Athletes of the Year vs. Husker football recruiting: A diminishing correlation?

This is a list of the last 30 years of the Omaha World Herald’s Male Athlete of the Year winners.

It looks like things have drastically changed in this time period.

10 to 30 years ago, Husker football got about 70 to 80% of these guys.

This last decade, only 20-30%.

Is that because athletes are specializing so much more………or is it more a function of our recruiting strategy?

2012: Mike Shoff, Cambridge

2011: Ted Lampkin, Omaha Central

2010: Deverell Biggs, Omaha Central

2009: Ron Coleman, Omaha North

2008: John Levorson, Crete

2007: Niles Paul, Omaha North

2006: Ian Dike, Lincoln Southwest

2005: Robert Rands, Bellevue East

2004: Danny Woodhead, North Platte

2003: Andy Birkel, Lincoln Southeast

2002: Shawn Swan, Ralston

2001: Alex Gordon, Lincoln Southeast

2000: Richard Ross, Lincoln High

1999: Trevor Johnson, Lincoln Northeast

1998: Aaron Golliday, York

1997: Matt Davison, Tecumseh

1996: John Gibson, Papillion-La Vista

1995: Ahman Green, Omaha Central

1994: Ted Butler, Lincoln SE

1993: Scott Frost, Wood River

1992: Erick Strickland, Bellevue West

1991: Clester Johnson, Bellevue West

1990: Cory Schlesinger, Columbus

1989: Scott Bream, Millard South

1988: Kevin Ramaekers, Norfolk Catholic

1987: Tom Haase, Aurora

1986: Leodis Flowers, Omaha Central

1985: Gerry Gdowski, Fremont

1984: John Kroeker, Henderson

1983: Jeff Taylor, Omaha Westside

1982: Larry Station, Omaha Centra

This is a list of the last 30 years of the Omaha World Herald’s Male Athlete of the Year winners.

Is that because athletes are specializing so much more………or is it more a function of our recruiting strategy?

I would say that a lot of these guys except Shoff werent good enough to get an offer. They havent really been producing much talent lately. This year we will take more Nebraska klids on scholarship. Bando, Maybe Minter.

Let's just start at the year 2005 for sh#ts and giggles. Rand played football but far more excelled at track. 2006 Ian Dike was gonna play baseball,

2007 Niles signed

2008 Levorson, signed but was a much better basketball player IMO and was a pretty good high jumper in track

2009 Ron Coleman was a much better wrestler than FB player. Was good on the grid iron but owned the mat.

2010 Biggs owned the court

2011 Lampkin, wasn't offered much in football, but was a much better BBaller and track athlete

2012 I think Nu missed on Schoff but this honor has a TON more to do with him being untouchable on the wrestling mat and owning the shot put ring than his FB skills. The kid is a physical specimen that I do believe could have played a ton here.

What am I trying to get at here, most of these kids excelled in multiple sports in HS. In fact the majority of whom I listed, FB was probably their second or third best sport. When there are definite needs that need met on the football field, a guy who may be labled as a "wildcard"(ie Lampkin, Coleman, Rand and Levorson for that matter) are high risk when it comes to limited spots.

And honestly in the list you posted, NU got close to 80-90% of those guys to play football.

Let's just start at the year 2005 for sh#ts and giggles. Rand played football but far more excelled at track. 2006 Ian Dike was gonna play baseball,

2007 Niles signed

2008 Levorson, signed but was a much better basketball player IMO and was a pretty good high jumper in track

2009 Ron Coleman was a much better wrestler than FB player. Was good on the grid iron but owned the mat.

2011 Lampkin, wasn't offered much in football, but was a much better BBaller and track athlete

2012 I think Nu missed on Schoff but this honor has a TON more to do with him being untouchable on the wrestling mat and owning the shot put ring than his FB skills. The kid is a physical specimen that I do believe could have played a ton here.

What am I trying to get at here, most of these kids excelled in multiple sports in HS. In fact the majority of whom I listed, FB was probably their second or third best sport. When there are definite needs that need met on the football field, a guy who may be labled as a "wildcard"(ie Lampkin, Coleman, Rand and Levorson for that matter) are high risk when it comes to limited spots.

And honestly in the list you posted, NU got close to 80-90% of those guys to play football.

Appreciate your analysis.........

And for the entire 30 years, 80% is correct............BUT that was setting the bar.

The point of the thread was that for the last decade.......(for whatever reason....either ours or the athletes decision......or other sports)..........not nearly the same

We missed in 2012; 11; 10; 9; 6; 5; 4; 2..........plus however we slot Birkle........at best 20%

you really cant say we missed on them unless they went on and had a great career playing football....ie Woodhead

Good point........I meant missed in the sense that they did not compete here......not in a negative or "blame" sense.

ok good i gotcha. I think they missed on shoff, he would have came in and competed hard being a Nebraska boy, and we certainly had room for him with the Peat decision, and undersigning by 3 or 4 guys last class, especially with all these transfers.

