I've noticed quite a few athletes in the Olympics with what appears to be strips of tape. Did a little research and it looks to be KT Tape (Kinesiology Therapeutic Tape). Has anyone tried this stuff or uses it now? I routinely strain my lower calf when running to the point it hurts to run. I'm wondering if wearing this tape will minimize the pain.

http://www.kttape.com/

I have friends that are certified users of KT tape and another brand called Rocktape. I have never had it taped on me before, but the people who I've spoken to say that it helps a lot. Doing some research on it, I'm not sure if it's actually effective, or the placebo effect, which has been proven very effective. I'm finding all kinds of research that contradict each other, so I'm not sure what to conclude about it.

If it works for you, go for it. It never hurts to try it out. I know that it's water resistant and can contact skin directly, unlike traditional athletic tape, so you can wear it for days, rather than having to take it off after an activity.

I don't think the science is in on this stuff yet, but lots of athletes use it. Some Husker volleyball players have used it, I know. They seem to think it helps.

Are you the trainer, or is your spy cam HD?

I kid, I kid.

When I coached MS softball, I would give them **magical salt pills**, and they would buy into it and do better in hot weather than the other team.

Never thought my first post would be here ...

KT Tape generally works pretty well (Usually about $12-$13 at reputable sporting goods stores) ... based on the training I was given when my former employer started carrying the product (and if my increasingly bad memory is still accurate), I believe it works mainly by raising the skin above the affected area of your body. This helps relieve pain from inflammation at the affected areas of your body. Plus, it helps reduce pressure on the pain. I've used it when bursitis kicked in on my right shoulder and I thought it helped. I know it can be found at Hibbett Sports in a variety of colors.

I've used it a couple times trying to get a calf strain through a marathon. First time I taped it myself and maybe didn't get it right, and 50 yards in it pulled again, but between that and an ace wrap I limped through it. A month later I had a therapist do it and got through the marathon ok. So I think you really need to learn how to tape it properly. Or maybe it does very little.

Another thing for those of you with tight calves to try is to sleep wearing a Strassburg sock. I tore my ACL this year and all the inactivity and keeping my foot up shortened the calf muscles on that leg, which is the one I'd had calf problems with before. Now that I'm back running again it was hurting really badly. I got one of those socks, and it keeps the calf somewhat stretched at night, and the pain was gone the next day. I've only been using it for a few days so I'm not sure it'll keep the calf strains away. I've had lots of them and I know they can come without much warning, but for sure I was in danger with the shortened muscle. I think I'd try that first. Just think about how your calves are with the toes down vs up. The sock is more comfortable than a boot that some have to wear for calf problems or plantar fasciitas.

Never thought my first post would be here ...

KT Tape generally works pretty well (Usually about $12-$13 at reputable sporting goods stores) ... based on the training I was given when my former employer started carrying the product (and if my increasingly bad memory is still accurate), I believe it works mainly by raising the skin above the affected area of your body. This helps relieve pain from inflammation at the affected areas of your body. Plus, it helps reduce pressure on the pain. I've used it when bursitis kicked in on my right shoulder and I thought it helped. I know it can be found at Hibbett Sports in a variety of colors.

B******?

I know they (KT) used to give the stuff away at marathons...now it's worn by a ton of elite athletes in all sports. I know they have some basic instructions in the box, but they also have a website with videos showing people how to use it.

Also, not sure what "B******" is, but .. meh. Some people actually like to use a color that matches their school colors on occasion.

KT Tape can be used a variety of ways. I actually plan on becoming certified down the road here considering I practice physical therapy. Here are some of the benefits:

-Can help to position joints in an optimal position (biomechanical reasons)

-Can inhbit a muscle (in cases of chronic ailments such as tendonitis)

-Can help to activate a muscle (if the muscle isn't firing optimally due to a variety of reasons)

-Can help to alleviate inflammation in the target area due to it's abilities of "lifting the skin or epidermis" so to speak.

-In addition, it can help to alleviate issues with lymphedema by once again "lifting the skin" to allow lymph to properly drain

-It also can be used as a means of biofeedback, ie to help maintain an upright posture, you would place the tape in certain positions on the back.

There are some other reasons I can't think of off the top of my head, but the application is all in theory. I have applied this tape to a PT who was having patellafemoral pain in her right knee and it displayed some success in regards to decreasing her pain. KT Tape is mainly utilized to manage pain and isn't a "cure." Many athletes utilize this tape as a means to play with less pain which in turn helps them perform at a more optimal level if they had not utilized the tape in the first place. I just wanted to throw some info. out there for ya guys.