2012 Nebraska Cornhuskers and the 2013 Recruiting Class

If you watch the South Carolina game again, maybe you have I dont know, I think you will see what I am talking about. The only kid that you could say was head and shoulders more talented than any one of our guys was Clowney.

We played prison ball for 1.5 quarters of that game. In my opinion, our young and inexperienced guys got caught up in their SEC bull sh#t smack talk and we were out of our game and we weren't playing football. There were some very cheap things going on in that game. That was the only way they know how to play. If we win that game as we should have, this off-season people are talking about us winning the conference. Not losing 6 games as I have seen people post on here.

They didn't do anything wrong. Smack talk is part of the game and if our guys were too big of pussies to take it, then we don't have the type of players that we need to win titles here. How do you think NU won during the Devany/Osborne years? We did the same things that USC did only better. If you think anything different, then you are sorely mistaken.

If you watch the South Carolina game again, maybe you have I dont know, I think you will see what I am talking about. The only kid that you could say was head and shoulders more talented than any one of our guys was Clowney.

We played prison ball for 1.5 quarters of that game. In my opinion, our young and inexperienced guys got caught up in their SEC bull sh#t smack talk and we were out of our game and we weren't playing football. There were some very cheap things going on in that game. That was the only way they know how to play. If we win that game as we should have, this off-season people are talking about us winning the conference. Not losing 6 games as I have seen people post on here.

They didn't do anything wrong. Smack talk is part of the game and if our guys were too big of pussies to take it, then we don't have the type of players that we need to win titles here. How do you think NU won during the Devany/Osborne years? We did the same things that USC did only better. If you think anything different, then you are sorely mistaken.

would have to agree, the best team won that day and it damn sure wasn't us.......

We sure looked like the better team until the hail marry. I was pretty shocked how easily we could move the ball on them, and how good our defense looked. The backfield was 09 10' material. QB had no where to throw the ball, becuase our secondary was all over them. I almost couldnt believe what i was seeing, we were running right at them and taking it to em. Then we fell apart for various reasons. If we can play like we did the first half of that game on both sides of the ball, we could be a scary team. We should have won that game, and i believe it was a glimpse of things to come. Its all going to come together this season.

• Fire 1

Yeah, we started that game really strong. Then we lost it post interception.

There was a great analysis of Dennard vs Jeffrey a while back that showed he was really dominating the guy on bump coverage, but when asked to line up ten yards off, was when Jeffrey got to make some headway.

We sure looked like the better team until the hail marry. I was pretty shocked how easily we could move the ball on them, and how good our defense looked. The backfield was 09 10' material. QB had no where to throw the ball, becuase our secondary was all over them. I almost couldnt believe what i was seeing, we were running right at them and taking it to em. Then we fell apart for various reasons. If we can play like we did the first half of that game on both sides of the ball, we could be a scary team. We should have won that game, and i believe it was a glimpse of things to come. Its all going to come together this season.

Agree completely NU was going into score and fumbles. What would that have put us up by? Then the hail mary just killed them.

Team composure is the thing that needs to improve the most on this team. Three of the 4 loses are directly related to not being able to handle adversity and falling apart.

Agree completely NU was going into score and fumbles. What would that have put us up by? Then the hail mary just killed them.

Team composure is the thing that needs to improve the most on this team. Three of the 4 loses are directly related to not being able to handle adversity and falling apart.

I also agree. And the whole composure thing was to be expected with such a young team last year. It had better improve this year though.

1. Has the quality of discussion dropped?

I think I make quality posts that foster discussion and I don't drag other teams down as broadly as you did in your post. Did I offer up everything I happen to think about that game and it's participants? No. Because it would get me banned.

Again.

2. "That was the only way they know how to play."

Who is "they"? Carolina? Point out a game where a Gamecock played "prison ball." Did they play it against Navy's infamous cut blocking? Did Carolina's Quarterback react like a convict when an official threw him to the ground a few seasons back? No, Carolina plays spirited but fair football. If things were said that would hurt your feelings then get some thicker skin or lose games because of it.

If you are referring to the scuffle that occured I can only say that one player now has a history of poor impulse control even off the field and that young man did not wear garnet.

3. Better on that day? Sure Carolina was better that day, and better all season. Two wins better and in a tougher conference.

4. I venture to would say that players other than JC were head and shoulders better than Huskers. For example Jeffery was at least three shoulders, one head and six points better.

I will work backwards here.

