Sipple: Amid fervent fan base, Pelini seeks even keel

I like how Sipple talks about winning @ SC and the fan's elation translating into some proclamation that we're a BCS contender...because I remember a win like that not long ago that caused Bo to have the exact same reaction (Arizona - "we're back"). Pffff....been all downhill since that Arizona game.

The fans go as Bo goes. Even more so, the team goes as Bo goes. What he doesn't realize is that he has far more control over the fans' ups/downs than he realizes. He just doesn't have a clue how to utilize it to his advantage yet. Most of the biggest fan meltdowns have followed his on-field meltdowns. He's a roller coaster of emotion and the media/fans feed off that.

Bo does not control the fans' emotions. As I pointed out just above, this kind of roller-coaster reaction predates Bo by 40 years. The one constant throughout the last half-century of Husker success has been the fans. Blaming fan meltdowns on Bo ignores the Callahan era nearly in its entirety, the Solich era, the Osborne era (especially his seven-game bowl losing streak), the National Championship loss in 1983, the catch-that-wasn't-a-catch against PSU in 1982, and the first few years of Osborne's tenure.

Ugh, all downhill since the win at Arizona.....REALLY?

19-8 is all downhill apparently. Oh wait if i twist the facts in a way to make Bo look bad hes 2-3 in his last five games, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

That Arizona game was one of the most dominating wins I've witnessed from the Huskers in over a decade. We've flashed little pieces of that (michigan st.) since...but nothing quite like that. So yeah, it's been downhill since then.

19-8 really doesn't sound that great either...does it to you?

The Arizona win should be better explained by the ensuing Washington loss. Neither Arizona in 2009 nor Nebraska in 2010 wanted to be in that game, and it showed. Using a completely meaningless bowl game as some kind of benchmark is pointless.

Everyone defines "being fair" differently. I suppose each person feels that they are fair toward the team. To me, being fair means a pretty even balance of support to go along with justified criticism. There are a number of people who post here regularly who seem to forget to post in support of this team, and spend pretty much all of their time griping. Not what I consider "fair."

Excellent post, knapp. Upon reflection, I have to admit I fail in this regard too often.

19-8 is all downhill apparently. Oh wait if i twist the facts in a way to make Bo look bad hes 2-3 in his last five games, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

That Arizona game was one of the most dominating wins I've witnessed from the Huskers in over a decade. We've flashed little pieces of that (michigan st.) since...but nothing quite like that. So yeah, it's been downhill since then.

The Arizona win should be better explained by the ensuing Washington loss. Neither Arizona in 2009 nor Nebraska in 2010 wanted to be in that game, and it showed. Using a completely meaningless bowl game as some kind of benchmark is pointless.

wasn't meaningless to Bo - in fact it had so much meaning he used it to declare we were "back".

wasn't meaningless to Bo - in fact it had so much meaning he used it to declare we were "back".

Somehow I don't think Bo put all that much thought into that line in the euphoria immediately after the game.

Somehow I don't think Bo put all that much thought into that line in the euphoria immediately after the game.

Considering how many times he had to defend that statement, and the amount of times he was asked about it, I would have to agree. I get the impression he wishes he hadn't said it now, even though his intention has been made clear several times.

I like how Sipple talks about winning @ SC and the fan's elation translating into some proclamation that we're a BCS contender...because I remember a win like that not long ago that caused Bo to have the exact same reaction (Arizona - "we're back"). Pffff....been all downhill since that Arizona game.

The fans go as Bo goes. Even more so, the team goes as Bo goes. What he doesn't realize is that he has far more control over the fans' ups/downs than he realizes. He just doesn't have a clue how to utilize it to his advantage yet. Most of the biggest fan meltdowns have followed his on-field meltdowns. He's a roller coaster of emotion and the media/fans feed off that.

Bo does not control the fans' emotions. As I pointed out just above, this kind of roller-coaster reaction predates Bo by 40 years. The one constant throughout the last half-century of Husker success has been the fans. Blaming fan meltdowns on Bo ignores the Callahan era nearly in its entirety, the Solich era, the Osborne era (especially his seven-game bowl losing streak), the National Championship loss in 1983, the catch-that-wasn't-a-catch against PSU in 1982, and the first few years of Osborne's tenure.

Bo doesn't control the fans emotions, but let's not pretend Bo hasn't helped fuel some of the expectations that helped bring out some of those emotions. The Bo Pelini that walked in the door here did not believe in "moral victories". That Bo said there was no success unless we won championships. That Bo no longer exists in my opinion. He has grown and learned quite a bit since he's been here. He may never be able to temper those expectations though. You can't be as successful as Nebraska has been in the last 30 years, and not have those expectations. If you look around the state though, I think people have learned a lot from the failures of the last 10 years. Nothing we accomplished came easy.

Bo doesn't control the fans emotions, but let's not pretend Bo hasn't helped fuel some of the expectations that helped bring out some of those emotions. The Bo Pelini that walked in the door here did not believe in "moral victories". That Bo said there was no success unless we won championships. That Bo no longer exists in my opinion. He has grown and learned quite a bit since he's been here. He may never be able to temper those expectations though. You can't be as successful as Nebraska has been in the last 30 years, and not have those expectations. If you look around the state though, I think people have learned a lot from the failures of the last 10 years. Nothing we accomplished came easy.

