The AWOL Romney Tax Returns - what's the holdup?

Sorry, but that bolded statement is a load of crap. Not trying to be mean but this is something I am passionate about.

I have studied nutrition a lot. I have been that person who has been extremely unhealthy and since the beginning of the year I have lost over 55 lbs and am in better shape now than I was in my 20s. (45 years old now)

I would argue with ANYONE that claims eating healthy is more expensive. Processed and prepared foods in boxes or cans are flat out more expensive than if you make meals from fresh products. I save a HUGE amount of money in food compared to what I used to eat. And, it isn't just different foods, it is the QUANTITY of food I used to eat.

Heck, even when I go out to eat at a restaurant, I can find equal or cheaper HEALTHY products on the menu then what I used to eat.

Sorry, that one doesn't cut it.

so you used to eat a lot of unhealthy food, now you eat less healthy food. would the difference in quantity not help offset the costs? but the fact of the matter is, dollar for dollar, the best value for calories is unhealthy food.

That is a really weird way of looking at it. Calories per dollar.

There is a lot more to nutrition than that. Americans don't need to eat on average what the adult American eats as far as quantity. Also, some meals I eat just as much as I did before. For instance, instead of a huge Ribeye steak on the grill with a baked potato with butter and sour cream,. I'll have a smaller rib eye with a side salad with low or non fat dressing and as many veggies as I can possilby eat and water to drink. So, I'm not giving up a lot of volume. I'm still full. I don't get hungry an hour later. BUT, I ate smarter. AND, it was cheaper.

I also eat a lot more fish than I did before. So, instead of a fattier piece of meat I will have fish. I might even eat two filets with the veggies as described above.

I just ate lunch at Old Chicago. Since I was involved in this conversation I was sitting there looking at the menu and thinking about what I may have ordered before. I would have maybe ordered a Chicago style pizza with possibly garlic bread.

Instead, I have a grilled chicken sandwhich with a side salad. Instead of cheese, I had avacado on the sandwhich. I still get the same creamy taste and texture but it's much better for you. Less expensive than what I would have had and I'm perfectly happy and full.

Sorry, but that bolded statement is a load of crap. Not trying to be mean but this is something I am passionate about.

I have studied nutrition a lot. I have been that person who has been extremely unhealthy and since the beginning of the year I have lost over 55 lbs and am in better shape now than I was in my 20s. (45 years old now)

I would argue with ANYONE that claims eating healthy is more expensive. Processed and prepared foods in boxes or cans are flat out more expensive than if you make meals from fresh products. I save a HUGE amount of money in food compared to what I used to eat. And, it isn't just different foods, it is the QUANTITY of food I used to eat.

Heck, even when I go out to eat at a restaurant, I can find equal or cheaper HEALTHY products on the menu then what I used to eat.

Sorry, that one doesn't cut it.

so you used to eat a lot of unhealthy food, now you eat less healthy food. would the difference in quantity not help offset the costs? but the fact of the matter is, dollar for dollar, the best value for calories is unhealthy food.

That is a really weird way of looking at it. Calories per dollar.

There is a lot more to nutrition than that. Americans don't need to eat on average what the adult American eats as far as quantity. Also, some meals I eat just as much as I did before. For instance, instead of a huge Ribeye steak on the grill with a baked potato with butter and sour cream,. I'll have a smaller rib eye with a side salad with low or non fat dressing and as many veggies as I can possilby eat and water to drink. So, I'm not giving up a lot of volume. I'm still full. I don't get hungry an hour later. BUT, I ate smarter. AND, it was cheaper. you are making an extremely idiosyncratic argument.

I also eat a lot more fish than I did before. So, instead of a fattier piece of meat I will have fish. I might even eat two filets with the veggies as described above.

I just ate lunch at Old Chicago. Since I was involved in this conversation I was sitting there looking at the menu and thinking about what I may have ordered before. I would have maybe ordered a Chicago style pizza with possibly garlic bread.

