Nebraska comfortable with title talk

I wanna know if these cats know the difference between "we will win" and "we want to win".

"We will win", which nobody has said by the way, suggests the arrogance and delusions of grandeur that posters are balking at. This is where it stops, you understand these emotions and opinions immediately.

"We want to win", what they are saying, suggests something that they wanna do. Further investigation is needed with this phrase because it could suggest that that person just wants it and doesn't want to work for it. Clearly, these kids are working for these goals, have self-awareness of the problems that need to be fixed, and you can reasonably say that their "want to" is grounded in realism somewhat.

You can say "prove it" all you want, but how do you prove that you want something really badly?

A Big Ten title isn't unreasonable since the conference isn't too tough, but the idea of Taylor Martinez leading a team to a national title is nothing but laughable.

What is really laughable is posters like you. Frost, Frazier or Crouch couldn't have led last year's NU team to a NC either, genius.

Throw in Frazier or Frost's 94, 95 or 97 Olines, wrs & blackshirts and we'd be in the hunt big-time right now. Heck, just Crouch's 99 defense would probably be enough.

Actually, I think we agree on most points. I too do not want a player on my team who does not want to win or who thinks they cannot win. But.... a player who thinks they can win simply because they think they are good... that they can win w/o total dedication to the task... this I do not want...

To have a player say that "our mistakes cost us the game" with the implication being that we are better than they are and we just blew it is not what I would call a reasonable perspective. A better perspective is to say (and, of course, think) this: we screwed up and blew game after game because we are lazy, ill-prepared and unwilling to work hard, practice hard and to focus. We have been underprepared because we have not worked hard enough and it has shown on the field. We have made it easier for our opponents to beat us because we have not played anywhere near as well as we should play. When we lose like this it is because the team that beat us was better --- they were better prepared, they played harder, were coached better, and worked harder. They were better and we can have no more of this. We have to dedicate to play harder, play smarter and coach better."

Take responsibility for the losses. Admit you were outplayed, outcoached and fell to a better team. And then dedicate to never have that happen again. man up and admit it. They were better and we need to get better.

For the comment regarding the Ohio State loss --- I merely pointed this out --- some here seem to be saying that our losses to Wisconsin, Michigan, and South Carolina were losses against teams we were actually better than --- or at least comparable to --- but lost because we self destructed in those games. Well... my point is that if you are going to say that then you should be consistent and admit that our victory over Ohio State was more OSU screwing up than NU doing something special. It goes both ways. My take is this... Wisconsin, Michigan and South Carolina were all much better than NU --- better coached, better prepared, they played harder, were more focused, had better game plans, made better adjustments... which means they were better than NU. Period. We were better than OSU --- they played crazy bad football, undisciplined, poorly coached football --- NU was better that day.

No excuses is the point. When you suck --- and NU sucked on multiple occasions last season --- then admit you sucked and man up and through effort change things.

As it stands, NU is well behind Michigan and Wisconsin in the B1G. Well behind. Just admit it and live with it --- not be satisfied with it but recognize it. NU seems comparable to the best of the rest --- with several programs being close to NU --- MSu, Northwestern & OSU. That is how it is... until NU improves.

Actually, I think we agree on most points. I too do not want a player on my team who does not want to win or who thinks they cannot win. But.... a player who thinks they can win simply because they think they are good... that they can win w/o total dedication to the task... this I do not want...

To have a player say that "our mistakes cost us the game" with the implication being that we are better than they are and we just blew it is not what I would call a reasonable perspective. A better perspective is to say (and, of course, think) this: we screwed up and blew game after game because we are lazy, ill-prepared and unwilling to work hard, practice hard and to focus. We have been underprepared because we have not worked hard enough and it has shown on the field. We have made it easier for our opponents to beat us because we have not played anywhere near as well as we should play. When we lose like this it is because the team that beat us was better --- they were better prepared, they played harder, were coached better, and worked harder. They were better and we can have no more of this. We have to dedicate to play harder, play smarter and coach better."

Take responsibility for the losses. Admit you were outplayed, outcoached and fell to a better team. And then dedicate to never have that happen again. man up and admit it. They were better and we need to get better.

