Big Ten vs. Pac-12 - which is the better conference?

• 1 month later...

Yes, really. What has Barkley done that is so remarkable?

Really?

308/446, 3528 yards, 69.1 %, 7.91 ypa, 39 TD, 7 INTs, 8 sacks. In 2011.

This is great that Rex is getting a website, by the way.

I remember when PAC teams played defense...oh, wait.

We cant really talk bad about the Pac-12 considering the Big 10 is a worse conference. Any unbias fan that knows about football would agree that Barkley's stats were amazing, especially since they were BETTER than Peyton Manning's SR year. You also cant go with the conference argument because the pac is a better conference than the big 10.

The Big10 had 6 teams in the top 25 for total defense last year while the Pac10 didn't have 1. The closest team was Stanford at 28.

The Pac10 had 4 teams in the top 25 for total offense while the Big10 had 1 (Wiscy) with northwestern at 28.

To me, the Big10 is a better confrence from top to bottom and the Pac10 is to top heavy and is a media darling. This gives them a perception of being a better confrence.

The PAC-10 and Big Ten, the last ten years, according to Jeff Sagarin:

Year B1G Pac10

2002 5 2

2003 3 4

2004 5 2

2005 1 4

2006 5 3

2007 6 2

2008 6 4

2009 6 3

2010 5 1

2011 3 4

Averages: B1G = 4.5, PAC-10 = 2.9

With a couple of years of variance here and there, the PAC-10 has been better than the Big Ten the past ten years. 2006-2010 were particularly painful when it came to the Big Ten. They fell off the map and needed an infusion of life - which they got with Nebraska. Hopefully the divisional format, combined with adding one of history's best teams, boosts the conference as a whole.

• Fire 1

The Big10 had 6 teams in the top 25 for total defense last year while the Pac10 didn't have 1. The closest team was Stanford at 28.

The Pac10 had 4 teams in the top 25 for total offense while the Big10 had 1 (Wiscy) with northwestern at 28.

To me, the Big10 is a better confrence from top to bottom and the Pac10 is to top heavy and is a media darling. This gives them a perception of being a better confrence.

The pac-12 offenses are better than the big 10 offenses so those stats are pretty skewed. Obviously Big 10 defenses will do better statistically when they are playing against worst offenses, thats just common sense. Pac 12 is faster than the big 10 and what powerhouse teams do the big ten have? Pac-12 has had standford and oregon that were elite and USC is back ont he rise..who did the big 10 have again? You had two good qb's in Foles and Osweiler (who got drafted pretty high, mind you), price and polk, and Robert Woods. Pac 12 has A LOT better offenses than the big 10 so obviously their defenses wont rank as high as defenses who are facing average to good offenses...

what powerhouse teams do the big ten have? Pac-12 has had standford and oregon that were elite and USC is back ont he rise..who did the big 10 have again?

Ohio State

Michigan

Wisconsin

Nebraska

Offhand, I'd say that's four pretty good teams. Penn State has historically been good. As for Stanford, Northwestern has been good about as often as them in the past few years.

The PAC-10 and Big Ten, the last ten years, according to Jeff Sagarin:

Year B1G Pac10

2002 5 2

2003 3 4

2004 5 2

2005 1 4

2006 5 3

2007 6 2

2008 6 4

2009 6 3

2010 5 1

2011 3 4

Averages: B1G = 4.5, PAC-10 = 2.9

With a couple of years of variance here and there, the PAC-10 has been better than the Big Ten the past ten years. 2006-2010 were particularly painful when it came to the Big Ten. They fell off the map and needed an infusion of life - which they got with Nebraska. Hopefully the divisional format, combined with adding one of history's best teams, boosts the conference as a whole.

Yeah, it hasnt been close as of late and thats because the big 10 has been on a downward spiral. Everyone in the nation knows that the Big 10 hasnt been a good conference as of late, even husker fans were talking about how it wasnt a good conference before we came along. Since Nebraska joined the B1G, it seems like some husker fans have been hyping the conference a little too much. Its been the fourth best conference in the past 6 years. Hopefully the B1G gets back on top in a few years. Michigan seems promising, Ohio State will be back, Wisconsin will get over the hump and hopefully Nebraska is back.

Yeah, it hasnt been close as of late and thats because the big 10 has been on a downward spiral. Everyone in the nation knows that the Big 10 hasnt been a good conference as of late, even husker fans were talking about how it wasnt a good conference before we came along. Since Nebraska joined the B1G, it seems like some husker fans have been hyping the conference a little too much. Its been the fourth best conference in the past 6 years. Hopefully the B1G gets back on top in a few years. Michigan seems promising, Ohio State will be back, Wisconsin will get over the hump and hopefully Nebraska is back.

