Sporting News: Bo Pelini, Huskers confident 2012 can be their year

Nexus

The way you know Spring is in the air is you open your local paper and find about ten pages of fluff. You never see so many people working so hard on keeping the sunshine pump flowing as you do this time of year. Everyone's buying in. We've found the magic again.

Next we get the Spring Game, where the prognosticators will find a future All American at every position based off a good play or two against a walkon defense.

Next we get the offseason where we find out how team led practices and 7 on 7 drills are looking sharper than ever. There's never been more unity in any organization in the history of the world than there is on this team at this moment. If only Jesus could have gotten his disciples more in step.

And when fall camp hits, look out--we're talking one salty football team. Swagger here, swagger there, swagger everywhere. Taylor's throwing mechanics will make Aaron Rodgers sit up and take note. The defense gets it, especially the true freshman linebackers who just learned how to tie their shoes. Surprising. Amazing. Wonderful!

Then the season hits, and the same defense that gave up 38 points to Washington, 48 to Wisconsin, 45 to Michigan, and 30 to South Carolina--that's three crushing losses for anyone who's counting--is going to somehow be better than it was last year with the same cast of characters, minus Crick, Denard, and David, its three best players, and first year defensive coordinator (who's only marginally less experienced than the offensive coordinator whose scheme was also ripped apart in three blowout losses).

But please, do continue. I love cotton candy.

this guy gets it.

tumblr_lwowlpAZjv1r8cwpko1_400.gif

How does he get it? Because he just happens to have the same point of view as you? So everyone else is wrong because they happen to think something different?

• Fire 2

I say 8 wins, no less. We may be able to pull together and do some special things, but i think the writing in the sand would suggest to not hold your breath. Taylor hasn't proven to me that he is capable of living up to his potential, way too inconsistent thus far. There are a lot of questions at linebacker. We will all see this year just how big of a deal it is losing Vonte. Anderson seems to be the quick fix, but there's not enough there to hang our hat on yet. Defensive line has me the most worried. I don't see the bodies there we need to compete at an elite level. The secondary was young, but that doesn't mean they graduate to being elite by default. Like I said, we may be able to rally together... but there is not enough there to expect anything substantial. just me.

Taylor Martinez was the least of our worries down the stretch a year ago. He threw what, 2 whole picks, the remainder of the year following the Wisconsin game. I just dont see why he is drawing so much negativity. We have more glaring issues than our quarterback play right now.

I agree, that's valid. He wasn't losing us games... But he also wasn't putting the team on his shoulders when games were on the line. That may not be entirely fair though given the amount of crucial drops by our receivers.

Also....last year's defense wasn't in the same universe as Frazier's or Frost's teams. Or Crouch's 99 blackshirts either. Or, to say the least, was the Oline. Or, as you say and I agree with, our wrs. Tmart is the least of our worries.

But I'm quite hopeful the Oline makes strides in talent and depth this year, our wrs surely will learn to catch the ball sooner or later and Bo knows defense.

I honestly think we're getting close.

^^ interesting

There is a variable in that equation though too.

Ndamukong Suh. We don't have any game changers like that on defense right now.

2010's defense was very solid as well w/o Suh, the secondary was incredible. 2011=2008. I think 2012 will = 2010 defensively (it takes Suh-like stardom to have a 2009, dont think this unit has that, as of right now anyway).

yeah but 2010's defense was a solid defense anyway. you still have guys like crick, prince, lavonte. we don't have guys like that now... as much as i wish we did. granted, i think there are a couple guys that are capable of filling into those high capacity roles in the secondary and at linebacker.

You've hit pretty much every point I was going to make in this thread. Only 13 posts, though. Keep em coming, Brose' Canseco. :wub:

I have a hard time believing that we are going to be better than last year. We have the potential to be on offense, but so much of our success/failure hinges upon the shoulders of Taylor Martinez's development. We have to improve in the passing game. Plain and simple. Our running game should be strong, but having a more balanced attack would do Rex Burkhead a huge favor.

Defensively, I'd love to say that we're going to be fine, but I'm extremely concerned. Vonte and Dennard were the heart and soul of a mediocre defense last year and I get the feeling that we are going to miss them tremendously. The thing that gives me the most hope for the 2012 defense is that Austin Cassidy will not be a part of it.

“Honestly, I don’t think the game should’ve been close,” Martinez said. “We should’ve blown them out.”

I'm not a huge fan of this statement. He can think it all he wants, but I'm not a fan of him saying this to the media.

The better team won that day. Better teams overcome adversity, overcome (or don't commit) several critical, drive stalling penalties.

Not the biggest fan either but I don't think there's much point to analyzing it. It isn't a really bad attitude to have, I guess. Us against the world is how this team tends to operate under Bo. Like Taylor saying he doesn't have anything to prove to anybody (same article). The motivation is ery internal, very focused. That can work or not work and I don't think there's a right answer as to whether or not this way of doing things is good or bad.