For the comment regarding the Ohio State loss --- I merely pointed this out --- some here seem to be saying that our losses to Wisconsin, Michigan, and South Carolina were losses against teams we were actually better than --- or at least comparable to --- but lost because we self destructed in those games. Well... my point is that if you are going to say that then you should be consistent and admit that our victory over Ohio State was more OSU screwing up than NU doing something special. It goes both ways. My take is this... Wisconsin, Michigan and South Carolina were all much better than NU --- better coached, better prepared, they played harder, were more focused, had better game plans, made better adjustments... which means they were better than NU. Period. We were better than OSU --- they played crazy bad football, undisciplined, poorly coached football --- NU was better that day.

No excuses is the point. When you suck --- and NU sucked on multiple occasions last season --- then admit you sucked and man up and through effort change things.

As it stands, NU is well behind Michigan and Wisconsin in the B1G. Well behind. Just admit it and live with it --- not be satisfied with it but recognize it. NU seems comparable to the best of the rest --- with several programs being close to NU --- MSu, Northwestern & OSU. That is how it is... until NU improves.

From your post:

Mistakes = we screwed up and blew game after game because we are lazy, ill-prepared and unwilling to work hard, practice hard and to focus. We have been underprepared because we have not worked hard enough and it has shown on the field. We have made it easier for our opponents to beat us because we have not played anywhere near as well as we should play.

I'm fine with the confidence and the swagger coming from these guys. There's nothing wrong with the confidence, confidence has never been a problem. The problem in the past has been how we've responded to the pressure of being in a tight situation. Last year is a great case in point:

@ Wisconsin: Nebraska takes it to them in the first quarter and for most of the second quarter...we go into that last couple of minutes before halftime down 17-14. And then mental errors hurt us, and we never fully recovered. We didn't respond well mentally when we were down 13 going into half.

vs Northwestern: They came out and played football, and I don't think a lot of the players (or us for that matter) were expecting a close game (because we had just destroyed Michigan State the week prior). Again, it wasn't the confidence that was the problem, it was the ability of us to respond when NW actually put us in a situation that was the problem--we tried to, and we didn't do enough.

@ Michigan: Really the same story as Wisconsin

vs South Carolina: Really the same story as Wisconsin and Michigan.

• Fire 1

From your post:

Mistakes = we screwed up and blew game after game because we are lazy, ill-prepared and unwilling to work hard, practice hard and to focus. We have been underprepared because we have not worked hard enough and it has shown on the field. We have made it easier for our opponents to beat us because we have not played anywhere near as well as we should play.

I'm fine with the confidence and the swagger coming from these guys. There's nothing wrong with the confidence, confidence has never been a problem. The problem in the past has been how we've responded to the pressure of being in a tight situation. Last year is a great case in point:

@ Wisconsin: Nebraska takes it to them in the first quarter and for most of the second quarter...we go into that last couple of minutes before halftime down 17-14. And then mental errors hurt us, and we never fully recovered. We didn't respond well mentally when we were down 13 going into half.

vs Northwestern: They came out and played football, and I don't think a lot of the players (or us for that matter) were expecting a close game (because we had just destroyed Michigan State the week prior). Again, it wasn't the confidence that was the problem, it was the ability of us to respond when NW actually put us in a situation that was the problem--we tried to, and we didn't do enough.

From your post:

Yep... the mental errors NU made that Wisconsin, Michigan & South Carolina did not make is what made those teams all superior to NU.

The quality of a team is the composite of what they do well and what they do poorly. NU prepares poorly, makes adjustments poorly, and is undisciplined and lacking in focus. That is what makes NU a lesser quality program currently than those programs (Wisconsin, Michigan & South Carolina) that obliterated us on the field. That IS why they are better. And that is what it is.

It's always good to believe. What else would you have them say?

You have to believe you are the best, and are going to finish the best, and bust your ass to get there. If you don't think that, go home. You can't sit there and say the team lacks killer instinct, and then when they start feeling a bit of swagger, bitch and moan. To be the best, you have to feel like the biggest, and baddest dude on the field. I find it cute that the same people that bitch about this, are the same ones who bag on Bo for "the process."

I agree with everything you said --- especially the part where you say --- and" bust your ass to get there."

My perception is that NU is unwilling to put in the effort. The evidence is on the field. Unprepared. they do not know where to line up. They are openly confused as to assignment. They are routinely out-hustled by their opponents. They have horrible fundamentals in terms of technique. Poor discipline. These are signs of a team that is not putting in the effort in terms of process. My perception, in part validated by some of the quotes of players, is that Nu thinks too highly of themselves and do not see themselves as being well, well, well off the level of the elite --- and, until one recognizes that they have an enormous hill to climb... well they do not begin the climb... they just sit there and marvel thinking that they are already near the top and surprised when "lesser" teams whip them.

