Sporting News: Bo Pelini, Huskers confident 2012 can be their year

Nexus

I have been one with the rose colored glasses each of Bo's offseasons, but I'll agree with a couple other posters that this spring feels different. Maybe it's Bo being more open and honest with the media or maybe it's the whole accountability theme. I'm not real crazy about players like Martinez yelling from the mountaintop, "National Championship; National Championship," but at the same time I do appreciate the confidence. Double edge sword I fear with those expectations... When we are down will we collapse again with those high expectations? I hope not... Accountability wouldn't allow it, or would it? It seems as though the team is more of just that, a team. I think the coming season looks promising and I'm drinking the koolaid, but maybe for a CCG appearance with a possible Rose Bowl appearance rather than "National Championship; National Championship!"

I like what I'm hearing but I want to actually see it on the field. About that bowl game against South Carolina, Nebraska had a 13-9 lead, lost two turnovers both of which more than likely would have been touchdowns and they missed a FG. They put those points up on the board and they go into halftime with a 21 point lead. Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. And the Northwestern game, yeah Bo that what happens when your team doesn't take an opponent seriously. There's usually one or two teams every season where it is blatantly obvious that the Huskers didn't really prepare for. I think you're a great coach Bo and as far as I'm concerned the seat you're on isn't even warm let alone hot. But you, and your team, really do need to take that next step. A national championship would be outstanding but let's focus on winning the division first, then the Big 10 title and if the BCS title game is there at the end fine. But take care of business each and every week.

+1

I'm starting to get sick of this. Taylor has proven to be a gum flapper and it doesn't translate on the field. Don't you think talking like this to the media is a characteristic of a young team? I do. My theory is that huge heads like this and feeling sorry for yourself when you get down a few scores in Wisconsin go hand in hand. getting on guys behind closed doors (or in a game for that matter) for high expectations is one thing... Shouting national championship from the highest mountain is another.

It doesn't help that I feel like I'm in the twilight zone this season... All signs point to this season being Bo's worst in my eyes (im not mad about it, ive accepted it at this point, just how it works out)... and it just so happens to be the year everyone is drunk on kool aid. I just don't see it. And I'm "Mr. Bold prediction" when it comes to Husker seasons.

All signs point to disaster?

Wow.... :cry

I remember Carl saying last year that the defense was so far ahead of any other defense he has had. Remember him saying that they were beyond the basics and working alot on different packages...and we all know how that turned out. Interesting to me that they are going back to the basics now that Bo seems back to being more involved with the defense.

Makes me think Bo was focusing all his attention on helping the offense last year and he let Carl coach the D. The defense struggled and Bo spent the season trying to get the defense to catch up, new opponents every week certainly made it harder. This year Bo seems to be very involved with the defense and they are back to working on the basic fundamentals of his defense. Last year all of Bos quotes were on the offense and Carls were on the defense. This year most all of Bos quotes are on the D the others are on Taylor. Expect a huge jump on defense. I have a feeling Bo is dead set on going back to his D. IMO we saw it for most the game against SC. Sure we had no DLine push, but the QB had no where to throw the ball. The secondary was locked down and we held him in check on scrambles. Our defense will be great this year, and offense will be improved. Imagine the first half minus the the hailmarry of the SC game. Moving the ball at will.....with our 09 10' defense. We COULD be scary if everything comes together at once, and it could very well happen this year. An offense to go with a defense coached exclusivly by Mr Bo Pelini.

I'm starting to get sick of this. Taylor has proven to be a gum flapper and it doesn't translate on the field. Don't you think talking like this to the media is a characteristic of a young team? I do. My theory is that huge heads like this and feeling sorry for yourself when you get down a few scores in Wisconsin go hand in hand. getting on guys behind closed doors (or in a game for that matter) for high expectations is one thing... Shouting national championship from the highest mountain is another.

It doesn't help that I feel like I'm in the twilight zone this season... All signs point to this season being Bo's worst in my eyes (im not mad about it, ive accepted it at this point, just how it works out)... and it just so happens to be the year everyone is drunk on kool aid. I just don't see it. And I'm "Mr. Bold prediction" when it comes to Husker seasons.

I didn't say disaster. I said Bo's worst season.

I didn't say disaster. I said Bo's worst season.

Well, 8 or less wins would certainly be disaster for HuskerNation. Look at general attitude for the current 9 wins. 6, 7 or 8.....oh boy.

I think we all forget how young this team was 2 years ago and how little depth there was at every position. Lets also remember how many systems and OC's they have had. Last year was the learning curve. Most of us knew that the defense was going to struggle, they were put toghther to stop the spread not a power game. They didn't attack, they waited for the play to come to them and as for Taylor's comment about the NC game, all I read was..."blah, blah, blah, we are going to shock the world". JP had no business being a D-line coach and coach K will fix that. As far as personel on the feild, these guys are really good, and have a year under their belts in a new conference. I don't buy the sky is falling statement from "Mr. Bold Prediction" but anything can happen. If the lines (both sides) can play like Nebraska lines should play, we should be fine.

Talk about raining on a parade. My goodness.

