The AWOL Romney Tax Returns - what's the holdup?

hmmmmm....

The tax return issue also made an appearance in Romney's first political campaign, his 1994 Senate run against Ted Kennedy.

In that race, Romney assumed the role of transparency advocate.

"It's time the biggest-taxing senator in Washington shows the people of Massachusetts how much he pays in taxes," Romney said in April of 1994, according to a report in the Boston Globe.

Romney said he would release his own tax returns if Kennedy did, but the Senator refused - and so Romney did as well.

http://politicaltick...past-campaigns/

• 2 weeks later...

I really can't see how knowing a candidate's effective annual tax rate would be of any use in determining the worth of their policies or their suitability for the office as president. Whether it's too much to ask is not the point; there's no good reason to ask.

The whole issue is a distraction by the Obama campaign in an attempt to hurt Romney's chances. Not that I have any sympathy for Romney. He could have put the whole issue to bed, and he didn't. If anything, his public comments on it have only helped the Obama campaign achieve their intended goal. What an idiot.

But at the end of the day the whole issue is about a 1, maybe a 2 on my give-a-sh#t-o-meter.

I really can't see how knowing a candidate's effective annual tax rate would be of any use in determining the worth of their policies or their suitability for the office as president. Whether it's too much to ask is not the point; there's no good reason to ask.

If we're just talking annual rate . . . I agree. But here's the thing . . . the tax returns contain a lot more information than just the annual rate. I, for one, would like to see who has put money in Mitt Romney's pockets. (The same goes for Barack Obama.) It's good to know which people and/or companies are owed favors.

Let's say some hackers have gotten ahold of those returns. I will be furious if they disclose them. Those tax returns are for Mitt Romney to release and nobody else. Whatever they say, even if they hide Mitt's past as a Cuban drug mule or an international hit man for hire, I don't want to know from some ganky anonymous source. They can take those tax returns and stick them up their wazoo.

Romney needs to release them and be done with it.

• 1 month later...