NU again needs to man up, give their opponents their just do... and, as you say... " bust your ass to get there" --- that is devote to the process to ascend to the level of programs like Wisconsin, Michigan & South Carolina.

It's always good to believe. What else would you have them say?

You have to believe you are the best, and are going to finish the best, and bust your ass to get there. If you don't think that, go home. You can't sit there and say the team lacks killer instinct, and then when they start feeling a bit of swagger, bitch and moan. To be the best, you have to feel like the biggest, and baddest dude on the field. I find it cute that the same people that bitch about this, are the same ones who bag on Bo for "the process."

I agree with everything you said --- especially the part where you say --- and" bust your ass to get there."

My perception is that NU is unwilling to put in the effort. The evidence is on the field. Unprepared. they do not know where to line up. They are openly confused as to assignment. They are routinely out-hustled by their opponents. They have horrible fundamentals in terms of technique. Poor discipline. These are signs of a team that is not putting in the effort in terms of process. My perception, in part validated by some of the quotes of players, is that Nu thinks too highly of themselves and do not see themselves as being well, well, well off the level of the elite --- and, until one recognizes that they have an enormous hill to climb... well they do not begin the climb... they just sit there and marvel thinking that they are already near the top and surprised when "lesser" teams whip them.

NU again needs to man up, give their opponents their just do... and, as you say... " bust your ass to get there" --- that is devote to the process to ascend to the level of programs like Wisconsin, Michigan & South Carolina.

IMO, I think you're reading way to much into springtime quotes, especially when you don't know what question was asked.

• Fire 1

Saunders:

you could be right on my reading into the quotes too much.

yet... the principle is valid --- I think --- that Nu needs massive improvement in effort, intensity & focus and must improve hugely in terms of preparation, the development of fundamentals, and the coaching must dramatically improve before we threaten the conference elite on any regular basis.

And... these things may be forthcoming. perhaps now is where NU gets it together... or, at least starts making strides towards that end. I hope so. And, I hope the emphasis is placed upon the process of getting there. Talk of championships is likely a distraction... and is rather silly at this point.

The second point that I think is valid is that talk of NU championships is, at this point, silly....

If Missouri was talking of championships or KState, or Michigan State... well, we would simply laugh at how silly that would be. NU talking championships at this point is equally (or nearly) as silly. In most of the B1G fanbases, if they heard this NU winning the conference stuff it would raise only smiles and laughter. NU has a long, long way to go before such things should be even mentioned at this juncture.

Saunders:

This was an interesting statement you made...

Nope. Hunter94 and robsker are the only 2 on this board who know anything about college football. The rest of us are just f'ing retards who are imagining everything we see with our own eyes.

I cannot speak for Hunter94 on this --- though I get no sense at all that this reflects Hunters thinking --- but I can speak for myself. Your description does not seem applicable to me --- I rarely (almost never) am confrontational on this board --- and I cannot recall calling out any individual poster as a person --- I do differ in viewpoint fairly often --- and attempt to justify my position. I do not look down upon others whose views are more positive re: the NU program than mine. I also feel that there are many here (most, in fact) who know a great deal about college football --- and many more so than I.

One thing that maybe sets my perspectives apart from others in general, and likely yours Saunders... is that I think the passion that many of the posters have for Nu is so great, the devotion to the program is so great, and the desire to see the team and view the team as they want the team to be makes many see the team as being better/more competitive than they actually are. This is actually a something that I applaud --- devotion.

I am devoted too... a fan since I went to school at NU back nearly 30 years ago. Perhaps I am jaded and overly hedge to the negative. My take is that too many of the fans here see NU unrealistically as being better than they are --- projecting somewhat what they desire and conflating that with what is there. In other words, unrealistically optimistic. there are certainly worse things to be. perhaps being unrealistically negative --- which perhaps I am --- is worse. In any event, I in no way assert that i know football better than others --- and have never insinuated that other posters are in any way foolish. I don't think Hunter thinks that way either.

So.... Saunders, I never meant to insult anyone... and if I have, i apologize.