I think we all forget how young this team was 2 years ago and how little depth there was at every position. Lets also remember how many systems and OC's they have had. Last year was the learning curve. Most of us knew that the defense was going to struggle, they were put toghther to stop the spread not a power game. They didn't attack, they waited for the play to come to them and as for Taylor's comment about the NC game, all I read was..."blah, blah, blah, we are going to shock the world". JP had no business being a D-line coach and coach K will fix that. As far as personel on the feild, these guys are really good, and have a year under their belts in a new conference. I don't buy the sky is falling statement from "Mr. Bold Prediction" but anything can happen. If the lines (both sides) can play like Nebraska lines should play, we should be fine.

This has been my argument all along through the postseason discontent. I just couldnt fathom why everyone was so schocked we finished like we did. When the schedule for '11 came out everyone :ahhhhhhhh and 8 of 10 fans predicted/expected 3-4 losse, another one more, and the other less, but then everyone jumps on the SS Panic when we actually lose 4 games,

Yeah I think Bo is too prideful of his defense to let it suck two years in a row. I don't expect a '09 kind of season on that side of the ball, but despite losing Dennard and David, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a large improvement overall.

My biggest worry is still the offensive line. I thought they improved last year, but they still have to build from that and improve a lot more to come close to what the standard should be around here. Losing both tackles and the center doesn't give me a lot of confidence (although Moore might be a step up from either tackle we had starting last year).

I feel really good about the "skill" positions on offense, yes even Taylor Martinez. Taylor, Rex, Bell, Cotton, Reed, Abdullah, Green, Enunwa, Turner, ect, all a year older and a year wiser. I don't have many complaints at all there.

• Fire 1

Yeah I think Bo is too prideful of his defense to let it suck two years in a row. I don't expect a '09 kind of season on that side of the ball, but despite losing Dennard and David, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a large improvement overall.

My biggest worry is still the offensive line. I thought they improved last year, but they still have to build from that and improve a lot more to come close to what the standard should be around here. Losing both tackles and the center doesn't give me a lot of confidence (although Moore might be a step up from either tackle we had starting last year).

I feel really good about the "skill" positions on offense, yes even Taylor Martinez. Taylor, Rex, Bell, Cotton, Reed, Abdullah, Green, Enunwa, Turner, ect, all a year older and a year wiser. I don't have many complaints at all there.

+1, took the words right out of my mouth. I expect this years D to be similar to 2010's D. Experience in the defensive backfield, and the dline has got some veterans. The LB's still scare me a little, but if Zaire Anderson can come in August and make an impact then we should be in decent shape. I am glad to see Compton finally becoming a leader on the defense.

Edit: I think he edited his post because I seem to remember reading his initial post where he did say pointing to disaster. Could be mistaken though.

But clearly this is where Nebraska's season is headed, shall we jump into the life boats now before it's too late?

Reflection-Small.jpg

:tv

+1, took the words right out of my mouth. I expect this years D to be similar to 2010's D. Experience in the defensive backfield, and the dline has got some veterans. The LB's still scare me a little, but if Zaire Anderson can come in August and make an impact then we should be in decent shape. I am glad to see Compton finally becoming a leader on the defense.

Is Zaire here for spring ball? Haven't heard much about him. LB will indeed be a question mark. I feel good about Compton. There's no "replacing" a guy like David, but if we can get a couple guys to step up and just be solid players, we'll be okay there.

After watching about a half hour of film on Iowa's defensive line a couple weeks ago, I feel really, really good about Coach Kaz. Our defensive line could be very good this year, with the veterans we have. If they make a big jump, so will the rest of the defense.

Is Zaire here for spring ball? Haven't heard much about him. LB will indeed be a question mark. I feel good about Compton. There's no "replacing" a guy like David, but if we can get a couple guys to step up and just be solid players, we'll be okay there.

After watching about a half hour of film on Iowa's defensive line a couple weeks ago, I feel really, really good about Coach Kaz. Our defensive line could be very good this year, with the veterans we have. If they make a big jump, so will the rest of the defense.

Zaire will be here when the rest of the signees get here, hopefully he has the football smarts to pick up the defense in a short amount of time like Lavonte did.

This is kind of where I'm at as well. I really have no clue how to predict this next season though. I can't quantify how much impact playing in a new conference, against 12(ish) new teams had on the outcome last season, or the performance of the offense/defense. We very well might have had defense better than the 2010 version had we still been in the Big12. Who knows. If I put too much weight into last season - I see 8-4 going into the bowl as a real possibility. If I don't put as much stock in it, and assume we are going to have a major jump in our second year if for no other reason than we'll be better prepared going into games then I'm seeing 10-2 out there. I like the skill positions, I like the offense as a whole if they can come together as a team. Martinez in his 3rd year has to be effective, he's in his 3rd year. Rex is Rex, freshman we depended on last year are now into their second year. We had some guys last year we didn't hear from on defense, who I think will send a loud message this year. Martin, Cam, Stein, Stafford, Compton, Green. That's a pretty solid 6. We had 3 great players last year on defense...but I see us having 6-7 very good players going in this year. No one shines, but overall maybe a little more potential.