Sporting News: Bo Pelini, Huskers confident 2012 can be their year

Nexus

Not the biggest fan either but I don't think there's much point to analyzing it. It isn't a really bad attitude to have, I guess. Us against the world is how this team tends to operate under Bo. Like Taylor saying he doesn't have anything to prove to anybody (same article). The motivation is ery internal, very focused. That can work or not work and I don't think there's a right answer as to whether or not this way of doing things is good or bad.

The one thing is Taylor should have said that SC is a very good team, but the Husker players still feel they should have gone out and dominated, and htat they could have done it. That's a solid attitude to have. Even when you are beat, just be angry that you didn't do hat you should've, rather than throwing up your hands and admitting defeat. Putting down the other team though, sounds weak. Said to the media, I agree that's a misstep.

How do we know he didn't say something like that? We have a one line quote in a fairly large article. I mean, the media would never cherry pick a quote for a story.... right?

Uh, we know he didn't say that because he put SC down, which is the opposite of giving them credit. He talked about how we felt we were a lot better than they were.

Any time a losing team comes out and says they feel like the best team didn't win it's a bit of an issue, that's what I am saying. Again it's one thing to say you feel like you should have won, but another to say you were the better team.

that can sure work against a team, thinking you are better than your opponent after having your ass handed to you.........here we go again, thinking we should be in the title game and we haven't gotten through spring practice......these kids need to shut up and get to work.......bragging and jack-jawing never won anything...be humble, work on all that was obviously lacking from last season........sheeesh......

Have to agree, heard it every year so far. I'll just wait until i see it to believe it. Trust me I want to believe the hype, unfortunately i'm tired of being disappointed.

Really? Bo didn't seem too confident with the team in 2008. Remember how the coaches were on the field during that spring game? Bo has always tempered the team's performance/progress as "we have a long way to go" or "we are not even close to where we want to be".

Being completely ignorant of the other side shows that you are no better than anyone else.

The team needs to show improvement, they haven't been off-the-wall spectacular in any of Pelini's 4 years here (besides the D in 2009)

That being said, the team also looks like they have the potential to be better than any of Pelini's other 4 teams.

There's a lot to look forward to, and there's a lot to bite your nails about.

Yup.

These two guys get it.

tumblr_lwowlpAZjv1r8cwpko1_400.gif

riker.gif

yes-rudy1.gif

And his logic is based on a ton of variables, mostly, assuming that there is no improvement at all on the team, and it's going to be the same team, minus 3 guys. It completely ignores the fact that we were playing in an entirely new conference, changing the style of D we had played for 3 years, and dealing with a DC who was half assing his job (glad CP is gone).

Believe it or not, CFB is not played in a vacuum.

And everyone that feels the opposite of him is basing their opinion on a ton of variables, mostly assuming that there will be improvement, and that it's not going to be the same team we've seen the last 4 years. It completely ignores the fact that we are playing under the same coach, same offensive coordinator, same OL, same struggling QB, same difficult schedule, with a new defensive coordinator and changing style of D minus the 3 best players on the old style of D, and dealing with a DC that was an intern just a few years ago. (not happy JP is the DC)

Believe it or not, CFB is not played in a vacuum. :)

Oh hey, you're here to cherry pick comments again. It's funny, because last time you tried to do this (basically called me a Pelini cult fanatic) and paint a picture of me, I proved you completely wrong, and you ignored my response, because you were wrong, and didn't want to admit it.

For the record, I don't think we're going to see a much better team. I agree with everything he said pertaining to the media sunshine pumping that goes on. It was the end paragraph that was flawed, IMO.

i must have missed u proving me completely wrong. might have been on a friday afternoon and i don't check on weekend. golf clap 4 you friend. congrats.

I just picked this post because it was funny to me, how you can use the post almost word for word to make the exact opposite argument. Point is no one has a clue what this next season will bring. Those who argue it is going to be better are making all these assumptions about how this area is going to improve or this player is going to be better, etc...and all those that argue we'll have a similar or worse year just say "look at the last 4 years". Neither can be proved wrong in a forum. Playing the season will determine which is correct. You just sometimes choose to after the poster rather than the argument, so I called you out on it when I saw this post which I though was interestingly worded.

