Local Swimming Spots

Bradr

I'm looking for any good spots in Eastern Nebraska or Western Iowa to spend the day on a beach, eat, drink, maybe start a fire pit, and take a dip or two in a lake/river. Maybe even camp for the night.

Anyone know of any good areas around here with a sand beach and not too much garbage/algae/annoying kids etc? Being able to bring in a cooler is a big plus - and we won't have a boat. Don't really care if we need to pay admission or buy a park & rec pass.

Thanks!

I'm looking for any good spots in Eastern Nebraska or Western Iowa to spend the day on a beach, eat, drink, maybe start a fire pit, and take a dip or two in a lake/river. Maybe even camp for the night.

Anyone know of any good areas around here with a sand beach and not too much garbage/algae/annoying kids etc? Being able to bring in a cooler is a big plus - and we won't have a boat. Don't really care if we need to pay admission or buy a park & rec pass.

Thanks!

The Fremont State Lakes are popular . . . but really crowded. They do have sand beaches.

Someone will probably give you a better option.

• 2 months later...

my fav. swimming holes ( aka surf spots/cruising/fishing) a few minutes from my house..... mostly surfing/body surfing spots

I hate you.

(that's pretty much all just jealousy talking there)

On a side note, I tried going to Two Rivers last weekend. Basically a camp ground/park rec area located in Waterloo with Platte river access.

Only stayed about an hour after surveying the area. Lots of campers with coolers and tents/rv's. Looked like you could easily drink a few at the camp sites.

Overall it was pretty crowded. Lots and lots of kids at one of the lakes that looked like it had a sand beach. By lots I mean 100+ in an area about half the size of a football field. Most of the adults were hanging out around their campsites or fishing in the lakes there.

The river access was very muddy and it looked like the river was pretty muddy as well. Couple dozen people wading around out to sandbars and such, or hanging our on folding chairs fishing/drinking. Water didn't look to get deeper than a few feet here and there. Probably about 100-150 yards across. Definitely no sand beach. The wife and I decided not to try it out and drank a few and moved on. Never got in the water.

Overall, would not go back.