The AWOL Romney Tax Returns - what's the holdup?

Worst thing I do, and I know I shouldn't but I just love it, is I drink a bottle of wine at one go. I'll crack it open at 5:30 when I get home, and from then through cooking dinner to eating to about 10pm when I'm wrapping up the evening, I'll finish the whole bottle. You talk about empty calories, THOSE are empty calories. But they are tasty, tasty empty calories. It'll be a huge willpower struggle if I have to give up my wine.

how do you afford a bottle of wine a night? do not tell me it is md 20/20?

Worst thing I do, and I know I shouldn't but I just love it, is I drink a bottle of wine at one go. I'll crack it open at 5:30 when I get home, and from then through cooking dinner to eating to about 10pm when I'm wrapping up the evening, I'll finish the whole bottle. You talk about empty calories, THOSE are empty calories. But they are tasty, tasty empty calories. It'll be a huge willpower struggle if I have to give up my wine.

He's one of the 1%

He's one of the 1%

obviously.

It's not every night. Maybe twice, at the most three times a week. I get my wine from Trader Joe's, and I truly like their two-buck Chuck (which costs $3, but whatever). On occasion I'll splurge and buy something around $5, and once in a while something between $12 and $15, but for the most part it's the $3 Robert Shaw "two-buck chuck" wine.

It's not every night. Maybe twice, at the most three times a week. I get my wine from Trader Joe's, and I truly like their two-buck Chuck (which costs $3, but whatever). On occasion I'll splurge and buy something around $5, and once in a while something between $12 and $15, but for the most part it's the $3 Robert Shaw "two-buck chuck" wine.

i see. i am no wine connoisseur, but as far as i can tell, the $5-12 bottles of wine are no worse than the $12+ bottles of wine.

I started off thinking I had to spend lots of money to get "good" wine. In the first few years of drinking wine I bought bottles between $20 and $30 routinely and upwards of $50 on occasion. They were good, and I have no complaints about them. But they weren't $20 and $40 better than the $10 bottle I could buy at the local grocery store - at least not to me.

That last part is the key. You shouldn't drink wine to impress anyone, or because of the label. You should drink wine because you like how it tastes. If you truly like MD 20/20, then you're in good shape because your wine of choice is really cheap. I truly like two-buck chuck, and I truly like the other wines I buy. I just stopped caring what the label says several years ago.

In general, when I'm not buying Trader Joe's el-cheapo stuff, I buy from vintners I know and have trusted over the years. Guys like Kendall Jackson, Clos du Bois, Benziger, some Berringer (they used to be better than they are today)... there's a few I like, whose wines I trust will be good. I try a lot more wines now than I used to, and I find some that are really horrid, but a few that I really like.

At Trader Joe's, there's a line called Epicuro that I really like - there's something with a blue label that goes smashingly well with spaghetti and meatballs (something I make very well) and lasagna, or ravioli. TJ's also sells a chianti in a larger bottle with a wicker bottom that I like to get for large groups. It's pretty basic, easily accessible to the wine novice, and pairs well with pestos and appetizers that I typically serve guests. TJ's also sells a Grifone that I believe is a chianti (I should know but I don't), which I also like quite a bit. A nice robust red with your steak is just fantastic - one of the greatest things in life.

But I drink more whites these days, honestly. Mostly I drink Sauvignon Blanc and sometimes Pinot Grigio. I like crisp, dry whites with cheese and bread, or even with some red sauces (white wine in red sauce is fantastic).

It's all about what turns you on. If you don't like it, don't drink it no matter what the label says or how much it costs. If you like it, drink it, again no matter the cost or name. It's all about you, your taste buds, and whatever makes you happy. If you're drinking wine to impress someone, or because it looks good, you're really missing out on what makes wine so pleasurable.

I highly recommend a winery tour, especially if you can find a joint that ages their wines in barrels in a cellar. I hated wine until I went on a day trip through Sonoma. The smell of the grapes in the barreling rooms was so fulfilling that I became a wine drinker that very day. It's one of my favorite things in life right now.

that is really cool. it is generally better not to have any pretenses going in as prices and reputation tend to cloud your judgment and affect your perception. there are many studies on this. the same wines scoring differently in taste tests because one was said to cost more. chivas regal (a scotch i enjoy) was relatively cheap, but to create demand they simply raised the price and it worked. so on and so forth with these anecdotes.

This thread has taken so many turns, who would have guess it would have ended up talking about wine!

I know I'm young but right now I can't drink a red wine to save my life, everyone I've ever had was like rotten vinegar to me and ironically I like vinegar as a flavor enhancer. I'm ok with white wines and champagne as long as they aren't too dry, but I haven't had a red whine that was even palatable. The closest I've come to being able to tolerate a red was drinking korbel brute rose champagne and that was borderline. Maybe it's an acquired taste that will come to me someday like tomatoes, rum, and beer. If I was ever feeling adventurous have any suggestions Knap? My girl has no problem with them so she can always finish it off if I don't like it.

i want to like wine, but i do not. especially red. every once in awhile i will try to have a glass with dinner (for special occasions), but usually my wife will finish it and i will grab a beer, make a cocktail, or poor a scotch.

let us be honest here, chocolate milk is the best beverage, hands down.

^ (I don't like wine either. Or beer)

The only alcohol I'll drink plain is scotch, and that's just to prove I can.

I enjoy beer and love trying new kinds, but it's one of those things that when I sit down and think about it there's really no reason why I should like it.

i want to like wine, but i do not. especially red. every once in awhile i will try to have a glass with dinner (for special occasions), but usually my wife will finish it and i will grab a beer, make a cocktail, or poor a scotch.

let us be honest here, chocolate milk is the best beverage, hands down.

+1 Can't argue with that!

I always assumed that "real" wine drinkers drink red wine. Red wine is what you see in glasses on TV/the movies whenever anyone is drinking wine, ever notice that? Kinda like every computer in the movies is an Apple?

I started out drinking reds. The drier the better, so dry you needed a drink after drinking it. Not sure why I changed over to whites, but a friend who is a self-professed "wine snob" says that whites have more of a flavor profile, and most long-term drinkers move to whites. Not sure if that's true, but lately I can only drink a very few reds, and that's only with some food pairing. If I'm just sipping wine, it's white.

I always assumed that "real" wine drinkers drink red wine. Red wine is what you see in glasses on TV/the movies whenever anyone is drinking wine, ever notice that? Kinda like every computer in the movies is an Apple?

I started out drinking reds. The drier the better, so dry you needed a drink after drinking it. Not sure why I changed over to whites, but a friend who is a self-professed "wine snob" says that whites have more of a flavor profile, and most long-term drinkers move to whites. Not sure if that's true, but lately I can only drink a very few reds, and that's only with some food pairing. If I'm just sipping wine, it's white.

I good glass of Merlot with a thick Rib Eye steak just can't be beat. However, I tend to match wines with what I'm eating.