I serve an amazing God

Glad you're feeling better, but for the record I once fell very ill. After some time passed, I managed to feel a lot better. I never implored an imaginary friend to do anything about it. So, is my no one is an amazing nothing?

• Fire 1

I'm not looking at getting into a theological discussion on why or how, or even why not.

Then you might have been better served by choosing a different subject line for the post.

That being said Husker_x's advice is worth following. Get checked out by a Doctor. After all YHWH helps those who helps themselves.

nope, my subject line was perfect for what this post is about. The point of this post was about an experience I had, not other peoples confusion.

I'm not looking at getting into a theological discussion on why or how, or even why not.

Then you might have been better served by choosing a different subject line for the post.

That being said Husker_x's advice is worth following. Get checked out by a Doctor. After all YHWH helps those who helps themselves.

nope, my subject line was perfect for what this post is about. The point of this post was about an experience I had, not other peoples confusion.

You can't make a post like this, containing what many of us will consider to be a patently ridiculous story, and not expect people to attempt to engage you on the subject. Claiming after the fact that you're not looking to get into a discussion when you make a provocative post is more than a little weak. Put yourself in other people's position for a minute. What if someone posted that while suffering from explosive diarrhea, a sasquatch burst into their WC and magically cured them of food poisoning? What if the thread title was "My bigfoot is an amazing god" or some such? Think you might be more than a little incredulous?

• Fire 1

You know me well enough Knapp, I don't mean to trivialize what you've been through or your mom's life, but if she was the humble, ideal servant you describe (and I absolutely believe she is) then she is quite truly home with her savior, singing praises and free from the sin of this life. I know you don't necessarily believe that, but it sounds like she did and does :)

I know you mean well with this. My problem with it is that God is "the Father." I would never, ever treat my child like this. I should not be a better father than God the Father.

• Fire 1

You can't make a post like this, containing what many of us will consider to be a patently ridiculous story, and not expect people to attempt to engage you on the subject. Claiming after the fact that you're not looking to get into a discussion when you make a provocative post is more than a little weak. Put yourself in other people's position for a minute. What if someone posted that while suffering from explosive diarrhea, a sasquatch burst into their WC and magically cured them of food poisoning? What if the thread title was "My bigfoot is an amazing god" or some such? Think you might be more than a little incredulous?

Then ignore the post. I didn't say I wouldn't get into a discussion, I said I wouldn't get into a theological discussion on why God does/does not do certain things. The point of the post was to encourage someone who might need encouragement, not to get into a debate on theology. Just because you may think it's foolish doesn't mean everyone will.

And your argument is a little weak. There are millions of people who believe God is amazing. I can't think of a single person I have ever met that thinks Bigfoot is a God.

• Fire 1

Then ignore the post. I didn't say I wouldn't get into a discussion, I said I wouldn't get into a theological discussion on why God does/does not do certain things. The point of the post was to encourage someone who might need encouragement, not to get into a debate on theology. Just because you may think it's foolish doesn't mean everyone will.

And your argument is a little weak. There are millions of people who believe God is amazing. I can't think of a single person I have ever met that thinks Bigfoot is a God.

Calling it an argument would be generous. I deliberately chose a thoroughly ridiculous example in the hopes that it would be illustrative of exactly how ludicrous many non-believers find stories like this to be. Hopefully that bit of hyperbole can help you recognize how many people view stories like this one. After all, I think we'd both agree how completely laughable the idea of a bacteria blasting big foot is.

And to be clear, my issue isn't with what you're claiming, regardless of how silly I might think it is. You're free to believe whatever you want, and to attribute any natural occurrence to whatever supernatural entity you wish. That's your right. I'm merely challenging you on the fact that you essentially said 'oh, I don't want to get into a theological debate over this theological assertion I just made.'

Calling it an argument would be generous. I deliberately chose a thoroughly ridiculous example in the hopes that it would be illustrative of exactly how ludicrous many non-believers find stories like this to be. Hopefully that bit of hyperbole can help you recognize how many people view stories like this one. After all, I think we'd both agree how completely laughable the idea of a bacteria blasting big foot is.

And to be clear, my issue isn't with what you're claiming, regardless of how silly I might think it is. You're free to believe whatever you want, and to attribute any natural occurrence to whatever supernatural entity you wish. That's your right. I'm merely challenging you on the fact that you essentially said 'oh, I don't want to get into a theological debate over this theological assertion I just made.'

