The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

If you want to read some really, reeeaaally dumb opinions, go read the comments beneath Dirk's latest Mad Chatter whatever article. Holy crap.

Damn..... it's full of derp.

Here's an interresting post: "Sooner or later Ron Brown’s stance is going to cost NU a recruit, and the University and the Athletic Department will be forced to make a decision."

That's certainly plausible. But off the top of my head, 3 NU players are there because of their relationship with Ron Brown and his faith. Aaron Green, Todd Peat, and Imani Cross.

Thoughts?

Jesus said that marriage was between a man and woman in Romans 1:27. Why would they be penalized if it wasn't deemed wrong according to Paul?

Of course, then there is 1Corinthians 6:9-11 which says those who practice sexual immorality, idol worship, adultry, thieves, greedy men, drunkards, slanderers, swindlers, and "men who have sex with men" will inherit the kingdom of God. It also states that "things like these" practices won't be tolerated either leaving the door open to other related subjects.

So, it is in the new covenant through Jesus as well.

You aknowledge that these are the writings of Paul; I am not an expert on Christian theology, but was Paul, Jesus? Does Jesus say anything about homosexuality in the gospals?

I guess the thing that bothers me most about what coach Brown's actions is that he is in the camp that believes imposing his beliefs on others with laws, or the lack thereof, is the right thing do. Would anyone be ok with a Muslim coach going to a rally to speak about the need to stone adulterers?

Paul was an accepted follower of Jesus and even PETER, who was an apostle and walked with Jesus and followed him...took a rebuke that Paul gave him and adjusted his behavior accordingly. If Paul can adjust Peter's thinking...an apostle who had the keys to the kingdom...I'm afraid your argument is irrelevant.

Didn't Paul (Sal) float around in the Mederterrain with a young lad forever? His writings are all negetive towards women. I think he was "fegaleh" :dunno

• Fire 1

I keep seeing people say that Ron Brown is OK as long as he makes it clear that these are his personal beliefs, and that he isn't representing the University when he presents them.

He's ALWAYS representing the University. He can't just clock out for the day and go to another life where people don't know him as an assistant football coach. He has the freedom of speech - he can go around and say whatever he wants. The University is also completely within their own right to fire him if he makes it clear that he doesn't fit it into their culture. He's not a tenured professor. They can get rid of him whenever they want.

It is also interesting (and I don't think it has been noted yet) that a strict interpretation of the Old Testament which condemns homosexuality would also bring into question the moral nature of football itself.

I keep seeing people say that Ron Brown is OK as long as he makes it clear that these are his personal beliefs, and that he isn't representing the University when he presents them.

He's ALWAYS representing the University. He can't just clock out for the day and go to another life where people don't know him as an assistant football coach. He has the freedom of speech - he can go around and say whatever he wants. The University is also completely within their own right to fire him if he makes it clear that he doesn't fit it into their culture. He's not a tenured professor. They can get rid of him whenever they want.

It is also interesting (and I don't think it has been noted yet) that a strict interpretation of the Old Testament which condemns homosexuality would also bring into question the moral nature of football itself.

Where did Ron Brown ever say that he based his beliefs off of a strict Old Testament perspective?

A phrase that has been popular for 10 or so years is WWJD (what would Jesus do). It would have been interesting if Jesus had been at the meeting in Omaha that started this discussion. Some think RB and Jesus would be debating on opposite sides of the issue. Some think not. Jesus himself said he didn't come to replace the law but to fulfil it. He wasn't concerned with rights as much as understanding and living by the first two commandments. Loving the Lord God and loving and respecting our neighbors. My best guess is Jesus would have offered life. The one he called "abundant." And I think we all have a lot to learn about that. Probably the question is do we want to seek it or continue to argue about the law? He told the woman at the well that "he didn't condemn her" but he also told her, "go and sin no more." Not because he condemned her, but because he wanted the best for her.

This is how I see Ron Brown. He isn't condemning people individually but calling out a lifestyle that he understands the Bible condemns.

• Fire 3

A phrase that has been popular for 10 or so years is WWJD (what would Jesus do). It would have been interesting if Jesus had been at the meeting in Omaha that started this discussion. Some think RB and Jesus would be debating on opposite sides of the issue. Some think not. Jesus himself said he didn't come to replace the law but to fulfil it. He wasn't concerned with rights as much as understanding and living by the first two commandments. Loving the Lord God and loving and respecting our neighbors. My best guess is Jesus would have offered life. The one he called "abundant." And I think we all have a lot to learn about that. Probably the question is do we want to seek it or continue to argue about the law? He told the woman at the well that "he didn't condemn her" but he also told her, "go and sin no more." Not because he condemned her, but because he wanted the best for her.

This is how I see Ron Brown. He isn't condemning people individually but calling out a lifestyle that he understands the Bible condemns.

A great way of looking at it. And I like "WWJD." I'm going to use that. :thumbs:

If you want to read some really, reeeaaally dumb opinions, go read the comments beneath Dirk's latest Mad Chatter whatever article. Holy crap.

Damn..... it's full of derp.

Here's an interresting post: "Sooner or later Ron Brown’s stance is going to cost NU a recruit, and the University and the Athletic Department will be forced to make a decision."

That's certainly plausible. But off the top of my head, 3 NU players are there because of their relationship with Ron Brown and his faith. Aaron Green, Todd Peat, and Imani Cross.

Thoughts?

You will never hear about the guys who flat out decline to speak to the staff. Its a pretty safe bet that there are potential recruits out there who have gay relatives and find Brown's comments and opinions very offensive.

You will never hear about the guys who flat out decline to speak to the staff. Its a pretty safe bet that there are potential recruits out there who have gay relatives and find Brown's comments and opinions very offensive.

Which is why it is a good thing that the coach is so vocal.

It's better to know ahead of time that a program has a bigot in a place of prominence than to be shocked when you find out later because he normally keeps it to himself.

As a follower of Christ I love Coach Brown and the missional work he has done in this world, but I disagree with the last statement. I don't think that what Ron Brown is doing looks at all like how Jesus lived. You know what words I didn't hear come out of Brown's mouth during this entire thing? Salvation. Grace. Forgiveness. Gospel. To name a few.

What he is preaching isn't what Jesus preached. Ron Brown's method is "what you are doing is wrong, you need to stop that and change" when Jesus' method was "I love you and have a plan for you" and then that love was what changed people's lives. Jesus accepts us as we are and changes us from the inside, we can't earn or will ourselves to be pleasing to God - we just have to place faith and let Him do the work.

• Fire 1