Full back article

FB is pretty much a dead psoition, i remember Tom Rathman, what a stud......other than throwing a few blocks, there isn't much going on there aymore.

which is why i'd like to see that 225lb LB take on a fullback 20 times a game....it's something he's not used to, and by the mid-point of the 3rd quarter he'd be a little slower to fill that hole than he was before he got popped a few times earlier in the game.

(of course that assumes Barney can coach a line to make a hole in the first place)

FB is pretty much a dead psoition, i remember Tom Rathman, what a stud......other than throwing a few blocks, there isn't much going on there aymore.

which is why i'd like to see that 225lb LB take on a fullback 20 times a game....it's something he's not used to, and by the mid-point of the 3rd quarter he'd be a little slower to fill that hole than he was before he got popped a few times earlier in the game.

(of course that assumes Barney can coach a line to make a hole in the first place)

Nebraska finished 15th nationally in rushing offense in 2011 and was 9th in 2010 so you are "correct" when you doubt that a Barney coached OL can open any holes.

:dunno

Nebraska finished 15th nationally in rushing offense in 2011 and was 9th in 2010 so you are "correct" when you doubt that a Barney coached OL can open any holes.

so you feel Barney is a good OL coach?

Good enough to deserve to be able to stick around.

Good enough to deserve to be able to stick around.

So was Doc Sadler for 6 years.

Yes I do. Nebraska has one of the top rushing attacks in the nation and they are very good at pass blocking and the statistics bear this out. Even going beyond stats, the importance of being in the same offensive philosophy can not be understated. As Beck and Cotton continue to work together and consistenly recruit the kind of athletes who can thrive in the offense they want to run it'll only get better from here. In my opinion Bo's biggest mistake was listening to Tom Osborne who recommended retaining Shawn Watson. Bo should have said thanks for the suggestion but I'm going to hire my guys to run the type of offense I want from the start. Which was what Florida ran under Urban Meyer-only better.

Yes I do. Nebraska has one of the top rushing attacks in the nation and they are very good at pass blocking and the statistics bear this out. Even going beyond stats, the importance of being in the same offensive philosophy can not be understated. As Beck and Cotton continue to work together and consistenly recruit the kind of athletes who can thrive in the offense they want to run it'll only get better from here. In my opinion Bo's biggest mistake was listening to Tom Osborne who recommended retaining Shawn Watson. Bo should have said thanks for the suggestion but I'm going to hire my guys to run the type of offense I want from the start. Which was what Florida ran under Urban Meyer-only better.

:xcuse

Very, very well said. Also agree Bo make a small mistake on going with TO's "suggestion" to keep Callawatts. But that's water under the bridge and now going forward with the same offensive philosophy is indeed a huge asset. Having lots of young road-graders coming around helps a lot too.

The question I keep asking but never gets answered is.....

If Barney is so horrible and Garrison/Stai so great, then why did our rushing YPG "and" YPC plummet this year?

I certainly agree that this year will be a unique year in that it will be a continuation of the same philosophy. You're assuming everything is going to get better, and the offensive line is going to become competent though - which remains to be seen. I'm hopeful, but not going to proclaim Cotton as some kind of quality coach until I see it. I haven't in the last 4 years. We may be ranked highly in rushing - but that's because we pass the ball 20 times a game and run 68% of the time. We damn well better be in the top 15.

And you mention Cotton's recruiting? What has he done in that department in 4 years? Essentially 2 guys...Klatchko/Thurston. Maybe partial credit for Moudy? He recruited his 3 sons, which doesn't take a lot of work. He's signed up 5-6 Nebraska kids, which is pretty much just making and offer and standing in front of the fax machine. He offered a couple of legacies - which like offering a Nebraska kid is almost a slam dunk. When you sum up Cotton's impact on our recruiting - it ends up equaling one of our worst recruiters.

I certainly agree that this year will be a unique year in that it will be a continuation of the same philosophy. You're assuming everything is going to get better, and the offensive line is going to become competent though - which remains to be seen. I'm hopeful, but not going to proclaim Cotton as some kind of quality coach until I see it. I haven't in the last 4 years. We may be ranked highly in rushing - but that's because we pass the ball 20 times a game and run 68% of the time. We damn well better be in the top 15.

And you mention Cotton's recruiting? What has he done in that department in 4 years? Essentially 2 guys...Klatchko/Thurston. Maybe partial credit for Moudy? He recruited his 3 sons, which doesn't take a lot of work. He's signed up 5-6 Nebraska kids, which is pretty much just making and offer and standing in front of the fax machine. He offered a couple of legacies - which like offering a Nebraska kid is almost a slam dunk. When you sum up Cotton's impact on our recruiting - it ends up equaling one of our worst recruiters.

I'm not going to talk about Cotton's recruiting, pro or con, because as to which coaches are recruiting who I honestly don't follow it that closely. And why not assume things will get better? What's the alternative, being needlessly pessemistic and assuming things will just get worse? If that's the way you want to live fine but that doesn't mean I or anyone else needs to join you in your self-imposed doom and gloom. I'm confused by your post here. You claim to not see Barney as competent or a quality coach while simultaneously ignoring our success rushing the ball and solid pass protection. Nebraska was 47th in sacks allowed. Not exceptional to be sure but schools like Wisconsin, West Virginia, UCLA, California, Texas, Georgia, Clemson, South Carolina, Auburn, et al all allowed more sacks than Nebraska. It should also be noted that all those schools have "out-recruited" the Huskers according to practically every recruiting service. It seems to me that you just want to hate on and criticize Barney for no real reason. I get the feeling that Nebraska could in a season rush for 3,000+ yards with a 10+ yard per carry average, pass for 3,000+ yards and only allow one sack and you'd still criticize Barney as a bad coach. The evidence you would cite would be that one sack allowed. I used hyperbole just now sure. But it doesn't change the fact that you will probably never see evidence that Cotton is a good coach because you simply do not want to see it.

If Barney is so horrible and Garrison/Stai so great, then why did our rushing YPG "and" YPC plummet this year?

That's because anything positive that happens with the OL is attributed to Garrison and Stai and whatever mistakes or bad things happen are Barney's fault.

:dumdum

Nailed it.