OK, I understand your point. But, in my OP, I did state: "I know this will probably be met with skepticism, and that’s OK, but I wanted to share this, so that if anyone else needs something from God, they can be encouraged by this."

So, I think I made it clear what the point of the post was up front.

So God will cure severe side-pain, but let people starve and die every day? God will cure side-pain, but he'll let people get raped and murdered? God will cure side-pain, but he'll let cancer destroy millions of lives ever year?

I don't claim to know how God works, but the Bible has literally dozens of examples of human prayer in intercession for others changing God's plan for someone or something. Maybe we are to blame just as much or even moreso than God for the rapes, murders, starvation, homelessness, genocide and every other evil in this world by not caring enough to do anything to stop it or pray on the behalf of those suffering?

Well, then that would insinuate God's plans for people are to kill them before they've lived a full life. When I was a much more religious person, that's one concept I could never grasp/understand. Why would the all loving Father have a "plan" to end a life before it had been fulfilled? Seems completely against the point of creating said life in the first place, since the purpose of all organic life is to procreate and live as long as possible.

That also puts blame on people, as if we have direct control over the well-being of others through prayer. Seems like a means of control and oppression, doesn't it?

You know me well enough Knapp, I don't mean to trivialize what you've been through or your mom's life, but if she was the humble, ideal servant you describe (and I absolutely believe she is) then she is quite truly home with her savior, singing praises and free from the sin of this life. I know you don't necessarily believe that, but it sounds like she did and does :)

I know you mean well with this. My problem with it is that God is "the Father." I would never, ever treat my child like this. I should not be a better father than God the Father.

The Bible's use of "the Father" is different than our every-day reference of our dad as our father.

So God will cure severe side-pain, but let people starve and die every day? God will cure side-pain, but he'll let people get raped and murdered? God will cure side-pain, but he'll let cancer destroy millions of lives ever year?

I don't claim to know how God works, but the Bible has literally dozens of examples of human prayer in intercession for others changing God's plan for someone or something. Maybe we are to blame just as much or even moreso than God for the rapes, murders, starvation, homelessness, genocide and every other evil in this world by not caring enough to do anything to stop it or pray on the behalf of those suffering?

Well, then that would insinuate God's plans for people are to kill them before they've lived a full life. When I was a much more religious person, that's one concept I could never grasp/understand. Why would the all loving Father have a "plan" to end a life before it had been fulfilled? Seems completely against the point of creating said life in the first place, since the purpose of all organic life is to procreate and live as long as possible.

That also puts blame on people, as if we have direct control over the well-being of others through prayer. Seems like a means of control and oppression, doesn't it?

I don't think anybody knows the true meaning of our existence, but I can almost guarantee that is not it.

The Bible's use of "the Father" is different than our every-day reference of our dad as our father.

Don't give me excuses. I've been through the bible cover to cover. I've run the gamut of church involvement, from leading bible studies to church council to choir to VBS leader to altar boy. I've delivered sermons, I've taught classes. I know what the bible means when it uses the word "Father" to describe God.

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

And before you give me the "Her reward is eternal life in Heaven with her Father," explain why she had to live on this earth in the first place, why she had to have hopes and dreams and plans, only to have them taken from her. If God truly loved my mother so much he wouldn't have needed her to prove her worth through tribulations before he allowed her to suffer and die to get to Heaven.

The body's natural ability to heal itself is amazing.

And usually that ability takes time and gradually gets better, he is saying this was instantaneous relief right after prayer...

If this was indeed a renal calculus, these may not only cause pain but also infection and necrosis of the nephrons. Pain does not usually subside until the calculi is passed. Sorry Benny, but infections do not go away instantaneous...the only disease I can think of in the peritoneal cavity/abdominal area that goes away instantaneous is an appendicitis after the appendix ruptures, but this causes peritonitis and can be fatal.

The body's natural ability to heal itself is amazing.

And usually that ability takes time and gradually gets better, he is saying this was instantaneous relief right after prayer...

If this was indeed a renal calculi, these may not only cause pain but also infection and necrosis of the nephrons. Pain does not usually subside until the calculi is passed. Sorry Benny, but infections do not go away instantaneous...the only disease I can think of in the peritoneal cavity/abdominal area that goes away instantaneous is an appendicitis after the appendix ruptures, but this causes peritonitis and can be fatal.

Surely we are not going to presume to diagnose this cause of pain over the internet to conclude that it was something that could only be cured miraculously, are we?

• Fire 2