Wrong.

It's perfectly reasonable to expect improvement from underclass players. Not all do of course but most? Yep.

We're loaded to the gills with players who "should" get better this year. Bell, Tmart, JT, Green, Abdullah, Carnes, etc and that's just the offensive skill players. The Oline is overflowing with them too.....Sirles, Quale, Pensick, Moore, Long, Cotton & a lot of talented redshirts last year.

The defense as well with Ankrah, Cooper, Evans, Green, Guy, Jackson, Randle, Richards, Roach, Rome & Washington.

Mix those with battle tested veterans like SuperRex, Reed, Caveman, Steiney, Cotton, Tmart, Carter, Blatchford, Choi, Compton, Cooper and so on and I just don't get the Debbie Downer disease that's so rampant. I don't see how a reasonable poster can ignore the incoming talent and numbers of the Oline (finally!) which is such a huge, huge variable in getting wins. Defensively we just have to replace "one" great player. Crick was essentially hurt all year & Fonzy was healthy for less than half of last year. So again, we're talking "one" player. I think Bo is easily up for that.

Add in year two for our OC & Bo taking control of the defense again and.....well, I think we're getting close to where we should be.

Haha....I just can't help myself.

:koolaid2:

Not the biggest fan either but I don't think there's much point to analyzing it. It isn't a really bad attitude to have, I guess. Us against the world is how this team tends to operate under Bo. Like Taylor saying he doesn't have anything to prove to anybody (same article). The motivation is ery internal, very focused. That can work or not work and I don't think there's a right answer as to whether or not this way of doing things is good or bad.

The one thing is Taylor should have said that SC is a very good team, but the Husker players still feel they should have gone out and dominated, and htat they could have done it. That's a solid attitude to have. Even when you are beat, just be angry that you didn't do hat you should've, rather than throwing up your hands and admitting defeat. Putting down the other team though, sounds weak. Said to the media, I agree that's a misstep.

How do we know he didn't say something like that? We have a one line quote in a fairly large article. I mean, the media would never cherry pick a quote for a story.... right?

Uh, we know he didn't say that because he put SC down, which is the opposite of giving them credit. He talked about how we felt we were a lot better than they were.

Any time a losing team comes out and says they feel like the best team didn't win it's a bit of an issue, that's what I am saying. Again it's one thing to say you feel like you should have won, but another to say you were the better team.

Call me crazy, but I would guess that TM might have said a little more in his interview. He could have said they sucked, or he could have given them credit, and still said we should have beat them.

Second, the mid 90's huskers would like a word with you regarding the FSU and Texas games.

He did say that we thought we were the much better team. He said that. Fact.

Saying we are a much better team = putting down an opponent that thrashed us = impossible to be negated by anything else he might have said, unless he backtracked and basically took back what he did say.

Second, I did say there's nothing really wrong with that attitude. If I were a player I would feel that way about every single game no matter the reality. It's just that any time a loser goes to the media and starts talking about how they were a much better team, it reflects poorly. Saying you think you should have won, again, that's a different matter.

You guys should only be mad if Taylor said "Nah its ok we should've lost, they were better."

I'm a Carolina Alum and find no problem with what he said. He should think that, he's a player in the game, that's expected. Now it's not true but he can think that.

And his logic is based on a ton of variables, mostly, assuming that there is no improvement at all on the team, and it's going to be the same team, minus 3 guys. It completely ignores the fact that we were playing in an entirely new conference, changing the style of D we had played for 3 years, and dealing with a DC who was half assing his job (glad CP is gone).

Believe it or not, CFB is not played in a vacuum.