The one thing is Taylor should have said that SC is a very good team, but the Husker players still feel they should have gone out and dominated, and htat they could have done it. That's a solid attitude to have. Even when you are beat, just be angry that you didn't do hat you should've, rather than throwing up your hands and admitting defeat. Putting down the other team though, sounds weak. Said to the media, I agree that's a misstep.

Not the biggest fan either but I don't think there's much point to analyzing it. It isn't a really bad attitude to have, I guess. Us against the world is how this team tends to operate under Bo. Like Taylor saying he doesn't have anything to prove to anybody (same article). The motivation is ery internal, very focused. That can work or not work and I don't think there's a right answer as to whether or not this way of doing things is good or bad.

The one thing is Taylor should have said that SC is a very good team, but the Husker players still feel they should have gone out and dominated, and htat they could have done it. That's a solid attitude to have. Even when you are beat, just be angry that you didn't do hat you should've, rather than throwing up your hands and admitting defeat. Putting down the other team though, sounds weak. Said to the media, I agree that's a misstep.

Yeah, agree that's not a good thing to say. It is to think it! But he shouldn't say it. Not to the media anyways.....

Yeah, agree that's not a good thing to say. It is to think it! But he shouldn't say it. Not to the media anyways.....

So then he stays quiet, and everybody's "he doesnt talk to the media bleh bleh bleh" :ahhhhhhhh Now we're learning why he didnt talk much. Some folks here are unbeleivable

Our players and coaches should not be bursting with confidence. They have not earned the right to do so. What they should be "bursting with" is a burning desire to earn respect through hard play and effort --- and they should be burning with the desire to warrant the privilege of wearing a red N on their helmet --- an intense desire to approach the caliber of what has been historic Husker football.

This team and this coaching staff have done nothing to earn anyone's respect --- in the Big Ten or elsewhere... and they should shut up about the confidence thing... Talk is cheap. Instead they need to focus on effort and intensity and the drive to earn the respect that is befitting of NU football.

• Fire 1

“Honestly, I don’t think the game should’ve been close,” Martinez said. “We should’ve blown them out.”

I'm not a huge fan of this statement. He can think it all he wants, but I'm not a fan of him saying this to the media.

The better team won that day. Better teams overcome adversity, overcome (or don't commit) several critical, drive stalling penalties.

The better team doesn't always win. That's why they play the game.

How do we know he didn't say something like that? We have a one line quote in a fairly large article. I mean, the media would never cherry pick a quote for a story.... right?

How do we know he didn't say something like that? We have a one line quote in a fairly large article. I mean, the media would never cherry pick a quote for a story.... right?

lol!

Good point. The media "always" picks a potentially controversial comment and spins it for the biggest newsflash possible. It's one of the few things in this world one can rely on.

The way you know Spring is in the air is you open your local paper and find about ten pages of fluff. You never see so many people working so hard on keeping the sunshine pump flowing as you do this time of year. Everyone's buying in. We've found the magic again.

Next we get the Spring Game, where the prognosticators will find a future All American at every position based off a good play or two against a walkon defense.

Next we get the offseason where we find out how team led practices and 7 on 7 drills are looking sharper than ever. There's never been more unity in any organization in the history of the world than there is on this team at this moment. If only Jesus could have gotten his disciples more in step.

And when fall camp hits, look out--we're talking one salty football team. Swagger here, swagger there, swagger everywhere. Taylor's throwing mechanics will make Aaron Rodgers sit up and take note. The defense gets it, especially the true freshman linebackers who just learned how to tie their shoes. Surprising. Amazing. Wonderful!

Then the season hits, and the same defense that gave up 38 points to Washington, 48 to Wisconsin, 45 to Michigan, and 30 to South Carolina--that's three crushing losses for anyone who's counting--is going to somehow be better than it was last year with the same cast of characters, minus Crick, Denard, and David, its three best players, and first year defensive coordinator (who's only marginally less experienced than the offensive coordinator whose scheme was also ripped apart in three blowout losses).

this guy gets it.

tumblr_lwowlpAZjv1r8cwpko1_400.gif

How does he get it? Because he just happens to have the same point of view as you? So everyone else is wrong because they happen to think something different?

LOL so i'm not allowed to agree with someone's post?

plus, his logic is hard to argue with.

this guy gets it.

LOL so i'm not allowed to agree with someone's post?

plus, his logic is hard to argue with.

So we're not allowed to think you're completely wrong?

And his logic is based on a ton of variables, mostly, assuming that there is no improvement at all on the team, and it's going to be the same team, minus 3 guys. It completely ignores the fact that we were playing in an entirely new conference, changing the style of D we had played for 3 years, and dealing with a DC who was half assing his job (glad CP is gone).

Believe it or not, CFB is not played in a vacuum.

Any coach that doesn't tell fans "this is our year" needs to be fired.

Yup. I find it funny that people are lambasting the team for talking. When they don't talk, they get lambasted.

Newflash, even Saint Osborne's teams talked and boasted, and were cocky sons of bitches. Hell, the entire motto of the 94 team was "unfinished business."