asst. coaches

peterbilt

do all the asst. coaches come back next year? I hope we get rid of elmassion, the db's have underacheived imo. Especially last year when we had j. bullocks and fabian washington, and ended up at the bottom of the big 12 in pass defense. Randy jordan might also be a possibility, ross had a worse year then last and lucky has not progressed much this year, i think. Wagner also may be in trouble, but i do not think it is entirely all his fault that the o-line play has been poor this year, we just don't have the talent and depth there right now, and I was suprised at how well the two frosh tackles played vs ksu.

Phil may be on the hot seat, but Randy and Wagner no.  Wagner is a pretty good coach.  I think its just lack of talent on OL.  Randy has a good history with BC and I don't see him going anywhere soon.  I think if there will be a shake up if any it will be the DB coach.

:yeah Phil's situation (so many different places in so many years) has IMO made him questionable coach. If he is a great coach, why were none of those other places able to hold onto him? Unless he was not that good and they did not want to.

do all the asst. coaches come back next year?

IMO, you'll see all the coaches back next year. Going to a bowl preserves their jobs and beating CU will ice that cake. :horns2

GO CALLY!! :worship

FOUR MORE YEARS!!

:bounce:bounce

Why is everyone saying making a bowl is all great and wonderful? Big deal to me. We didn't have to worry about a bowl before callahan. Now it's some great feat to make a bowl. So next year is it great if we win 7 games instead of 6?

i agree, times have changed, parity is EVEN MORE evident this year in college football........as long as we can continue to improve......remember it took TO quite a few years (but cally and co. definitely need to get better next year).....we should be encouraged, not necessarily happy with that....i am still not convinced just yet, but i am trying to stay positive and take what we can get from this season, hoping the coaching and talent will get better next year.......

hunter

We may see a change or two on the staff. Remember when Gary Barnett got so pissed off two years ago when Callahan was hired because BC called ESPN recruiting guru Tom Lemming? That phone call wasn't to see which prospects he could snag, it was to see who some of the top recruiting coaches were in the nation, and he didn't have much time to get his staff together so he went after great recruiters first. Elmassian, Busch, Wagner and Blake were surely a couple of recommendations he got from Lemming. Not sure any of these guys will leave, but their coaching skills weren't the first thing looked at on their resume's.

Why is everyone saying making a bowl is all great and wonderful? Big deal to me.  We didn't have to worry about a bowl before callahan.  Now it's some great feat to make a bowl.  So next year is it great if we win 7 games instead of 6?

Benard, I'd like to drag you behind the woodshed...and it would only take once.

But for the sake of explaining Nebraska's current situation, I'll make it as ELEMENTARY as possible for you.

If you haven't noticed there has been a MAJOR coaching change with Nebraska. This has stemmed from decisions that were made way above any of our heads.

For years Husker fans have been spoiled by a system that developed continuity through a coaching staff that remained loyal to each other for over a quarter century. And with this came 9-win seasons followed by a bowl game.

Many of us can still recall the frustration of not being able to beat OU. Many times groups would call out for Tom Osborne's departure because of this.

Then there was the span of not being able to win the "big one."

But then it happened. In the mid to late 90's Nebraska prevailed in a big way on many occasions

It took 25 years for Tom Osborne to make it happen, but several people don't even want to give Bill Callahan the length of his contract to produce a "winning season." And by this I would say it is fair to call a 9-win season, winning. We accepted this from Coach Osborne.

This is the first year these kids have played together as a team. This is the first year these coaches have been able to put these kids together on the field and place them in the positions they feel best to produce a win.

Take in consideration that Nebraska has lost some key players due to season ending injuries, I feel they faired well.

So although the bowl game is no big deal to you, it is a big deal to 99 guys that wear scarlet and cream, play with heart and dedication to a long standing tradition of Husker Excellence on the field.

It's just too bad that people that are ungrateful for their sacrifices on the field aren't allowed to put the pads on and take a down in their shoes.

do all the asst. coaches come back next year?

IMO, you'll see all the coaches back next year. Going to a bowl preserves their jobs and beating CU will ice that cake. :horns2

GO CALLY!! :worship

FOUR MORE YEARS!!

:bounce:bounce

Why is everyone saying making a bowl is all great and wonderful? Big deal to me. We didn't have to worry about a bowl before callahan. Now it's some great feat to make a bowl. So next year is it great if we win 7 games instead of 6?

I don't think all are considering it a great accomplishment, but more so a relief. With the way things have gone this season, it is just a relief that they actually made it to be bowl eligible.

Why is everyone saying making a bowl is all great and wonderful?

So next year is it great if we win 7 games instead of 6?

making a bowl is all great and wonderful?

Yes, compared to last year! That is the definition of improvement, doing better. :thumbs

So next year is it great if we win 7 games instead of 6?

Not so fast my friend!! This season isn't over yet. There are two more games, the huskers could end up 7-4 or 8-4!!

Next year could require 9 or more wins to be great!

In the meantime, BEAT CU!! dedhoarse

Phil may be on the hot seat, but Randy and Wagner no.  Wagner is a pretty good coach.  I think its just lack of talent on OL.  Randy has a good history with BC and I don't see him going anywhere soon.  I think if there will be a shake up if any it will be the DB coach.

:yeah Phil's situation (so many different places in so many years) has IMO made him questionable coach. If he is a great coach, why were none of those other places able to hold onto him? Unless he was not that good and they did not want to.

DB coaches are quite expendable. SOmething like a dime a dozen.

I will say Wagner will be ok for at least 1 more year. I have seen this coach when he was at Wayne State. His players re-wrote the record books, and when he was at Fresno State...his offensive line blocked for David Carr, who is in the NFL (I know for the Texans.) Between those 2 programs, I know of 2-3 players who have made the NFL...one has even one a Super Bowl with Denver (Byron Chaimberlin.) He can develope talent...but why I say 1 more year because we are a power house for O-Lineman, and if they continue to go backwards, next year may be his last.