Khiry Cooper to transfer to Tulsa

Hot off the presses:

Former Nebraska QB Cody Green Named Tulsa Starter

Cody Green has emerged as Tulsa’s starting quarterback following spring football drills, Golden Hurricane coach Bill Blankenship confirmed Monday afternoon.

Green, a junior transfer from Nebraska, was competing with redshirt sophomore Kalen Henderson for the vacant spot.

Following Saturday’s spring game, Green said he won’t ease up during the summer’s voluntary workouts.

“It’s going to be one of those things where you are fighting to stay alive,” Green said. “You are always going to have people biting on your heels if you are on top … come Monday, when we find out who is going to be the big dog, if it’s me or Kalen, we’re both going to be fighting.”

I'm happy he's come out of spring ball #1. Its the reason he left here so apparently it was a right move for him. It will also make for nice fodder this fall if he holds the spot as all the Monday Morning coaches can proclaim how much better or worse we would be if he had a "true" shot at QB here.

I'm happy he's come out of spring ball #1. Its the reason he left here so apparently it was a right move for him. It will also make for nice fodder this fall if he holds the spot as all the Monday Morning coaches can proclaim how much better or worse we would be if he had a "true" shot at QB here.

Like who? I don't care how good Cody does at Tulsa, we saw what he had to offer as a QB here and it wasn't pretty. It's obvious to me that Taylor is 10x the player that he was here, so I'll leave it at that. I'm not sure whether Cody's lack of development was his fault or the coaches', but he was the guy that everybody was excited about coming in then never materialized. To me, he just doesn't have the killer mentality that he needed but what do I know.

Imagine the uproar if Cody and Khiry start racking up the yardage down there at that second tier Oklahomy school. :lol:

Like who? I don't care how good Cody does at Tulsa, we saw what he had to offer as a QB here and it wasn't pretty. It's obvious to me that Taylor is 10x the player that he was here, so I'll leave it at that. I'm not sure whether Cody's lack of development was his fault or the coaches', but he was the guy that everybody was excited about coming in then never materialized. To me, he just doesn't have the killer mentality that he needed but what do I know.

It an apples and oranges comparison but there are enough dumb husker fans out there to not know that playing different teams, different systems, etc would yield different results. Just look at the rivals board if you don't believe me or any of the newspaper blog posts.

It an apples and oranges comparison but there are enough dumb husker fans out there to not know that playing different teams, different systems, etc would yield different results. Just look at the rivals board if you don't believe me or any of the newspaper blog posts.

Do you think we do a good enough job molding the "system" to our players....or do we try harder to mold our players into the system? Sometimes I don't feel like we're playing to their strengths. If we're truely "multiple" you'd think that we could adjust better. Beck seems better than Watson at that so far. Cody seems like a typical Bo/Beck recruit - not a Watson guy. It might have just been bad timing. I could see Cody becoming a Reesing style of player under Beck.

Do you think we do a good enough job molding the "system" to our players....or do we try harder to mold our players into the system? Sometimes I don't feel like we're playing to their strengths. If we're truely "multiple" you'd think that we could adjust better. Beck seems better than Watson at that so far. Cody seems like a typical Bo/Beck recruit - not a Watson guy. It might have just been bad timing. I could see Cody becoming a Reesing style of player under Beck.

It's hard to tell because we've changed our philosophy every year. I think keeping the same system 2 years will help bigtime.

Hypothetically - let's say Watson goes a year earlier, and Beck is promoted. What do you think the team would look like today? I think (assuming Beck had control and Bo wasn't making this call) - Lee is the man through 2010 with Green getting much more time...maybe 75 pass attempts. I'm not convinced Martinez ever becomes a QB here under that scenario. I think Beck would have seen Lee as a Reesing/Ganz type of guy and runs a very controlled offense through him while preparing Cody Green for a similar role in 2011/12.

I feel like things might have been very different for Cody Green had Watson not been a lame-duck OC in 2010. Bo was was calling the shots on the Martinez deal IMO...and I don't think he would have had Beck been in that role a year earlier. Things could be very different right now.

Hypothetically - let's say Watson goes a year earlier, and Beck is promoted. What do you think the team would look like today? I think (assuming Beck had control and Bo wasn't making this call) - Lee is the man through 2010 with Green getting much more time...maybe 75 pass attempts. I'm not convinced Martinez ever becomes a QB here under that scenario. I think Beck would have seen Lee as a Reesing/Ganz type of guy and runs a very controlled offense through him while preparing Cody Green for a similar role in 2011/12.

I feel like things might have been very different for Cody Green had Watson not been a lame-duck OC in 2010. Bo was was calling the shots on the Martinez deal IMO...and I don't think he would have had Beck been in that role a year earlier. Things could be very different right now.

Pretty sure Lee was hurt pretty bad all 2010 season and only saw very limited playing time.

I'm sorry, was that intended to be a joke? Or did you dust off your palantir and foresee that bshirt was going to post this in this thread, 8.5 hours later?

And I wouldn't consider one person's post as "roundly accepted." But that's just me.

It was just a good example of it. It is a fairly extraordinary claim that Cody has been privately bad-mouthing the school and our head coach since he left, the kind that should be met with questioning. Compare that with the similar 'insider, rumor' stuff that claimed Taylor at one point or another was ready to walk out on the team.