Instead, I have a grilled chicken sandwhich with a side salad. Instead of cheese, I had avacado on the sandwhich. I still get the same creamy taste and texture but it's much better for you. Less expensive than what I would have had and I'm perfectly happy and full.

i am happy for you and agree with your sentiment for the average american. but if you are poor, the choice is not "instead of a huge Ribeye steak on the grill with a baked potato with butter and sour cream,. I'll have a smaller rib eye with a side salad with low or non fat dressing and as many veggies as I can possilby eat and water to drink", it is between nothing or mcdonald's or food from a convenience store. calories per dollar is how some people have to look at it.

'sd'sker' wrote: i am happy for you and agree with your sentiment for the average american. but if you are poor, the choice is not "instead of a huge Ribeye steak on the grill with a baked potato with butter and sour cream,. I'll have a smaller rib eye with a side salad with low or non fat dressing and as many veggies as I can possilby eat and water to drink", it is between nothing or mcdonald's or food from a convenience store. calories per dollar is how some people have to look at it.

Sorry if this is disrespectful but that is total BS. OK...take the steak out of it. Instead of box of hamberger helper, I'll grill a chicken breast. Instead of a box of mac and cheese, I steam some frozen broccoli. Instead of the Big Mac at McDonalds, how about the grilled chicken sandwich or a salad?

Saying eating healthy is too expensive is a cop out plain and simple. How about instead of a bag of potato chips you have an apple or an orange?

Also, I'm not just talking about poor people. I'm talking about the general public. I have actually had friends act pissed off that I lost weight. Does that make sense? These are people that for the most part could eat how ever they want so your "too expensive to eat healthy" argument doesn't count even if it were valid. I was with a couple on Saturday night and the wife flat out told me I've lost too much weight and I need to gain some back. When I said..."Sorry, I feel great and I want to stay where I'm at. The husband said..."I like eating and I'm going to stay where I'm at." This is a guy who is very over weight and a diabetic to boot.

'sd'sker' wrote: i am happy for you and agree with your sentiment for the average american. but if you are poor, the choice is not "instead of a huge Ribeye steak on the grill with a baked potato with butter and sour cream,. I'll have a smaller rib eye with a side salad with low or non fat dressing and as many veggies as I can possilby eat and water to drink", it is between nothing or mcdonald's or food from a convenience store. calories per dollar is how some people have to look at it.

Sorry if this is disrespectful but that is total BS. OK...take the steak out of it. Instead of box of hamberger helper, I'll grill a chicken breast. Instead of a box of mac and cheese, I steam some frozen broccoli. Instead of the Big Mac at McDonalds, how about the grilled chicken sandwich or a salad?

Saying eating healthy is too expensive is a cop out plain and simple. How about instead of a bag of potato chips you have an apple or an orange?

Also, I'm not just talking about poor people. I'm talking about the general public. I have actually had friends act pissed off that I lost weight. Does that make sense? These are people that for the most part could eat how ever they want so your "too expensive to eat healthy" argument doesn't count even if it were valid. I was with a couple on Saturday night and the wife flat out told me I've lost too much weight and I need to gain some back. When I said..."Sorry, I feel great and I want to stay where I'm at. The husband said..."I like eating and I'm going to stay where I'm at." This is a guy who is very over weight and a diabetic to boot.

i can tell this is extremely personal to you, but you are only talking about the general public. there are single parents out there who do not have the time or money to buy and prepare fresh foods. it really does not take that much imagination to believe.

side note: i saw in another thread you bake your own bread. that is pretty cool. something i should start doing has store bought bread is essentially just glue and maybe i would waste less of it if i was making it myself.

Here's something I hadn't ever thought about until my mother pointed it out. Americans think they need to eat EVERYWHERE. Honestly, every event they go to they think there needs to be food. How often have you been to an event where everyone thinks they need to stop by and get nachos, pop corn and a large pop? If you step back and watch it, it really is gross. Are they eating because they are hungry? No, they are eating because they are conditioned that when they go to a highschool basketball game before they find their seat they need to stop by the concession stand. Just don't do it and you save money and you are healthier.