If Bo leaves tomorrow those same emotions are going to be here, both tomorrow and ten years from now. Again, the reactions of this fan base predate Bo by four decades. Bo is not the catalyst of the fans freaking out any more than Taylor Martinez is the first quarterback running the Option at Nebraska. Bo is no more to blame for fan expectations than the fans are to blame for a fumble. One has nothing to do with the other. The fans are going to be putting these expectations on the team, regardless of what the coach (Bo or John Smith or Bob Jones or whomever) says.

No it doesnt sound good to me, but its not that bad at the same time. I wouldnt say its been all downhill, you would have to atleast have a losing record for me to say its been downhill at all. I would say its been all downhill for the basketball team this year thou.

snapback.pngWAHusker, on 04 March 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I love how Bo thinks he is the only person to play football, the only person who has been in a competitive team sport. No one else understands the basics of football, but him. He thinks everyone is dumb and he is a genius, and is frustrated people can’t see it...... (Some people call that arrogance).

I think Bo is a decent coach, but I would love for him to just say "we are working on getting better", instead of making excuses like; the fans are too up and down, the media is picking on me, blah blah blah. If you spent half the time you do complaining about how your job is so hard here and how the media, fans, past players and some of the boosters "just don’t understand", and applied that to fixing some of your coaching issues.... we could win a few championships!

Lastly, to say his meltdowns doesnt impact the players and coaches around him.... thats delusional.

You read too much into words and put words in his mouth. I doubt he thinks only he knows how football works. And he has a point when he says that fans are too emotionally record driven. To think that fans, media, past players don't effect the program is delusional. The football team does not live in an impervious bubble.

this isnt the first time Bo has said the fans, past players and media "dont understand". No one is saying they are smarter than Bo (and people talk about putting words into peoples mouths....) - not directed at you, Bye Bye

But past players, players for other college teams and some coaches on here, do understand the basics. They understand what teams are about. They understand the phychological side of the athletes. Nowhere did he talk about scheme in this article, nowhere.

and for those that say its confidence.... sorry but a confident person doesnt follow up a statement like that, with excuses as to why his job is harder or more "under a microscope" than any other elite team. OSU, Texas, FLorida, USC, Michigan (i can go on for a while) all ahve the same pressure and same microscope as Bo has. A confident person says what they can do, and then go out and do it.....

As for fans... again every other major D1 school seems to deal witht eh emotional fans. Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, PSU, etc. all have the same type of fans we do here. All those colleges are in a state or town that live and breath football, much like people in Omaha/Lincoln. But, I cant recall any other coach saying this. Why does Bo have to (this isnt the first time, either)?

I am not a Bo hater, I dont want him fired. I like Bo, just wish he would grow up a little faster. I wish he wasnt so hard headed, wish had some more humility and some grace with the media, fans and boosters. I think in time he will get there, again just wish it was sooner than later.

seems like many here agree, Bo may be spending valuable time worrying about things directly beyond his control......i think he is so locked into his scheme, he is determined to run it regardless of player skill level.........square hole, round peg, i would like to see him flex a little and morph his scheme to fit his players....it's done on offense all the time........i think Bo may be missing the boat here.

seems like many here agree, Bo may be spending valuable time worrying about things directly beyond his control......i think he is so locked into his scheme, he is determined to run it regardless of player skill level.........square hole, round peg, i would like to see him flex a little and morph his scheme to fit his players....it's done on offense all the time........i think Bo may be missing the boat here.

Bo has modified his scheme many times. It seems like you're so locked in to taking shots at Bo whenever you can that you don't stop and think about what you're saying. Bo changed his scheme several times last year, from game to game and from half to half in some cases.

• Fire 2

Specifically, what are you referring to? It's easy to say we're coaching guys into a system that doesn't work, but what do you find our current players lack that makes the scheme unsuccessful?

I see people say this all the time, but rarely why they think it.

If Bo leaves tomorrow those same emotions are going to be here, both tomorrow and ten years from now. Again, the reactions of this fan base predate Bo by four decades. Bo is not the catalyst of the fans freaking out any more than Taylor Martinez is the first quarterback running the Option at Nebraska. Bo is no more to blame for fan expectations than the fans are to blame for a fumble. One has nothing to do with the other. The fans are going to be putting these expectations on the team, regardless of what the coach (Bo or John Smith or Bob Jones or whomever) says.

Oh okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Specifically, what are you referring to? It's easy to say we're coaching guys into a system that doesn't work, but what do you find our current players lack that makes the scheme unsuccessful?

I see people say this all the time, but rarely why they think it.

it would seem pretty simple........read the posts, the guys are not athletic enough but understand the scheme........the guys are athletic, but don't understand the scheme......so who the hell do you play? or do you adjust the scheme so your most athletic guys can understand and execute the scheme......