Osborne speaks

Osborne wishes Callahan well during hard times

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Like many Nebraskans, Tom Osborne is concerned about the state of Cornhuskers football.

Unlike many Nebraskans, the former Huskers coach is reserving judgment on the job Bill Callahan is doing.

"Unless you're there, unless you're preparing for 90 hours during the week and are in the meetings and on the practice field, it is so difficult to know for sure what all the circumstances are and what's going on," Osborne said Wednesday. "I would be the last one to pass judgment on another coach and what he's going through. I just know that it's a lot harder than it looks. I just wish him well."

Osborne, Nebraska's 3rd District congressman and a 2006 gubernatorial candidate, said he has attended most of the Huskers' home games this season. Nebraska is 5-4 after three straight losses, including last week's 40-15 defeat at Kansas. That loss ended Nebraska's 36-year winning streak over the Jayhawks.

Osborne called it a "fairly thorough beating."

"I know that after last Saturday I really felt bad," Osborne said. "I just felt bad for the players, I felt bad for the coaches, and I felt bad for the state. I figured that was one people were going to take hard.

"Nothing goes on forever. You can't beat a team forever. To have 36 years or whatever it was is almost unbelievable. I hope some people will look back and say we really did well for an awful long time and appreciate that as well as being concerned about the loss."

Osborne said he hasn't spoken much with Callahan since shortly after the coach was hired in January 2004. Osborne said former Huskers player and assistant Turner Gill had asked him to meet with Callahan and his staff to discuss Nebraska's football traditions.

"Everybody was very cordial," Osborne said. "I didn't detect any negativism. It's just that they've been busy, I've been busy, and I haven't had much contact since that time."

Osborne was 255-49-3 as coach from 1973 to 1997, and he won two national championships and shared a third. He never won fewer than nine games in a season.

Osborne's name will be attached to the football facility under construction at Memorial Stadium. As part of the project, some 5,000 seats will be added in the north end zone.

The Huskers have sold out every game since 1962, an NCAA record. Whether the sellout streak continues could hinge on how the Huskers finish this season, Osborne said.

"If they win the next two and a bowl game, there will be a lot of momentum going into next year," Osborne said. "On the other hand, if they don't win the next two, things will be much harder.

"Nebraska fans are fairly resilient, very loyal, and I think those seats will still be sold. It'll be easier if things go well."

I don't belive TO is the kind of guy that would have any 'holier than thou' feelings right now. Though there has got to be some ill-feelings with Solich being fired, as TO did pick FS to be his successor. Anyway, I think he's as frustrated with the Huskers as about any of us are, but is willing to sit back and watch everything unfold. I mean, he did have Husker Fans calling for his head early in his career.

For people who say and will say "what else did you expect him to say" he could have simply refused a interview if he was against Callahan and the coaching staff, but he decided to SPEAK out. That's why i know he supports this staff and like all of us is probably a little dissapointed in where we are at this point

If he refuses an interview that makes him look guilty of not supporting the coaches. It's like taking the 5th amendment. When you take it, your not admitting guilt, but everyone is wondering why you don't just tell what happened. It just doesn't look good on his part.

Of course he is not going to come out and say BC is a jack@ss or he is incompetant. He doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. He just wants to give the media their interview and maybe ease some of the criticism.

You would think if TO supports Callahan, that all these fans calling for SP/Bill Callahan's head to support him too.

TO is the example of class, to bad some fans have shown they aren't. What's more stronger then the old coach himself coming out and saying "I just know that it's a lot harder than it looks. I just wish him well"

I bet deep down osborne hopes callahan falls flat on his face. He isn't going to say that because that would be dumb on his part and he's not that kind of guy.

You would think if TO supports Callahan, that all these fans calling for SP/Bill Callahan's head to support him too.

TO is the example of class, to bad some fans have shown they aren't. What's more stronger then the old coach himself coming out and saying "I just know that it's a lot harder than it looks. I just wish him well"

I bet deep down osborne hopes callahan falls flat on his face. He isn't going to say that because that would be dumb on his part and he's not that kind of guy.

And I doubt that Dr. Tom is that petty. Actually, I would imagine that he wants the program to suceed, which means he wants whomever is the coach to suceed. I further suspect that he cares enough for the program that he doesn't have irrational hatred toward the coach, and pulls for whomever is the coach.

Some people are simply bigger than those kinds of juvenile feelings, and I like to think he's one of them.

And I doubt that Dr. Tom is that petty. Actually, I would imagine that he wants the program to suceed, which means he wants whomever is the coach to suceed. I further suspect that he cares enough for the program that he doesn't have irrational hatred toward the coach, and pulls for whomever is the coach.

Some people are simply bigger than those kinds of juvenile feelings, and I like to think he's one of them.

:clap

You mean TO is above irrational hate? Some people try to read way too much into this. TO can really say nothing on this matter that is constructive that will appease people so he chose to basically say something without saying anything.

I guess you have misunderstood TOs "wishing the team and coaches well" as a vote of confidence in the staff. Do you really think that he wants to see a program he helped build and put the majority of his life into fail :wtf

I'd be interested to hear whether TO thinks that billy c can right this ship, and get the program going in the right direction. I agree with DJR, he basically didnt say anything.