Athletes of the Year vs. Husker football recruiting: A diminishing correlation?

also, you cant compare the coaching ability of our staff today, to the staff under Osborne. They just arent in the same category when it comes to player development.

Pretty much the most unfair statement regarding this staff ever, considering the Osborne staff of the 90's had a light years advantage in player development programs, both physically and psychologically. Dont undermine the fact that in 90's and maybe even some in the 80's, Nebraska was so far ahead of the rest of the nation in strength and conditioning as well as player psychology that we were able to take great Nebraska athletes and turn them into dominant players against D1 competition. Pelini doesnt have that advantage, and frankly neither does anyone else in the nation. That is why what Nebraska did in the 90's simply will never happen again. Right now Nebraska is again trying to gain an advantage in player development with some of the things being utilized in the East stadium exp, in order to again make up for some shortcomings in recruiting. But, with how universities around the country have put such emphasis on atheltic programs today as compared to the 80's and 90's when Nebraska was taking giant leaps, I see any advantage to be short lived.

Maybe that 5 year stretch - but I could see Alabama putting together a decade that tops our 90's from 09-19. Just don't see them falling off much. They certainly have a fair chance...I certainly can't say it won't ever happen again. They have the advantages in recruiting (whatever that is) and coaching that sets them apart.

But I'm w/ you on the player development. I also think that players are entering college at an entirely different level than they once were. You used to recruit potential, now to win you almost have to recruit immediate impact guys. Look at these freshman playing for Alabama...it's not as much about player development anymore because they have the resources prior to coming to college that guys didn't have in the 80's and 90's. A nice weight room isn't going to turn a farm kid into a super star anymore - he's likely had access to that for the last 5-6 years. Nutrition is common knowledge among any high school athlete. Training programs and drills are a click away w/ the internet. So many differences between now and the 90's.

I see another example of how hard it is for us to compete in recruiting. In the past, we had some great athletes in-state that made waves on the field. Now, a lot of the best athletes the state produces don't even play football after high school. Tough to refill the roster when you have very little in-state talent to work with.