Nebraska Preview 2012: Michigan Perspective

Four years into the Bo Pelini experiment in Lincoln, Nebraska continues to be defined by an overmatched coaching staff and atrocious ball security. The Huskers will disappoint their backers again in 2012. That leaves Michigan and Wisconsin as the clear favorites, and holding either to win its division would be a better move than speculating on the league title at large.

I wonder if the coaches of Ohio State and Michigan State think our coaches are "over-matched?"

:blink:

Four years into the Bo Pelini experiment in Lincoln, Nebraska continues to be defined by an overmatched coaching staff and atrocious ball security. The Huskers will disappoint their backers again in 2012. That leaves Michigan and Wisconsin as the clear favorites, and holding either to win its division would be a better move than speculating on the league title at large.

I wonder if the coaches of Ohio State and Michigan State think our coaches are "over-matched?"

Which Ohio State coaches? The ones that lost to Nebraska last season or Urban Meyer and Co?

Michigan State was definitely overmatched.

Well, the article points out the obvious. Nebraska is clearly very weak up front on both sides of the ball. There isn't anybody in the country with a sane mind that isn't wondering what Martinez is going to bring to the team this year. Lot's of question marks?.....Yep. This coaching staff is a huge question mark. No doubt about it. There's no better time for them to really make a statement, and by them I mean the coaches and this team. We are in prime time games quite a bit this year. Michigan was the first team in my life that I actually shut the TV off and quit watching my Huskers. I even sat through the whole Wisconsin game because at least it looked like we were still trying. Michigan beat us til' we quit shortly after that second half opening fumble. Some of your above comments make it clear how out of touch with reality Husker Nation can be.......the only thing we can do with articles like this, is to hope that our Big Red proves every word of it wrong.

If that QB doesn't get hurt, we lose that Ohio St. game. Get real. Not only that, wasn't it Luke Fickell coaching that team? Didn't he take over after Tressel was ousted for NCAA violations. I mean, Fickell was handed a pretty raw deal to begin with, and they still had our asses beat til' that QB went down. Wake up man. It's hardly a situation worth bragging about. It s darn near shameful that we couldn't dominate them if you look at all the adversity that team was dealing with.

I'm a Husker fan, but that's just dumb to brag about that game. It's like bragging about going into a boxing match, and beating the other fighter after he trips over the ropes, knocks out his training team, and breaks both his arms on his way into the ring. Yay.....!????

I'm a Husker fan, but that's just dumb to brag about that game. It's like bragging about going into a boxing match, and beating the other fighter after he trips over the ropes, knocks out his training team, and breaks both his arms on his way into the ring. Yay.....!????

I agree. As I pointed out in another thread, it's like Texas A&M fans bragging over beating us.

If that QB doesn't get hurt, we lose that Ohio St. game. Get real. Not only that, wasn't it Luke Fickell coaching that team? Didn't he take over after Tressel was ousted for NCAA violations. I mean, Fickell was handed a pretty raw deal to begin with, and they still had our asses beat til' that QB went down. Wake up man. It's hardly a situation worth bragging about. It s darn near shameful that we couldn't dominate them if you look at all the adversity that team was dealing with.

1. Why is it that when a starter from an opposing team gets hurt and Nebraska wins it's still counted as a loss?

But when Nebraska has starters go down and loses, pointing that out is akin to making excuses.

:bang

2. Luke Fickell is at Ohio State as Urban's DC. Not sure how many others, if any, from Fickell's staff were retained.

3. And the point is that to say that Nebraska's coaches were "out-matched" is ludicrous.

in almost every loss over the last 2 years was because of being out-coached. Sorry bud, but you need to take those glasses off. We have a smart staff, they are just young and inexperienced. Nothing wrong with calling like it is. We will be in development mode for a few more years. Too much staff turnover to think we will be a solid title contender for atleast another year or two.

1. Why is it that when a starter from an opposing team gets hurt and Nebraska wins it's still counted as a loss?

But when Nebraska has starters go down and loses, pointing that out is akin to making excuses.

