The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

You do remember the "back of the bus", business not serving or allowing blacks, etc.? Please show me evidence of similar, current, bigotry perpetrated on members of the GLBT community.

Most states don't allow gay people to marry. That's at least as bad as what you're describing here.

• Fire 4

knapp- Please see my response to Stigori above. I believe the pollyannish view is that these protected status classes do any good at all. Sure they may keep an employer from listing the real reason they may have fired someone but they do virtually nothing to keep these people from being fired or not hired. If an employer wants you out of their employ, they will make it so whether it is for some bigoted, hateful reason or if it is legitimate. IMO, protected status classes of people are a joke, No law is going to change a persons bigotry. At best, it will only adjust how they implement it.

That being the case, I guess we can just go ahead and repeal all the rest of the civil rights legislation?

That is just childish. You are distorting my point entirely and intentionally. Much of the civil rights act was needed and still makes sense. You do remember the "back of the bus", business not serving or allowing blacks, etc.? Please show me evidence of similar, current, bigotry perpetrated on members of the GLBT community. You know, like a business that has a sign that says "Gays not welcome or served here". Would you like a standard double queen room, king sutie, or one of the gay rooms out back? I'm not seeing it if it's there I guess. Does anyone have certifiable evidence of a gay person being terminated simply for being gay?

I do remember, and that's why I made the post.

You asserted that "protected status classes of people are a joke, No law is going to change a persons bigotry. At best, it will only adjust how they implement it." My post was intended to contradict that idea by forcing you to think about instances where protected classes were necessary and had an impact. If I misunderstand your position, I apologize, but I don't see how that's childish.

I deleted my response... Some folks here don't want to discuss facts, so I'm sticking with the issue at hand.

Would've loved to hear an argument against my post, lol

There was no reason to. The thin argument you based your post on was proved wrong earlier in this thread. If couldn't see it then, you still won't. And we'll go round and round. Hence, my deletion of a response.

Oh boy lol

Look I have no 'argument' on this subject one way or the other. I have no opinion on homosexuality and no opinion on what Coach Brown is doing. All I know is when I see someone say something factually wrong, I'm going to point it out. Which is what I did. And you were factually wrong.

You don't just wake up and randomly decide to be a homosexual. An attraction to the opposite sex is a behavior that is affected by some aspect of your environment - society or your relationships with people, whatever. I have no idea what you're arguing...what, did one of your friends just wake up and take a bet - "hey dude i bet you $1,000 that you can't be gay for the rest of your life" ...no. Behavior is behavior, and it is almost entirely environmentally determined.

You don't just wake up and randomly decide to be a homosexual. An attraction to the opposite sex is a behavior that is affected by some aspect of your environment - society or your relationships with people, whatever. I have no idea what you're arguing...what, did one of your friends just wake up and take a bet - "hey dude i bet you $1,000 that you can't be gay for the rest of your life" ...no. Behavior is behavior, and it is almost entirely environmentally determined.

I know 2 people who did. Read the thread. Your argument is that people become homosexuals not because they were born that way, or made a conscious choice, but because of uncontrollable outside stigma? And so this uncontrollable outside stigma overrides basic genetic programming, causing someone to be gay. Thats it?

Ok.....

You don't get it Tschu. He KNOWS two whole gay people, so he knows everything there is to know about teh gay. You should give up before you embarrass yourself some more.

(There's absolutely no chance that his 2 magical gay friends / family members were living in denial like millions of gays around the world who were raised to be ashamed of who they were, and who eventually couldn't take it anymore and chose to be who they are rather than who they think the people in their lives expect them to be. That's just dumb.)

Just in case it's necessary: :sarcasm

• Fire 4

Sounds like Brown regrets giving Memorial Stadium as his address of record. So doesn't that clear up the issue that he is using UNL as his platform to voice his ideals and opinions based on religion?

I think, as long as he keeps his mind and mouth on football and other stuff, and away from controversial topics while on the job, and not link his personal beliefs to specific players, coaches or any staff within UNL or the university itself. He can stay. But he is skating on ice with hot blades.

You don't get it Tschu. He KNOWS two whole gay people, so he knows everything there is to know about teh gay. You should give up before you embarrass yourself some more.

(There's absolutely no chance that his 2 magical gay friends / family members were living in denial like millions of gays around the world who were raised to be ashamed of who they were, and who eventually couldn't take it anymore and chose to be who they are rather than who they think the people in their lives expect them to be. That's just dumb.)

It's awesome when people interject at the end of a thread without reading the whole thing. It's also awesome when random internet posters dismiss "magical" people they know f#*k all about. I have no need to make this up, because (as I stated before) I really don't care. I stated my opinion on the matter already. If you read the f'ing thread, try here and here, you'd see why this particular rabbit trail was started. And it seems Tschu and I agree on the surface. There' is no magical "gay switch." Which is why I asked in the first place.

Enough with this sh#t. I'm tired, and going to bed.