Bike trails in Lincoln, for a specific purpose

Enhance

This year is the last year I will be attending UNL, and in order to save some cash, I moved off campus to an apartment complex on 1st and Superior called the Highland View. To save even more cash, I bought a nice and relatively cheap bike this summer. My original intent in purchasing this bike was to save money on gas and wear/tear on my vehicle, but after moving in this last week, I've realized that I don't know whether there's a simple way to get to campus from where I'm at. I could stick to city streets, but they're pretty clunky and people don't pay the best attention to cyclists. It would also take me longer to get to campus going up to 14th and cutting south then a trail possibly might.

I'm looking for a trail that runs by 1st and Superior and heads towards campus. There's a frolf course/park next to my apartment, and there's a trail that runs through it, however I'm not sure exactly where this trail goes because I lose sight of it from Cornhusker Highway. I probably won't have time to bike it before semester starts next Monday, so I'm hoping some of you on here can give me some tips or insight.

My degree requires I look presentable i.e. full business attire on certain days, so biking won't always be an option, but it sure would be nice to have a clean-cut path to campus that doesn't involve going up to 14th and taking that all the way to campus.

The fact is there isn't a great way to get to campus from your location.

The trail through Max E. Roper park (the frolf course) would take you to 6th & Nelson, one block north of Adams next to the 180 overpass. You could take that across 180, then take your next right on 9th and take that down to the Runza/Save Mart parking lot, which gets you to 11th & Cornhusker. From there you could ride down to campus, but that's surface streets, and 11th isn't particularly bike-friendly. There is a sidewalk from 11th & Cornhusker all the way down, but it's narrow, busted up, and still takes you on the bridge over

Another option would be to take the trail along Superior all the way to 27th, then down 27th, but that's still not ideal.

But I will give some options I would take. I have a buddy that lives in those apartments. Youre kinda screwed and are gonna have to do some street riding more than likely.

-Take 1st south to Irving. Take a left and get on the bike trail that goes through Roper park as far to the south as you can until you hit 5th st.

-Take 5th south to Adams.

-Turn left on Adams and go over the bridge. Turn right on 9th. (I dont believe there is a sidewalk on the bridge over 180, so youll be in traffic for that short period.

-Take 9th south until you can go no further, and turn left on Nance.

-This will take you to 11th, which you should take south across Cornhusker. I believe there is enough sidewalk to get done what you need too. This portion may take some navigation of crosswalks.

-Once you get over cornhusker. Take a left at the mcdonalds, on to saunders. IIRC, this road is pretty sh**ty as far as surfacing goes, so ride with caution.

-THis will take you to antelope valley. I would cross the road at that point and get on the sidewalk on the east side of antelope valley. Take that sidewalk south past devaney and there will be a small footbridge that crosses the ditch to get onto a larger path. Take that path south a short ways, as it will go under the state fair road. Then, there will be a bridge back across the ditch that goes into the parking lot of HSS. You are on campus.

I know that is pretty confusing. And it takes you to the northeast side of campus. But as far as easy bicycling while avoiding alot of street riding, that may be your best option.

If you are willing to take 1st all the way south across cornhusker, you may have an easier route. Once you get past cornhusker it is very easy to get on campus. You can take a bridge into the haymarket park area and either take charleston to the footbridge by the stadium, or take the footbridge on the south side of haymarket park and go under the overpasses where everyone tailgates. That will get you right by the 501 building/ticket office/parking office. This is what I would probably do.

If there is a way you can take 1st south that is decently easy for you, thats what I would do. Once you get past cornhusker, it is cake.

Hopefully this comes off as advice for your next move and not me sounding like a dick, but this is the kind of question you ask before you sign a lease, or more importantly, buy a place. Sometimes there's a reason why prices look attractive. End of lecture. Sorry that I have no advice to give for your current situation. Good luck and be safe.

Hopefully this comes off as advice for your next move and not me sounding like a dick, but this is the kind of question you ask before you sign a lease, or more importantly, buy a place. Sometimes there's a reason why prices look attractive. End of lecture. Sorry that I have no advice to give for your current situation. Good luck and be safe.

I wasn't going to base my entire moving decision off of bike trails. I did a lot of research, spent weeks looking for places, and in terms of price efficiency in addition to all of my other expenses, this place was the best. I thought about biking and physically bought the bike a month after I had signed my contract, so for all intents and purposes, I put this on the same level as whether there are any good bars close by. Not enough to be the foundation of your decision, but a nice bonus if it's there.

I probably made the OP sound like a bigger deal than it truly is. I was planning on driving most days in the first place.