Saunders:

Nope. Hunter94 and robsker are the only 2 on this board who know anything about college football. The rest of us are just f'ing retards who are imagining everything we see with our own eyes.

I cannot speak for Hunter94 on this --- though I get no sense at all that this reflects Hunters thinking --- but I can speak for myself. Your description does not seem applicable to me --- I rarely (almost never) am confrontational on this board --- and I cannot recall calling out any individual poster as a person --- I do differ in viewpoint fairly often --- and attempt to justify my position. I do not look down upon others whose views are more positive re: the NU program than mine. I also feel that there are many here (most, in fact) who know a great deal about college football --- and many more so than I.

One thing that maybe sets my perspectives apart from others in general, and likely yours Saunders... is that I think the passion that many of the posters have for Nu is so great, the devotion to the program is so great, and the desire to see the team and view the team as they want the team to be makes many see the team as being better/more competitive than they actually are. This is actually a something that I applaud --- devotion.

I am devoted too... a fan since I went to school at NU back nearly 30 years ago. Perhaps I am jaded and overly hedge to the negative. My take is that too many of the fans here see NU unrealistically as being better than they are --- projecting somewhat what they desire and conflating that with what is there. In other words, unrealistically optimistic. there are certainly worse things to be. perhaps being unrealistically negative --- which perhaps I am --- is worse. In any event, I in no way assert that i know football better than others --- and have never insinuated that other posters are in any way foolish. I don't think Hunter thinks that way either.

Don't worry, I enjoy reading your posts, although I don't agree with everything you say, because at least your points are well thought out. Hunter just seems to bitch for the sake of bitching and posts nothing to back up his points. His one sentence posts about how this team sucks are seriously getting old.

Great point! NU's offense steamrolling the Buckeye's elite defense for 28 pts (35 if we would have needed it) in the 2nd half was a huge self inflicted wound. They indeed should have crushed us.

The turning point of that game was Braxton getting hurt and put out of the game. If he had stayed healthy our offense wouldn't have gotten nearly as many opportunities to score and come back. You're right, we hung 28 points on them in the second half but don't ignore the fact that Braxton was damn near unstoppable in that game. Half the posters in this thread could have had a better game than whoever replaced him. We got lucky.

Saunders:

Don't worry, I enjoy reading your posts, although I don't agree with everything you say, because at least your points are well thought out. Hunter just seems to bitch for the sake of bitching and posts nothing to back up his points. His one sentence posts about how this team sucks are seriously getting old.

Saunders:

I am actually getting tired of my own negativity --- someone needs to talk me off the ledge. I want to see the positives about this team... and I really would love to be surprised with a great effort from our guys this season.

I can think of one real positive that I keep hearing. there seems to be much more talk of player leadership on the team now relative to before. Like many of you, having been on teams before and having coached a little, I know (as do you) that having player leadership holding teammates accountable can really help a ton. So... lets hope that translates to more effort & energy on the field. You know, if we get beat, even beat often... that is OK so long as we fight to the death every game. Better still is winning through great effort. But great effort is what is needed --- maybe player leadership will help towards that end.

Saunders:

I apologize for lumping you in with hunter. While I don't really agree with how you see alot of things (lighten up francis!), at least you take the time and make an effort to show why you feel the way you do.

I think we're a good, not great team. I see what Bo and others are talking about when they discuss "the little things." We aren't getting run up and down the field being out athlete'd (is that a word?) by teams. We're killing ourselves because of our own mistakes. Even with the current talent level, if we fix that, we're going to BCS games.

But that's the hard part. There is no magic wand. Bo has to find out what works, just like every other coach. It took T.O. 9 years to win a conference title outright, and that's with back to back national titles, and huge advantages over most of the nation.

I am actually getting tired of my own negativity --- someone needs to talk me off the ledge. I want to see the positives about this team... and I really would love to be surprised with a great effort from our guys this season.

I can think of one real positive that I keep hearing. there seems to be much more talk of player leadership on the team now relative to before. Like many of you, having been on teams before and having coached a little, I know (as do you) that having player leadership holding teammates accountable can really help a ton. So... lets hope that translates to more effort & energy on the field. You know, if we get beat, even beat often... that is OK so long as we fight to the death every game. Better still is winning through great effort. But great effort is what is needed --- maybe player leadership will help towards that end.

Just drink some Kool-Aid, that will help. :koolaid2: