Pederson...How does this Title make you feel?

KU breaks 36-year hex, routs NU

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - Mark Simmons caught two touchdown passes, Jon Cornish broke a 72-yard touchdown run and Kansas broke a 36-game losing streak against Nebraska with a 40-15 victory Saturday that brought thousands of fans pouring onto the field.

The Jayhawks (5-4 overall, 2-4 in the Big 12 Conference) scored in six different ways while cleansing themselves of the second-longest streak in college football in front of a Memorial Stadium record crowd of 51,750.

Only Notre Dame's 41-yard streak over Navy had kept this lopsided series from setting an NCAA record.

But that had been no consolation to Jayhawk fans who had watched every year since 1969 while their neighbors to the North soared up and down the field against them, winning mostly with blowouts, but always winning.

Cornhusker routs had included 54-0 in both 1979 and '80 and 70-0 in 1986. From 1971-74, Nebraska outscored the helpless Jayhawks by a collective score of 177-9.

Nebraska (5-4, 2-4) got a turnover on the Kansas 16 and scored on Cory Ross' 1-yard touchdown run to close the margin to 17-15 midway through the third period.

Then two plays later, Kansas struck back with Cornish taking a delayed handoff and speeding 72 yards up the middle, giving the Jayhawks a 24-15 lead over a team they hadn't beaten since Lyndon Johnson was president.

A few minutes later, after Kyle Tucker's punt put the Huskers on their own 5, Eric Butler sacked Zac Taylor in the end zone and Kansas led 26-15.

Then, salting away one of the most memorable victories in school history, Jason Swanson hit Simmons with a 12-yard TD pass for a 33-15 lead that prompted many of the 10,000 or so red-clad Nebraska fans to begin quietly filing out. One more link to their glory days under Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne had been severed in the second year under coach Bill Callahan.

Kevin Kane, one of nine seniors on a defense that came in ranked No. 10 nationally, intercepted Taylor's pass and returned it 40 yards, getting a key block from Brandon Perkins for the final TD.

Jason Swanson also hit Simmons with a 40-yard touchdown pass on Kansas' first possession. The Jayhawks also scored on Darren Rus' 20-yard return of a blocked punt and Scott Webb's 21-yard field goal, and a 2-point safety.

Clark Green had 100 yards rushing and Cornish had 101 while Simmons caught six passes for 100 yards - the first time in 25 years Kansas had two 100-yard rushers and a 100-yard receiver in a game.

The Huskers had only 32 yards of total offense until Taylor engineered a six-play, 64-yard drive in the final minutes to make it 17-9. Three passes and a 5-yard penalty against Kansas brought Nebraska to the 30, then Terrence Nunn got wide open on the left side and hauled in Taylor's 30-yard TD pass with 1:47 to go.

Eight different presidents had occupied the Oval Office since Kansas' 23-13 victory over the Huskers in 1968.

Six different Kansas coaches - Don Fambrough, Bud Moore, Fambrough again, Mike Gottfried, Bob Valesente, Glen Mason, Terry Allen - had come and gone with nothing but goose eggs to show for their series against the mighty Huskers.

Current coach Mark Mangino had been 0-3 against them and come close to breaking the spell last season before finally succumbing 14-8 to the first Nebraska team that failed to go to a bowl game since 1968.

After Nebraska tackled Swanson in the end zone for a 2-point safety, Tim Allen came blowing up the middle to block Sam Koch's punt. The ball took one bounce - into Rus' arms - and the senior linebacker romped 20 yards into the end zone for a 14-2 lead.

Koch's perfectly executed 35-yard punt pinned the Jayhawks on their own 3-yard line after Kansas' first TD and Corey McKeon tackled Swanson in the end zone for a safety.

Scott Webb made it 17-2 with a 21-yard field goal.

From: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2059480

lack of intensity my ass........piss poor coaching and play calling.....

hunter

Hunter that is the dumbest post ever. So what do you want him to call everyone was wanting him to run more he did didn't work pass more still didn't work. Maybe if actually watched the game without issues toward the coaches you would see that our oline is getting handled, hard to get plays going when the def is in your backfield all day!

hunter

Hunter that is the dumbest post ever. So what do you want him to call everyone was wanting him to run more he did didn't work pass more still didn't work. Maybe if actually watched the game without issues toward the coaches you would see that our oline is getting handled, hard to get plays going when the def is in your backfield all day!

will wise guy, when you are not having any success, why call the same plays?

hunter

To me, the problems have been with blocking. OLine, TE's WR's, RB's etc. I don't care what you call, the play has to be blocked at least 80-85% for the play to go anywhere. Run or pass.

hunter

To me, the problems have been with blocking. OLine, TE's WR's, RB's etc. I don't care what you call, the play has to be blocked at least 80-85% for the play to go anywhere. Run or pass.

Right on BRO! GBR

hunter

Right on the money. Our oline is either blowing assignments or jumping offsides(MURTHA). The thing that is the most upsetting to me is the terrible job of tackling on the other side.

When you play defense , you have to go out with a search and destroy attitude. The defense seemed to have that mentality early. But as of late the look FLAT.

hunter

Hunter thank you again for another insightful post. What do you want him to call slants he does that screens yep tries those to Deep routes does those Out yep calls those, Hell please enlighten us what he should call I guess he is purposefully trying to lose the game. lol GBR

Its hard to get intense, when your coach cant teach or motivate :wacko:

Do you believe that a coach should have to motivate players?? The players know what its all about, don't they? They know that any Big 12 win is a big win and Mangino telling his fans not to tear down the goal posts after they beat Nebraska should have been enough motivation for any NU player. The captains, Ross and Bullocks are seniors and they should be the one's that motivate the other players. Coaches shouldn't have to motivate players.