4)Jeffery was in no way shape or form better than Dennard. He had one play that he beat Dennard on and that was the catch and the long run down to the 5. If you watch the game multiple times like I have Jeffery was so frustraited that Dennard was blanketing him the whole game that he ultimately started that fight. Dennard was playing the more physical football and Jeffery got angry and started the fight if you watch it again. The other was a Hail Marry that you can in no way attribute to Dennard. JSB was there until Jeffery blatantly shoved off. Watch the play.

Name more if you watched the game. You may be able to make solid cases for other players from SC, but I could again refute the point and make just as strong of cases for Huskers as well. Our make shift offensive line was more than servicable for basically 2 and a half quarters. That OL included three walk-ons a JC transfer, and a true freshman at times.

3) Kind of redundant to revisit my point.

2) There were things that happened during that game that I have had conversations about with other people. Bo Pelini as much as he is painted as this bigot, does not go off for no reason. There were things that didn't make TV that happened. There was a play were Bo was calling for an ejection of an SC player that wasn't even flagged. Consequently, there was a pass interference that was called on NU the very next play IIRC. Not claiming in the slightest that the referees were one sided, just giving you an example.

1) Come on Bucky, dont hold back. If you have some things to say about our guys say them.

We will see you guys in Lincoln this year. You will be treated much better down here than I was up there and that is a promise.

I also agree. And the whole composure thing was to be expected with such a young team last year. It had better improve this year though.

Finally some people that see things how I do! It is not out of this world to say that we had every opportunity to win that game. But with that said we did deserve to lose based on a few things.

I remember Devin Taylor wreaking some havok in that game, and Swearinger seemed to be everywhere. If Jeffry was blanketed all day, he wouldn't have had 150 receiving yards. They dominated the OL, and Martinez staring off into space certainly didn't help anything. They lived in the backfield.

I'm going to go ahead and just trust the coaches on this one. When one of our OWN coaches says that we lacked the talent that SC had on the field...I'm going to agree w/ him.

I think we did lack some of the talent and athleticism they had. IIRC they had a very good corner on their team as well, Gilmore. But Dennard got in Jeffrey's face and in his head. That matchup was won by Dennard even if Jeffrey ended up getting all the glory. We brought enough to the table - talent, scheme, gameplan - to win the game, regardless how talented/athletic they were. But then we fizzled.

EZ, love the optimism, but I hope it's not just that.

Here are Jeffery's "highlights" in that game if you will.

:12, :43, 1:08, 1:40 - that overthrow at :12 was TD. Jeffrey beat our guys a number of times that game.

:12, I crapped my pants on that one to be honest. I agree with you.

:43, an 8 yard reception will happen occassionally.

1:08, yes Dennard didn't get his hands into him at all and he ran right by him.

1:40, The Hail Marry, sure whatever.

So we are looking at 4 total plays. One wasn't even a first down, so to say that Jeffery was head and shoulders better than him when he was dominated by Dennard on every play but four is a bit silly IMO.

I remember Devin Taylor wreaking some havok in that game, and Swearinger seemed to be everywhere. If Jeffry was blanketed all day, he wouldn't have had 150 receiving yards. They dominated the OL, and Martinez staring off into space certainly didn't help anything. They lived in the backfield.

I'm going to go ahead and just trust the coaches on this one. When one of our OWN coaches says that we lacked the talent that SC had on the field...I'm going to agree w/ him.

I addressed the Jeffery comment in the above post.

They did not live in the backfield until the fourth quarter and they did not dominate our OL until that time as well. I rewatched the game yesterday as a matter of fact. I should have done a few more stats. Had nothing better to do.

Just dug up the old box score, game summary, and stat sheet:

http://www.huskers.c...pdf8/811144.pdf

All according to the above link:

South Carolina had less rushing yards than we did. We rushed for right around 200 yards at 4.6 yards per carry. USCe had 6 sacks in that game, 4 of which did not come until the 4th quarter. South Carolina had 16 TFL which is awful on our part and needs to be addressed. However, only three of them came before the 4th quarter and on those three one was a designed run by TMart which I suppose they counted as a sack (couldn't find the other sack that happened before the fourth quarter so I am going to assume it was this one, the other was Kyler Reed for a loss of 8 (?), the other Tmart was sacked for a loss of seven which it appears according to the above data that that concluded the 3rd quarter.

They lived in the backfield in the 4th quarter as was previously noted, but to claim that they lived in the backfield the whole game would be false according to the numbers.

Edit: 3 sacks that USCe got were on our last possession of the game. We averaged around 3.0 a carry, lost roughly 45 yards of rushing offense due to TFL and sacks in the fourth quarter.