Michigan football players violated NCAA rules...?

Foppa

This is such a stupid rule. I could see how booster contact would be permitted, but at the point that the kid decided to become a Wolverine, he became the guys' teammate. NCAA rules are so ridiculous it's not even funny...

So much for freedom of speech...

Not true. There is nothing signed, there is nothing forcing McCray to go to Michigan. He easily can back out of the commitment. He is not a teammate of these guys until he signs. Once he signs, they can talk all they want, but not until then.

Not quite sure how you can question "freedom of speech" in this...

This is such a stupid rule. I could see how booster contact would be permitted, but at the point that the kid decided to become a Wolverine, he became the guys' teammate. NCAA rules are so ridiculous it's not even funny...

Not true. There is nothing signed, there is nothing forcing McCray to go to Michigan. He easily can back out of the commitment. He is not a teammate of these guys until he signs. Once he signs, they can talk all they want, but not until then.

Because if all they said was congratulations. A verbal commitment is still something of a commitment. It's the handshake before the contract.

Because if all they said was congratulations. A verbal commitment is still something of a commitment. It's the handshake before the contract.

Well then I guess the fact the no one's ever backed out of a verbal committment and that they are totally sacred totally backs up your point.

Well then I guess the fact the no one's ever backed out of a verbal committment and that they are totally sacred totally backs up your point.

That's not the point. It's a ridiculous rule. Basically the NCAA tries to put restrictions on who can talk to who. I understand it from a coaching perspective just to make recruiting more fair, but these are 18-22 year old guys on a football team who may want to talk to a high school football player. I don't see how you can restrict something like that.

Still a stupid rule.

it is a rule because it is the same thing as adding an extra recruiter and thus providing an unfair advantage in recruiting whether the player is committed or not.

and freedom of speech is one of the most overly used and unwisely used excuses in this country, it has nothing at all to do with this rule.

Wow. Try re-reading what I wrote a little more slowly, then get back to us.

Wow. Try re-reading what I wrote a little more slowly, then get back to us.

What he said seemed to cover my sentiment on your reply... Maybe you want to explain better? It seems you are saying that his verbal is good enough to allow contact. I can think of many kids that have backed out of their verbals, just like you can.

What he said seemed to cover my sentiment on your reply... Maybe you want to explain better? It seems you are saying that his verbal is good enough to allow contact. I can think of many kids that have backed out of their verbals, just like you can.

Yes. but it's players saying congratulations. It's not them divulging all the secret plans to Michigan football. It's the first step towards becoming a Wolverine. Notice I said It's the Handshake (verbal commitment) before the contract (LOI) People renege on handshakes too. But usually the handshake leads to the contract signing.