Another Obama energy initiative goes bankrupt

According to the Las Vegas Review Journal:

The Amonix solar manufacturing plant in North Las Vegas, heavily financed under an Obama administration energy initiative, has closed its 214,000-square-foot facility 14 months after it opened.

Officials at Amonix headquarters in Seal Beach, Calif., have not responded to repeated calls for comment this week. The company today began selling equipment, from automated tooling systems to robotic welding cells.

The solar power systems developer and builder received $6 million in federal tax credits and a $15.6 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy to build the plant in North Las Vegas. Hmmm...Senator Harry Reid's state.

According to one of the former managers, "I don't think they had a lot of training," Kenerly said. "There were a lot of quality issues. A lot of stuff was coming back because it had some functionality issues."

Their stuff wouldn't work, so they went broke.

Senator Harry Reid was apparently unavailable for comment.

http://www.lvrj.com/business/amonix-closes-north-las-vegas-solar-plant-after-14-months-heavy-federal-subsidies-162901626.html

i am not sure what your point is. it seems like a free market success story with obama having a noble intent. green energy is a solution to all the jobs we have lost in detroit. it is a burgeoning market that can create jobs here that can not be outsourced, while helping our own infrastructure and increasing energy concerns. it appears it could have been ran better, but obama merely funded it. it is not his place to meddle with free enterprise.

i am not sure what your point is. it seems like a free market success story with obama having a noble intent. green energy is a solution to all the jobs we have lost in detroit. it is a burgeoning market that can create jobs here that can not be outsourced, while helping our own infrastructure and increasing energy concerns. it appears it could have been ran better, but obama merely funded it. it is not his place to meddle with free enterprise.

Did you actually type in "it seems like a free market success story"? If going broke is your definition of a success story, then the Obama administration is really succeeding.

As for my point, I think that giving millions of tax dollars to a company who didn't have a trained workforce is a bad investment. If it's not the President's place to "meddle with free enterprise" then it's not his place to be throwing around millions of dollars to fund them. Solyndra cost us half a billion.

Did you actually type in "it seems like a free market success story"? If going broke is your definition of a success story, then the Obama administration is really succeeding.

As for my point, I think that giving millions of tax dollars to a company who didn't have a trained workforce is a bad investment. If it's not the President's place to "meddle with free enterprise" then it's not his place to be throwing around millions of dollars to fund them. Solyndra cost us half a billion.

at some point will you ever post something football related?

I guess in theory green energy might be viable employment replacement for kobs lost in Detroit and elsewhere but, could you please provide some proof of that being anywhere near a reality. The real facts would indicate that green energy industries are not yet viable even when massively supported by government handouts. It is simply a huge fraud perpetrated on us taxpayers. Where are the success stories? And no, another bankrupted government funded company is not a success story.

Did you even think about this statement before you typed it. That is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say about it. How many examples do you want?

at some point will you ever post something football related?

Yeah...in 45 days.

I guess in theory green energy might be viable employment replacement for kobs lost in Detroit and elsewhere but, could you please provide some proof of that being anywhere near a reality. The real facts would indicate that green energy industries are not yet viable even when massively supported by government handouts. It is simply a huge fraud perpetrated on us taxpayers. Where are the success stories? And no, another bankrupted government funded company is not a success story.

how else do we replace jobs and how does any industry begin without government aid? at least this is an attempt to benefit this country. also, it has to be the future because fossil fuels will run out. the real fraud perpetuated on the taxpayers are subsidies to oil companies making record profits, that is where the uproar should be.

Did you even think about this statement before you typed it. That is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say about it. How many examples do you want?

i know it does not translate as well in a textual context, but that was dripping with sarcasm.

again, sarcasm. i do not really know a lot about this, so i am going to try to avoid a debate. however, it is hard for me not to point out how obama (and all of us) saved the auto-industry with a bailout.

also, in a recession, the government would be well served paying people just to dig holes and fill them. the problem with joblessness is that it compounds. consumers are the true job-creators, so any attempt to create jobs is a step in the right directions and infinitely better than tax cuts to those already with a lot of money to scared to spend any of it in a precarious economic environment.

China has a major competitive advantage, many would argue an unfair one because their government is providing heavily subsidized loans, land for factories, and research for solar. If our government does nothing the results are absolutely predicable, China will monopolize solar and we'll be left out of an industry that has been growing at an astronomical rate. That's not a defense for cronyism or incompetence, but a couple bad apples shouldn't cause us to completely lose sight. Please do some research on why America can't build an iPhone...it's less about labor cost than most people think. The entire supply chain and human capital for manufacturing consumer electronics is in southeast Asia. I hope 20 years down the road we're not wondering why America can't build a solar panel because of such shortsightedness.

• Fire 2

China has a major competitive advantage, many would argue an unfair one because their government is providing heavily subsidized loans, land for factories, and research for solar. If our government does nothing the results are absolutely predicable, China will monopolize solar and we'll be left out of an industry that has been growing at an astronomical rate. That's not a defense for cronyism or incompetence, but a couple bad apples shouldn't cause us to completely lose sight. Please do some research on why America can't build an iPhone...it's less about labor cost than most people think. The entire supply chain and human capital for manufacturing consumer electronics is in southeast Asia. I hope 20 years down the road we're not wondering why America can't build a solar panel because of such shortsightedness.

exactly, we could be the leaders in exporting green technology, as well as overhauling our own infrastructure. then, those jobs could not be outsourced. if the president and congress was truly progressive and had any foresight, they would reallocate welfare funds to job-training stipends. that way, people would be on welfare/unemployment for shorter periods of time, get good jobs, and become taxpayers and consumers. it would pay for itself, soften the recession, and be cheaper than just providing welfare.

If you want a good explanation of "solar power", read "Physics for Future Presidents".

There's roughly a gigawatt in a one square kilometer of sunlight, but the whole thing is, I think before they can go crazy with the whole "solar energy/going green", they need to make the way we gather solar energy, much more efficient.

If you want a good explanation of "solar power", read "Physics for Future Presidents".

There's roughly a gigawatt in a one square kilometer of sunlight, but the whole thing is, I think before they can go crazy with the whole "solar energy/going green", they need to make the way we gather solar energy, much more efficient.

so it is a battery issue, which seems to be improving in leaps and bounds.

so it is a battery issue, which seems to be improving in leaps and bounds.

But from what I gather solar cells are only 15% to 20% effiicient...