I would agree about these four (see my post directly above yours), but the Pac-10/Pac-12 hasn't been tremendously impressive, either. They're top-heavy with USC and Oregon, but after that the drop-off is pretty severe. Andrew Luck is gone, so we'll see how good they are now. Who else is even close to elite in the Pac-12? At season's end last year they had three ranked teams to the Big Ten's five. Who's going to come up to upper-tier status?

what powerhouse teams do the big ten have? Pac-12 has had standford and oregon that were elite and USC is back ont he rise..who did the big 10 have again?

Ohio State

Michigan

Wisconsin

Nebraska

Offhand, I'd say that's four pretty good teams. Penn State has historically been good. As for Stanford, Northwestern has been good about as often as them in the past few years.

Michigan has one good year and they're back? Remind me what Michigan has been like the past 5 years? Penn State has been average the past 6 years. Wisconsin has been good but they cant seem to win their bowl games or anyone great that they play out of conference. Ohio State has been consistently good so ill give you them. Penn State has had 3 good years out of the last 10 so they havent been consistently good, more up and down. So you have Penn State and Ohio State..Still puts the big 10 behind the SEC, Big XII and the Pac-12 in the past 10 years.

I would agree about these four (see my post directly above yours), but the Pac-10/Pac-12 hasn't been tremendously impressive, either. They're top-heavy with USC and Oregon, but after that the drop-off is pretty severe. Andrew Luck is gone, so we'll see how good they are now. Who else is even close to elite in the Pac-12? At season's end last year they had three ranked teams to the Big Ten's five. Who's going to come up to upper-tier status?

So one good year and michigan is upper tier status? If you put Michigan on upper tier status you might as well put Standford on there too because Standford has done more than michigan in the past few years. I dont know how you can grade wisconsin, in the past 10 years, theyve only beat 4 teams in the top 25 outside of the big 10. Their last win against a ranked OOC opponent was four years ago.

The Pac-12 has... who? USC, Oregon and....? Help me out here, because I'm not seeing that third dominant team. Sure, teams have a tendency to go up and down, and Stanford had an upswing in the past couple of years, but that's hardly permanent.

Michigan didn't have "one good year." They have the most wins all-time in NCAA history. That's not a team just enjoying recent success. Between Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska and Penn State you're looking at four of the top seven teams all-time.

The Pac-12 has... who? USC, Oregon and....? Help me out here, because I'm not seeing that third dominant team. Sure, teams have a tendency to go up and down, and Stanford had an upswing in the past couple of years, but that's hardly permanent.

Michigan didn't have "one good year." They have the most wins all-time in NCAA history. That's not a team just enjoying recent success. Between Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska and Penn State you're looking at four of the top seven teams all-time.

stanford will never be the same without harbaugh. luck was able to prop them up for a year, but they will drop like a rock in the polls this year.

stanford will never be the same without harbaugh. luck was able to prop them up for a year, but they will drop like a rock in the polls this year.

Not to mention that pre-Harbaugh, pre-Luck, they were coming off of seven straight losing seasons, going 25-55 in that stretch. They have neither a Luck nor a Harbaugh in Palo Alto, and they're not likely to get another such combination... ever.

Funny note - Stanford's last trip to the Rose Bowl was in 2000 - where they lost to Wisconsin.

What has Michigan done its past 10 years? Theyve had one good year which was last year. Their records before last year? 7-6. 5-7. 3-9, 9-4(lost to app. st) 11-2, 7-5. So how is michigan CURRENTLY a powerhouse? How is Nebraska CURRENTLY a powerhouse? Sure, both schools may be on the rebound but we arent powerhouse status yet. So how is michigan and Nebraska currently a powerhouse besides the fact they were great a few years back? If you dont go by past history (anything more than 5 years ago) then Nebraska and Michigan would not be considered powerhouses

Not to mention that pre-Harbaugh, pre-Luck, they were coming off of seven straight losing seasons, going 25-55 in that stretch. They have neither a Luck nor a Harbaugh in Palo Alto, and they're not likely to get another such combination... ever.

Funny note - Stanford's last trip to the Rose Bowl was in 2000 - where they lost to Wisconsin.

So you can discredit Standford's recent success but say Michigan is a powerhouse even though Michigan has had a not so good strech? Nebraska's been good but not great. Wisconsin hasnt been great when it comes to ranked opponents outside the big 10. Penn State has had a few good years but also has had a few bad years. Ohio State has been a powerhouse throughout though. Things like these go in cycles. Pac 12 has been a better conference the past 10 years but that will end up changing eventually.