Here's something I hadn't ever thought about until my mother pointed it out. Americans think they need to eat EVERYWHERE. Honestly, every event they go to they think there needs to be food. How often have you been to an event where everyone thinks they need to stop by and get nachos, pop corn and a large pop? If you step back and watch it, it really is gross. Are they eating because they are hungry? No, they are eating because they are conditioned that when they go to a highschool basketball game before they find their seat they need to stop by the concession stand. Just don't do it and you save money and you are healthier.

i agree with everything you are saying and think this is an extremely important issue. i mean, why do we buy cheap food? we put food in our bodies, should it not be of the best quality? and you are inspiring. but i am talking about the poor, and frankly i do not know how this conversation even got started. but it should be of no surprise the direct correlation between impoverished counties and higher rates of obesity.

I've been following you guy's discussion and I some how agree with both of you! But sd is right some people simply don't have, or take the time, to prepare food and that is their biggest mistake. I think the more important thing is education about eating. If people were actually taught in school extensively about proper eating, like actually listening to when your body is really hungry and you're not just bored, and only eating enough to feed your hunger and maintain rather than stuffing your face, we could probably cut significantly into this nation's obesity problem. Education has been my biggest friend and the reason why I've lost 17lbs of fat this year. But I was also motivated because I remembered what it felt like to be quicker, stronger, and feel better about myself and I was also sick of being a pudge.

I've been following you guy's discussion and I some how agree with both of you! But sd is right some people simply don't have, or take the time, to prepare food and that is their biggest mistake. I think the more important thing is education about eating. If people were actually taught in school extensively about proper eating, like actually listening to when your body is really hungry and you're not just bored, and only eating enough to feed your hunger and maintain rather than stuffing your face, we could probably cut significantly into this nation's obesity problem. Education has been my biggest friend and the reason why I've lost 17lbs of fat this year. But I was also motivated because I remembered what it felt like to be quicker, stronger, and feel better about myself and I was also sick of being a pudge.

yeah, i do not think we are that far apart. i guess i am just complaining about the readily-available, cheap garbage people can shove down their gullets. bigredbuster is right, there should be no excuses to healthy eating, but it just is not that simple for a lot of people.

Relationship Between Poverty and Overweight or Obesity

Based on a large national study, body mass index (or BMI, an indicator of excess body fat) was higher every year between 1986 and 2002 among adults in the lowest income group and the lowest education group than among those in the highest income and education groups, respectively (Truong & Sturm, 2005).

Researcher Links Rising Tide Of Obesity To Food Prices

Tackling Obesity Amid Poverty In A Mississippi County

Obesity Rates, by State (an interactive map)

My biggest revaluation was after about 4 or 5 months of changing my diet to zero fast food. I had mcdonald's fries and thought they were disgusting, ate runza and they weren't much better. I reaffirmed that the only reason I used to like them is because they are salty fatty carbs just like any kind of junk food. Another big reason reason people eat crap is because they think salty fatty and sugary stuff taste good, when in reality they are missing out on the complexity of taste fresher foods offer. Fast food/Junk Food is one of those things you really don't miss once it's gone, I occasionally eat some but it's never as satisfying as a whole meal and it makes me feel like crap.

My biggest revaluation was after about 4 or 5 months of changing my diet to zero fast food. I had mcdonald's fries and thought they were disgusting, ate runza and they weren't much better. I reaffirmed that the only reason I used to like them is because they are salty fatty carbs just like any kind of junk food. Another big reason reason people eat crap is because they think salty fatty and sugary stuff taste good, when in reality they are missing out on the complexity of taste fresher foods offer. Fast food/Junk Food is one of those things you really don't miss once it's gone, I occasionally eat some but it's never as satisfying as a whole meal and it makes me feel like crap.

it is definitely an acquired taste, either way. i read about a guy who grew up poor, as did his kids, and he has recently turned his life around and has disposable cash. however, his kids still refuse to eat fresh green beans and prefer canned because that is just what they are used to. fresh green beans is a totally different food when compared to their canned version.