave up on that one. I've never given up on a game ever!

Most fans with any sense, and I believe the majority of fans have it, are smart enough to know not to get too high with this team or too low. You just never know what to expect. It's been that way for the last four years. I also hope people see this article and don't get too high or too low. Bo has said this same stuff ever since he got here. Expect a big improvement. Of course he's gonna say that. He sure as hell won't say expect the same or maybe even worse? Kind of a useless article really, but it shows me a bit of how out of touch Sipple is with the fan base. There's frustration and there is hope, but there is certainly no consistency in this team, this staff, or this fan base. A win over SC would have been great, we have a new DC, a inexperienced OC, a still very young HC, youth and inexperience all over this football team. If anyone is thinking " top 5 here we come".....well, I suggest you types slow down a bit.

• Fire 1

snapback.pngWAHusker, on 04 March 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I love how Bo thinks he is the only person to play football, the only person who has been in a competitive team sport. No one else understands the basics of football, but him. He thinks everyone is dumb and he is a genius, and is frustrated people can’t see it...... (Some people call that arrogance).

I think Bo is a decent coach, but I would love for him to just say "we are working on getting better", instead of making excuses like; the fans are too up and down, the media is picking on me, blah blah blah. If you spent half the time you do complaining about how your job is so hard here and how the media, fans, past players and some of the boosters "just don’t understand", and applied that to fixing some of your coaching issues.... we could win a few championships!

Lastly, to say his meltdowns doesnt impact the players and coaches around him.... thats delusional.

You read too much into words and put words in his mouth. I doubt he thinks only he knows how football works. And he has a point when he says that fans are too emotionally record driven. To think that fans, media, past players don't effect the program is delusional. The football team does not live in an impervious bubble.

Let's say, just for kicks, Nebraska had beaten South Carolina in the Capital One Bowl.

Imagine the euphoria among Husker fans. Imagine the spike in expectations for the program. Top five, here we come!

Of course, Nebraska lost 30-13, and the shrill anti-Bo Pelini voices have had a heyday. They say his program is headed in the wrong direction. They see NU as a team that too often falls apart in games.

Welcome to college football, a land of wild mood swings.

"I tell our team, 'If you buy into that stuff, you run the risk of being the same way, of being too up-and-down, and you can't be that way,'" said Pelini, whose team begins spring practice Saturday. "It's about consistency."

He tries to drive home that notion. It's critical to do so.

"Especially here," said Pelini, noting that fans tend to fixate on a team's record (Nebraska was 9-4 overall, 5-3 in the Big Ten Conference last season). "Most everybody outside the program is not only results-driven, but they're so emotionally results-driven that you have to shield your team from that. That's a big challenge.

Continue Reading

I think Sipple has a complete misread on the majority of Husker fans. To say the fan base went all to hell because of the SC loss is not a representation of the majority. Nor to say we would have all been singing Kum Bay Ya due to a win would not have been accurate either. Euphoria? Top 5? I don't think so Sipple. Yes your going to have people that were overly excited about a win in the bowl. You'd have people who were pissed that we were even stuck playing SC instead of being in a BCS bowl. I think the majority of the fan base still has no clue what to think of this football team and it's coaching staff though. Talk about the model of inconsistency. If there is a team that has displayed the combination of more ups and downs in the season, and a coaching staff that has shuffled more....well I haven't heard of them. This team has had some of the highs of highs. Beating Michigan State. who would have though we would absolutely shut them down. Beating Ohio State in the greatest comeback in school history. Talk about a high. Then you have the flipside. Wisconsin embarrassing us in our welcome to the Big 10 ass kicking. Climbing our way back into the ring just to have Northwestern kick us square in the johnson. I don't even like talking about the Michigan game because we were exposed so badly I couldn't even watch. I gave up on that one. I've never given up on a game ever!

Most fans with any sense, and I believe the majority of fans have it, are smart enough to know not to get too high with this team or too low. You just never know what to expect. It's been that way for the last four years. I also hope people see this article and don't get too high or too low. Bo has said this same stuff ever since he got here. Expect a big improvement. Of course he's gonna say that. He sure as hell won't say expect the same or maybe even worse? Kind of a useless article really, but it shows me a bit of how out of touch Sipple is with the fan base. There's frustration and there is hope, but there is certainly no consistency in this team, this staff, or this fan base. A win over SC would have been great, we have a new DC, a inexperienced OC, a still very young HC, youth and inexperience all over this football team. If anyone is thinking " top 5 here we come".....well, I suggest you types slow down a bit.