2. Luke Fickell is at Ohio State as Urban's DC. Not sure how many others, if any, from Fickell's staff were retained.

3. And the point is that to say that Nebraska's coaches were "out-matched" is ludicrous.

Welp...one thing to take away from the Ohio St. game is that their offense relies highly on Braxton Miller and his play-making ability. However, I do highly commend Nebraska on turning it up a notch and wearing down Ohio St's defense with our sustained drives. Now, trying to look at it from an Ohio St. perspective...if they lose Braxton to any injury again next year, what will their record be!? hmm....

:thumbs

I don't get it either but endless droves of internet NU fans just love stating how the Buckeye game was a "fluke", or we were just "lucky"...etc, etc.

Two years ago we lost a close BigXII ccg with a totally hobbled qb (bad ankle on one leg & turf toe on the other). And you know what? I don't remember even "one" Sooner whining and sobbing how "Nebraska was the better team!!" or "we just got lucky!!" or so on. Not even one.

It's the new Nebaraska culture I guess. I don't like it at all but there's nothing I can do about it.

in almost every loss over the last 2 years was because of being out-coached. Sorry bud, but you need to take those glasses off. We have a smart staff, they are just young and inexperienced. Nothing wrong with calling like it is. We will be in development mode for a few more years. Too much staff turnover to think we will be a solid title contender for atleast another year or two.

The majority of losses, I agree, but there have been a number that we out-coached our opponents and just had sheer....bad fortune. Our schemes were perfect (in scheme form) against Texas (and to a lesser extent, Oklahoma) in the Big 12 Championship games. Texas Tech in '08 we out-schemed the pants off of Mike Leach, which is saying something. Virginia Tech '09, same thing; we made Beamer Ball look like.....um.....not-very-good..Ball.

Don't forget the games that we've won because of out-coaching our opponents either. It's not fair to our staff to only look at one side of the coin. Clemson, Arizona, Missouri, Missouri again, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, (Penn State question mark) and Iowa are all notable wins in which we beat our opponents fairly, in my opinion.

It seems like Sam McKewon is the only one to bring it up recently - 2011 was our first year in the Big Ten Conference. Bo Pelini spent 3 years working to make Nebraska the best team in the Big 12 Conference, and he was a pair of field goals from consecutive conference championships. He had geared the program towards one thing, and had to completely retool that plan last year after the conference change.

We're going to see a team that is better prepared to compete in the Big Ten this year. Remember those blowout losses Bo had in his first year in the Big 12 in 2008? Missouri 52, Nebraska 17. Oklahoma 62, Nebraska 28.

2009? Nebraska 27, Missouri 12. Nebraska 10, Oklahoma 3.

Our coaches are not overmatched. They just need a little time to adjust.

• Fire 1

Don't forget the games that we've won because of out-coaching our opponents either. It's not fair to our staff to only look at one side of the coin. Clemson, Arizona, Missouri, Missouri again, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, (Penn State question mark) and Iowa are all notable wins in which we beat our opponents fairly, in my opinion.

That's a very good point. Pelini and Company coached circles around Dantonio and Ferentz last season.

I am on the fence about Michigan State, I think they were exhausted, with the schedule they had just finished and then walked into a hornets nest.

I know we won the game, but I wonder if it would not have been a much better game for Michigan State if it wasn't at the end of 5 real tough ones. Hard to get back every weeke for a group of teams like that. We played and coached a great game no question, but I still have uneasy feelings over that game.

Most people I talk to feel we have a young and growing coaching staff, not ready for prime time so to speak, the ability is there, but the experience is not. If we get through this year with a 9 win season I will be very impressed with the staff and will feel we have turned the corner.

I am on the fence about Michigan State, I think they were exhausted, with the schedule they had just finished and then walked into a hornets nest.

I know we won the game, but I wonder if it would not have been a much better game for Michigan State if it wasn't at the end of 5 real tough ones. Hard to get back every weeke for a group of teams like that. We played and coached a great game no question, but I still have uneasy feelings over that game.

Most people I talk to feel we have a young and growing coaching staff, not ready for prime time so to speak, the ability is there, but the experience is not. If we get through this year with a 9 win season I will be very impressed with the staff and will feel we have turned the corner.

I chalk up the Michigan St. win as to NEB having their number...hehehe. Have they even beat the Huskers, ever!? If I'm not mistaken, I don't think they have.