My Crazy B1G Expansion Idea

First we add 4 teams. I don't like the idea of 14 teams I don't see any good way to make it work.

Notre Dame

Virginia Tech

Syracuse

Pittsburg

Second We divide our conference into 4 divisions instead of 2 and name them geographically

East:Penn State,Pittsburg,Virginia Tech, Syracuse

West: Nebraska, WIsconsin, Iowa, Minnesota

North: Ohio State, Michigan , Indiana, Purdue

SouthMichigan State, Notre Dame, Illinois, Northwestern

Each Team play the 3 teams in its division and 2 in every other division creating 9 conference games. Each team only is allowed 2 non conference games.

3rd we create a B1G conference tournament. The winner of each division plays winner of other division (north south and west east). Then Winner of semifinals play for B1G CHampionship.

This would allow us to expand but still have significant conference games and every team would be played 2 times in a 4 year span, divisional games played every year.

No to Pitt-blah! (Unless they get rid of Pederson!!) Why Notre Dame? Syracuse-yes; V-Tech-yes; I'd rather have some of our old Big 8 teams come aboard-Oklahoma would be fabulous as well as maybe Kansas-too bad Mizzou went to the SEC, it would've been fun to have them too. However, I do like 'add 4 new teams' concept and like the way you've split up the conference into 4 divisions instead of two.

Why Notre Dame?

They would secure the NY market and a large national market. Despite how much we may not like them, they have a huge following, more than any other college team in NY and quite possibly the largest fan base in the country.

Also would provide even more marque games for primetime TV.

So to simply put it - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Also they have very strong academics (so much so, that their actually very worried that joining the Big Ten would lower their academic status).

No to Pitt-blah! (Unless they get rid of Pederson!!) Why Notre Dame? Syracuse-yes; V-Tech-yes; I'd rather have some of our old Big 8 teams come aboard-Oklahoma would be fabulous as well as maybe Kansas-too bad Mizzou went to the SEC, it would've been fun to have them too. However, I do like 'add 4 new teams' concept and like the way you've split up the conference into 4 divisions instead of two.

Why Notre Dame? In my mind Notre Dame is the only no-brainier candidate up there.

They already have three active rivalries with B1G members as well as dormant ones with three others.

Strong Academics, shared culture, great history, smack dab in the middle of our region with a massive national fan base and they don't already have a conference affiliation with one of the big four though the issue is likely to be forced...how do you not pursue ND?

They're a Big Ten school, they just haven't joined yet.

I know that the Big Ten is big into culture, but if forced, I think we should go after Georgia Tech for the Atlanta market and to gain some recruiting ground $EC territory.

Our biggest priority should be to get Notre Dame if we want to truly expand to grab the NY market (maybe even pair Syracuse for basketball and to indoctrinate the NY media even further into the conference).

VT or Maryland (or a pairing) would also be nice for the DC & Baltimore markets.

Why are we so hung up on markets? Aside from Atlanta and NO what great markets does the SEC pull? Not many. At least not in comparison to us. They get TV money because they have great teams that play National Championship football. People watch for that reason and the networks reward them for it. The power brokers also know that GT doesn't pull metro Atlanta, UGA and to a lesser extent AU do.

We don't need to add the Jackets to get more money. To do that we need to improve our product. Big name teams and winning titles will make that happen. That's why adding NU was a great move and ND is the next logical step.

We already have great regional markets. The goal is a national one.

3 reasons for Pitt: They are an AAU (academics) member, they have a rivalry with Penn State, and location.

But the biggest negative is their AD! What he did to Nebraska is just beneath contempt. If they change their AD I would welcome them with open arms but just the thought of what he did to NU makes my blood boil!!

3 reasons for Pitt: They are an AAU (academics) member, they have a rivalry with Penn State, and location.

But the biggest negative is their AD! What he did to Nebraska is just beneath contempt. If they change their AD I would welcome them with open arms but just the thought of what he did to NU makes my blood boil!!

I'm sure that's high on Delaney's list of expansion concerns.

• Fire 2