Sipple: Random questions elicit intriguing answers

Because Nebraska's spring football season is largely devoid of pressing storylines at the moment, let's lighten the mood for Easter Sunday. You might be surprised what you can learn about a team by lobbing a few random questions. A big "thank you" to senior defensive end Cameron Meredith and senior tight end Ben Cotton for their patience and candid replies:

Q: In 2004 or 2005 (can't remember which), I saw ex-Husker defensive lineman Adam Carriker, after a practice, heave a football 70 yards while wearing a walking boot. It was an amazing athletic feat. Any freak athletes on the current team?

A: "It would be Tim Marlowe," Meredith said of his roommate, a senior wideout. "Any game we play, he always wins, whether it's golf, tennis, basketball, billiards, whatever. I'd say Kenny Bell is the same way."

Said Cotton: "(Defensive lineman) Baker Steinkuhler is a big, athletic guy. Same with A-Rod (offensive lineman Andrew Rodriguez). Even though they're linemen, they're big, athletic and fast.

"As for the smaller positions, (tight end) Kyler Reed is a freak-of-nature athlete."

Continue Reading

Interesting that Marlowe is one of the fastest on the team, maybe this will quiet all of the negative nancies a bit. I don't get all of the hate the guy, all he seems to do is work hard and makes plays when asked. I thought he did a good job last year.

I'd guess a good deal of the negativity stems from the fact that he is a Moonie.......................(can't be any good if he was a legacy scholly type of thinking)........ :facepalm:

Interesting that Marlowe is one of the fastest on the team, maybe this will quiet all of the negative nancies a bit. I don't get all of the hate the guy, all he seems to do is work hard and makes plays when asked. I thought he did a good job last year.

I think Marlowe is a pretty good slot guy, him and Taylor really seemed to start clicking at the end of the year. I like this article, just a change up interesting kind of thing.

Kind of a different but fun read.

Yeah I don't understand the hate for Marlowe either. He's just a quiet guy who works hard and you don't expect much out of him, probably because he doesn't "stand out" to anyone, but I think he is a solid player. He is faster than most people think.

Remember the reverse against Michigan State he almost [read: should have] scored on? He was burning on that run.

Hopefully he can make some plays for us this year. I think he's a great guy to have in the slot, and even run a few slot options with him. All you hear about is how hard he works and it shows because he was playing over Jamal Turner later on in the year.

Tim Marlowe is white, therefore he is a scrappy gym rat, a fundamentally sound leader, and full of grit and hustle. Meanwhile, a guy like Kenny Bell is black, therefore he is instinctive, athletic, dynamic, and a class act.

I better add this for all you people who are probably so high up on your moral high horse that you fail to take my humor for what it is:

:sarcasm

• Fire 1