I think he would of been a beast. He looked good for his weight.

ok good i gotcha. I think they missed on shoff, he would have came in and competed hard being a Nebraska boy, and we certainly had room for him with the Peat decision, and undersigning by 3 or 4 guys last class, especially with all these transfers.

Definitely agree with you on Shoff.

You've got to wonder what the staff did not like about him in comparison to some others. Certainly couldn't have been attitude. Hope this doesn't become a Woodhead - type angst down the road.

2007 Niles signed

And for the entire 30 years, 80% is correct............BUT that was setting the bar.

The point of the thread was that for the last decade.......(for whatever reason....either ours or the athletes decision......or other sports)..........not nearly the same

We missed in 2012; 11; 10; 9; 6; 5; 4; 2..........plus however we slot Birkle........at best 20%

I guess you need to define miss. Because Ian Dike '06 cant be considered a miss because he was always gonna play baseball in college.

Robet Rands '05, was a scholly signee for football but track was always gonna be his college ticket after breaking Gale Sayers long stabding record.

Deverell Biggs '10 was always gonna play college baketball since his sophomore year.

Shawn Swan '02 was also gonna play basketball and did at UND. Football wasn't his sport

So thst leaves Schoff, Lampkin, Coleman and Woodhead. Woodhead now is easy to say a miss. Schoff, we'll see but as I have said I think he could have played here. Lampkin and Coleman were good football players, but were better in other sports, Coleman wrestling and Lampkin track. Both were undersized for their projected positions at NU and would have been seen as reaches. In fact Lampkin I believe is transferring to NU to run track.

The thing with this list, is yes a majority of them played football, but as I said earlier, football was one of ther sports and in a lot of cases not the athletes best sport.

• Fire 1

2007 Niles signed

I guess you need to define miss. Because Ian Dike '06 cant be considered a miss because he was always gonna play baseball in college.

Robet Rands '05, was a scholly signee for football but track was always gonna be his college ticket after breaking Gale Sayers long stabding record.

Deverell Biggs '10 was always gonna play college baketball since his sophomore year.

Shawn Swan '02 was also gonna play basketball and did at UND. Football wasn't his sport

So thst leaves Schoff, Lampkin, Coleman and Woodhead. Woodhead now is easy to say a miss. Schoff, we'll see but as I have said I think he could have played here. Lampkin and Coleman were good football players, but were better in other sports, Coleman wrestling and Lampkin track. Both were undersized for their projected positions at NU and would have been seen as reaches. In fact Lampkin I believe is transferring to NU to run track.

The thing with this list, is yes a majority of them played football, but as I said earlier, football was one of ther sports and in a lot of cases not the athletes best sport.

Yes, I probably should have chosen a better word than miss...........(from post 6 you will find I had responded as........I meant missed in the sense that they did not compete here......not in a negative or "blame" sense)

So the point of the post was that percentage wise, things seemed to have changed. And there are multiple reasons for that. I just felt it was a drastic shift and was inviting others to speculate on the "why".

By the way, in your response.........."Robet Rands '05, was a scholly signee for football but track was always gonna be his college ticket after breaking Gale Sayers long stabding record."......I knew Rands was a great long jumper bet failed to appreciate his prowess in breaking Sayers stabbing record.........in fact, was unaware they even kept such records! :rolleyes:

2007 Niles signed

Yes, I probably should have chosen a better word than miss...........(from post 6 you will find I had responded as........I meant missed in the sense that they did not compete here......not in a negative or "blame" sense)

So the point of the post was that percentage wise, things seemed to have changed. And there are multiple reasons for that. I just felt it was a drastic shift and was inviting others to speculate on the "why".

By the way, in your response.........."Robet Rands '05, was a scholly signee for football but track was always gonna be his college ticket after breaking Gale Sayers long stabding record."......I knew Rands was a great long jumper bet failed to appreciate his prowess in breaking Sayers stabbing record.........in fact, was unaware they even kept such records! :rolleyes:

Alcohol is a motha fucka when I try to type. What can I say. All I can further say, is when you take outthe kids, who I have tried to point out ( thru shaddy typing skills) the % goes up a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

also, you cant compare the coaching ability of our staff today, to the staff under Osborne. They just arent in the same category when it comes to player development.

Pretty much the most unfair statement regarding this staff ever, considering the Osborne staff of the 90's had a light years advantage in player development programs, both physically and psychologically. Dont undermine the fact that in 90's and maybe even some in the 80's, Nebraska was so far ahead of the rest of the nation in strength and conditioning as well as player psychology that we were able to take great Nebraska athletes and turn them into dominant players against D1 competition. Pelini doesnt have that advantage, and frankly neither does anyone else in the nation. That is why what Nebraska did in the 90's simply will never happen again. Right now Nebraska is again trying to gain an advantage in player development with some of the things being utilized in the East stadium exp, in order to again make up for some shortcomings in recruiting. But, with how universities around the country have put such emphasis on atheltic programs today as compared to the 80's and 90's when Nebraska was taking giant leaps, I see any advantage to be short lived.