If you had doubts about this, forgive me for not seeing it in your post equating people who have nothing but praise for Cody with Bo bashers.

cooper_20120409112012_400.JPG

Oh great. Just after we train Khiry to catch and hold the ball like a Nebraska WR, he up and leaves for Tulsa. :lol:

edit: That's the pic in the article. Not sure if it's Khiry. LINK

Haha! yes, I think this is Khiry. #6 was his number until last year I think, when he switched to #1.

I'm sorry, was that intended to be a joke? Or did you dust off your palantir and foresee that bshirt was going to post this in this thread, 8.5 hours later?

And I wouldn't consider one person's post as "roundly accepted." But that's just me.

It was just a good example of it. It is a fairly extraordinary claim that Cody has been privately bad-mouthing the school and our head coach since he left, the kind that should be met with questioning. Compare that with the similar 'insider, rumor' stuff that claimed Taylor at one point or another was ready to walk out on the team.

If you had doubts about this, forgive me for not seeing it in your post equating people who have nothing but praise for Cody with Bo bashers.

You are forgiven.

Do you think we do a good enough job molding the "system" to our players....or do we try harder to mold our players into the system? Sometimes I don't feel like we're playing to their strengths. If we're truly "multiple" you'd think that we could adjust better. Beck seems better than Watson at that so far. Cody seems like a typical Bo/Beck recruit - not a Watson guy. It might have just been bad timing. I could see Cody becoming a Reesing style of player under Beck.

Yeah...I think Beck is going to eventually be the type who will figure out what we have and then try to mold the offense around that. Of course he'll be looking for a type of guy he wants but I think he'll play to the player's and teams strengths better than Watson. I liked Watson a lot as a coach and X and O's guy but he had to have the right people to do what he wanted. I think Beck is very much more conceptual about things and can come up with new ideas and tweeks based on a kids skills. I know he's stated that he put himself in a box too much last year. It was like a kid with a new toy. He wanted to see everything it could do and show the kids and coaches everything we could do without actually probably doing what we needed to do with the players we had. I know one thing Beck did was talk to Leach about concepts and offensive development. Not that we'll be an air it out offense, but the idea that you can have 10 plays in Leaches play book and do everything from that is pretty remarkable. Next to Walsh, Id say Leach is one the better offensive minds football has had. It will be much harder to do, but I think that Leach will eventually impact the college game like Walsh did the pro's.

Fair or unfair, true or untrue I haven't been able to get a real grasp on it yet but its sounding like Carl was having some impact on decision he shouldn't have. I think he was a stresser in the program and it probably wasn't known 100% until this last season or to what degree until he left. Sounds as though there is a lot of addition by subtraction there. I only bring this up because its been whispered that TM's dad was in Carl's ear a lot about the number of practice reps the back ups were seeing. I find it somewhat hard to believe that a parent has that type of influence and I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that if it did have an influence it would be very minor to almost none. I know Carl tried it with Watson and that was part of the fraction there, I don't know about Beck. But eventually a guy can wear down a little and give in because its easier.

I know the story about the April fools prank where Cam stole all the pens out of Carl's desk and he though Jamrog did it so he got pissed walked in and flipped the guys desk over was supposed to be funny. But it also shows that the guy kept things a little too on edge.

We'll see about the "addition by subtraction" situation. I'm getting the impression that may be the case too - even if Pap is in over his head. I'm pretty concerned about the defense this year. Hopefully Papuchis surprises me and he's fully ready to grasp the reins, but I'm afraid we'll see the effects of a defense left somewhat rudderless over the last couple of years, combined with the growing pains of a first-time coordinator (like Beck last year).

Not getting into what was going on with Carl, but there should be a lot less distractions with him in Florida. Hopefully that translates to better play on the field.

Fair or unfair, true or untrue I haven't been able to get a real grasp on it yet but its sounding like Carl was having some impact on decision he shouldn't have. I think he was a stresser in the program and it probably wasn't known 100% until this last season or to what degree until he left. Sounds as though there is a lot of addition by subtraction there.

I only bring this up because its been whispered that TM's dad was in Carl's ear a lot about the number of practice reps the back ups were seeing. I find it somewhat hard to believe that a parent has that type of influence and I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that if it did have an influence it would be very minor to almost none. I know Carl tried it with Watson and that was part of the fraction there, I don't know about Beck. But eventually a guy can wear down a little and give in because its easier.

Woah.

A lot of the ticky tacky grapevine stuff has been real negative on Carl, in more ways than just not liking the guy. I understand the personal issues with Carl, and the thinking that it was a distraction and affected the team. I can't get my mind wrapped around the purely football part. I have a hard time even understanding what is meant by Carl having impact on decision he should not have, or "Carl tried it with Watson." Do you know, by the way, the split of practice reps at QB between starter and backup, and if that has changed last year to this?

I know the story about the April fools prank where Cam stole all the pens out of Carl's desk and he though Jamrog did it so he got pissed walked in and flipped the guys desk over was supposed to be funny. But it also shows that the guy kept things a little too on edge.

Woah again?! Haha, that is a bizarrely funny image.