And everyone that feels the opposite of him is basing their opinion on a ton of variables, mostly assuming that there will be improvement, and that it's not going to be the same team we've seen the last 4 years. It completely ignores the fact that we are playing under the same coach, same offensive coordinator, same OL, same struggling QB, same difficult schedule, with a new defensive coordinator and changing style of D minus the 3 best players on the old style of D, and dealing with a DC that was an intern just a few years ago. (not happy JP is the DC)

Believe it or not, CFB is not played in a vacuum. :)

Oh hey, you're here to cherry pick comments again. It's funny, because last time you tried to do this (basically called me a Pelini cult fanatic) and paint a picture of me, I proved you completely wrong, and you ignored my response, because you were wrong, and didn't want to admit it.

For the record, I don't think we're going to see a much better team. I agree with everything he said pertaining to the media sunshine pumping that goes on. It was the end paragraph that was flawed, IMO.

i must have missed u proving me completely wrong. might have been on a friday afternoon and i don't check on weekend. golf clap 4 you friend. congrats.

I just picked this post because it was funny to me, how you can use the post almost word for word to make the exact opposite argument. Point is no one has a clue what this next season will bring. Those who argue it is going to be better are making all these assumptions about how this area is going to improve or this player is going to be better, etc...and all those that argue we'll have a similar or worse year just say "look at the last 4 years". Neither can be proved wrong in a forum. Playing the season will determine which is correct. You just sometimes choose to after the poster rather than the argument, so I called you out on it when I saw this post which I though was interestingly worded.

Wrong.

It's perfectly reasonable to expect improvement from underclass players. Not all do of course but most? Yep.

We're loaded to the gills with players who "should" get better this year. Bell, Tmart, JT, Green, Abdullah, Carnes, etc and that's just the offensive skill players. The Oline is overflowing with them too.....Sirles, Quale, Pensick, Moore, Long, Cotton & a lot of talented redshirts last year.

The defense as well with Ankrah, Cooper, Evans, Green, Guy, Jackson, Randle, Richards, Roach, Rome & Washington.

Mix those with battle tested veterans like SuperRex, Reed, Caveman, Steiney, Cotton, Tmart, Carter, Blatchford, Choi, Compton, Cooper and so on and I just don't get the Debbie Downer disease that's so rampant. I don't see how a reasonable poster can ignore the incoming talent and numbers of the Oline (finally!) which is such a huge, huge variable in getting wins. Defensively we just have to replace "one" great player. Crick was essentially hurt all year & Fonzy was healthy for less than half of last year. So again, we're talking "one" player. I think Bo is easily up for that.

Add in year two for our OC & Bo taking control of the defense again and.....well, I think we're getting close to where we should be.

the one downside to all the sunshine and lollipops is so many of these guys have never played a down next to the other guy.......that is huge. and some have never played a down in regular season competition.....not uncommon you say? OK, but with so much inexperience, looking to make a title game is in reality a wet dream. :leghump:

Being completely ignorant of the other side shows that you are no better than anyone else.

The team needs to show improvement, they haven't been off-the-wall spectacular in any of Pelini's 4 years here (besides the D in 2009)

That being said, the team also looks like they have the potential to be better than any of Pelini's other 4 teams.

There's a lot to look forward to, and there's a lot to bite your nails about.

like that idiot that posted #37 & #38

Not at all.

Wrong.

the one downside to all the sunshine and lollipops is so many of these guys have never played a down next to the other guy.......that is huge. and some have never played a down in regular season competition.....not uncommon you say? OK, but with so much inexperience, looking to make a title game is in reality a wet dream. :leghump:

So... aim low?

Look, nobody really thinks we'll win a MNC this year. But you gotta shoot for perfection if you want to be great.

Wrong.

So... aim low?

Look, nobody really thinks we'll win a MNC this year. But you gotta shoot for perfection if you want to be great.

no need to aim low, but professing to play for a MNC is a little much this early in the season with so much work needing to be done....nothing wrong with keeping it real....win the Legends Division?.........that would be great and doable......anything over that would be realistically totally unexpected.

Wrong.

So... aim low?

no need to aim low, but professing to play for a MNC is a little much this early in the season with so much work needing to be done....nothing wrong with keeping it real....win the Legends Division?.........that would be great and doable......anything over that would be realistically totally unexpected.

There's nothing wrong with saying you want to play for the MNC.