Nebraska vs. The Big Ten - First Year Results

Women's soccer team parties way too much to be good, trust me

Don't just throw crap like that out there. You are not the only person on this board who knows some of these players. This kind of crap really annoys me.

unbunch the panties please... like usual, i was mostly joking

The Director's Cup is probably the best way to keep track of things like this - of course, it puts equal weight into all sports, but it's as good as measure as you'll get across the college sports landscape :

http://www.nacda.com...nt-scoring.html

Big Ten Rankings

Fall Sports (Cross Country, Football, Field Hockey, Soccer, Volley Ball, Water Polo)

#5 Michigan

#6 Penn State

#12 Ohio State

#14 Wisconsin

#16 Illinois

#25 Michigan State

#38 Indiana

#40 Minnesota

#52 Purdue

#61 Nebraska

#105 Iowa

#105 Northwestern

Winter Sports (Basketball, Bowling, Fencing, Gymnastics, Ice sports, rifle, track)

#2 Ohio State

#3 Penn State

#5 Michigan

#6 Minnesota

#10 Wisconsin

#15 Illinois

#18 Michigan State

#25 Indiana

#29 Nebraska

#34 Iowa

#37 Purdue

#61 Northwestern

Spring Sports - to be released end of June

The Director's Cup is probably the best way to keep track of things like this - of course, it puts equal weight into all sports, but it's as good as measure as you'll get across the college sports landscape :

You hit the nail on the head. It doesn't make sense to weight field hockey as heavily as football. How many fans have ever even seen a field hockey game? Or for that matter, even know how many players are on a FH team or how long a game lasts? (I don't think NU even has a FH team, right?)

If you applied any sort of weighting system to the fall sports we'd probly be 40 spots higher. For example, here's a 1-100 ranking I'd suggest for the fall sports: Football = 90, Volley Ball = 40; Soccer = 30; Cross Country = 10; Field Hockey = 10; Water Polo = 10). Such a ranking (which I just made up, eyeballing it, btw) would put us in the 20--maybe even top 15.

You hit the nail on the head. It doesn't make sense to weight field hockey as heavily as football. How many fans have ever even seen a field hockey game? Or for that matter, even know how many players are on a FH team or how long a game lasts? (I don't think NU even has a FH team, right?)

If you applied any sort of weighting system to the fall sports we'd probly be 40 spots higher. For example, here's a 1-100 ranking I'd suggest for the fall sports: Football = 90, Volley Ball = 40; Soccer = 30; Cross Country = 10; Field Hockey = 10; Water Polo = 10). Such a ranking (which I just made up, eyeballing it, btw) would put us in the 20--maybe even top 15.

I think you may be missing the point--this is a look at how competitive our athletic teams and overall program is. The Director's Cup is an extension of this thinking. Attendance or popularity doesn't enter into the equation, nor should it--just whether or not the athletic teams our school put out to compete were successful.

Just because there aren't 86k sets of eyeballs on each and every game, that shouldn't diminish the success these kids had at Nebraska in their sport. Hell, we've had championship Bowling teams at DoNU, and I doubt very few stopped down to watch them, but it doesn't diminish their significant accomplishment, nor should it, and it contributes to the overall strength of the Athletic Department.

I think you may be missing the point--this is a look at how competitive our athletic teams and overall program is. The Director's Cup is an extension of this thinking. Attendance or popularity doesn't enter into the equation, nor should it--just whether or not the athletic teams our school put out to compete were successful.

Just because there aren't 86k sets of eyeballs on each and every game, that shouldn't diminish the success these kids had at Nebraska in their sport. Hell, we've had championship Bowling teams at DoNU, and I doubt very few stopped down to watch them, but it doesn't diminish their significant accomplishment, nor should it, and it contributes to the overall strength of the Athletic Department.

I think you may be missing the point--as very, very few people give even the tiniest rats ass about those Title-9 sports they then don't contribute financially (just the opposite actually). I fail to see how they give strength to the Athletic Department. They're really just burden cfb has to carry on it's back. Someday Atlas will shrug.

I only have one question about the Director's Cup. Does it give any consideration to # of sports a school has? Because the B1G schools vary pretty broadly in the # of athletic programs the different departments support. Isn't Ohio State at some astronomical # of athletic programs? Over 30, I think? Tough to make that comparison when you have more sports to rack up points. That's the only particular point I would make about putting too much stock in the Director's Cup.

The Director's cup doesn't factor in the # of sports that the school has, so you are completely right in that a school like OSU (and Stanford, who tends to win the cup) has a large advantage.

The link has the raw data so it's definitely possible to create a separate ranking to filter based on just the sports that UNL has...but I couldnt figure out an easy way to dump the pdf table to excel so I gave up. Feel free to give it a try though :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just to give a final update on the Director's Cup :

http://thedirectorsc...nfstandings.pdf

Final Standings

#3 Ohio State

#7 Michigan

#10 Penn State

#19 Illinois

#20 Minnesota

#24 Wisconsin

#34 Indiana

#35 Michigan State

#38 Nebraska

#42 Northwestern

#47 Iowa

#48 Purdue

...and just for fun, the Big 12 rankings :

#5 Big 12 Texas

#11 Big 12 Texas

#16 Big 12 Oklahoma

#26 Big 12 Baylor

#40 Big 12 Oklahoma State

#44 Big 12 Iowa State

#50 Big 12 Missouri

#52 Big 12 Kansas

#62 Big 12 Kansas State

#68 Big 12 Texas Tech

The Director's cup doesn't factor in the # of sports that the school has, so you are completely right in that a school like OSU (and Stanford, who tends to win the cup) has a large advantage.

The link has the raw data so it's definitely possible to create a separate ranking to filter based on just the sports that UNL has...but I couldnt figure out an easy way to dump the pdf table to excel so I gave up. Feel free to give it a try though :)

The best 10 scores for each sex are used. If a school has 20 men's and 25 women's sports it has a better chance of scoring higher than a school with, say, 11 sports for each gender. But a school with just 22 sports can, in theory, win the Directors' Cup.