Tennessee and Rutgers (as far as the coaching staff is concerned) say "hi". We haven't been the most consistent team in the nation as far as how we have gotten our wins. But we have been consistent as far as the amount of wins we have gotten in the past 4 years. There is a list somewhere on the Internet that details the only programs to have won at least 9 games over the past 4 years, of which Nebraska is one of them. We aren't consistent, no, we don't beat the teams we should beat every time. But name a program who has. This year you saw Oklahoma State lose against Iowa State, Boise State lose to TCU, Louisville beat West Virginia, Iowa beat Michigan, USC beat Oregon, NC State beat Clemson, SMU beat TCU, Ohio State beat Wisconsin, and Texas Tech beat Oklahoma.

OK, now it is the process which the players and fans need to focus on, of course according to Bo, most fans don't know diddley sh#t about football, so we don't know what we are watching.....but i would say most fans can very clearly see a lack of effort and poor mental attitudes on the field and sidelines.......there is no fire in the defense, no expectations for success, no drive for perfection......big jump? we'll see........

I know what I said is basically everything Pelini tried to convery to Sipple here. Like I said, I think Sipple is the one off base here with the way he portrays Husker fans. I think Bo is a bit off base with his judgment of Husker fans too. It just seems like the over the top fans get too much play in the media. I might be a bit over the top in some areas, but most people here are pretty fair in the way they approach things. I try to be. I think most people don't know what to expect anymore is my feeling. Every time this team takes the field, you can almost feel like we are one bad play or one major screw up from completely losing control. As much as Bo is trying to pass this "even keel" line off on people, he forgets who was sunshine pumper number 1. He was! He came to this program saying we settle for nothing less than championships. We don't believe in moral victories! Bo is learning the game, but he can't get mad when the fans expectations are high. Bo is the king of high expectations.

OK, now it is the process which the players and fans need to focus on, of course according to Bo, most fans don't know diddley sh#t about football, so we don't know what we are watching.....but i would say most fans can very clearly see a lack of effort and poor mental attitudes on the field and sidelines.......there is no fire in the defense, no expectations for success, no drive for perfection......big jump? we'll see........

Why are you putting words in his mouth? He didn't come out and say that fans do not know anything of football...and I didn't see poor mental attitudes on the field and the sidelines. I don't know how you can say their was no fire in the defense, no expectations for success, no drive for perfection. I don't know how you can possibly say that by just watching football games. You don't coach them, you don't see the players every day, you don't have even an eighth of the qualifications that Bo has, so how can you possibly make those statements?

Why are you putting words in his mouth? He didn't come out and say that fans do not know anything of football...and I didn't see poor mental attitudes on the field and the sidelines. I don't know how you can say their was no fire in the defense, no expectations for success, no drive for perfection. I don't know how you can possibly say that by just watching football games. You don't coach them, you don't see the players every day, you don't have even an eighth of the qualifications that Bo has, so how can you possibly make those statements?

Easy, he hates Bo.

Easy, he hates Bo.

i guess you were asleep this past season, when even some of the players admited they quit.......they packed it in.........go back and read the article, you couldn't possibly have missed his (Bo's) comment about how fans don't get what he is doing here......wow, it is all in print, his comments and some of the players comments from last season.........how can you deny that, assuming you can read?.......

i guess you were asleep this past season, when even some of the players admited they quit.......they packed it in.........go back and read the article, you couldn't possibly have missed his (Bo's) comment about how fans don't get what he is doing here......wow, it is all in print, his comments and some of the players comments from last season.........how can you deny that, assuming you can read?.......

Some of the players I talked to said that their mental focus wasn't good at times, so you'll get no disagreement from me there.

That said, I think it's extremely easy for fans to sit back and say the 'focus wasn't there' or 'players just quit'. Nobody wants to lose. I still 100% support Pelini's comments in this article and have no problem with them.

Most of our fans fans don't know what they're talking about - he does. He knows more about football than most people who watch him coach. This doesn't mean we can't be critical, but it certainly means we shouldn't criticize him for voicing his opinion, which I believe is true.

"The average fan doesn't even get what I am talking about"...........pretty much Bo's own words, look it up. I think most fans do understand there is a process to execution and coaching/playing the game, the problem is when it doesn't work, we don't understand it.........no, i think many do understand it, the pure lack of discipline and playing without the constant mental errors is one area where the coaching has not addressed that issue......that's just one example. guys not knowing how to adjust to a different offensive set, freaking out before the play is even run, obviously not knowing their assignments or what defense they are running..how many times did we see the defensive LB looking to the sidelines for the defensive read, just moments before the ball was snapped?......there are a lot of basics that need to be addressed, fundamentals that look like they were not even covered last season.....making this defense fundamentally better will be a project......that's just a fact, there is no magic wand.