Samsung vs Apple verdict is in.........

That's going to get appealed. I'm sorry, you can't copyright a shape. Juries are great from criminal trials, but this kinda thing John Q. Public is just not smart enough to decide.

Patent law needs a revamp. The general kinds of concepts that they allow patents on is just stupid. If it ran 100 years ago like it does now we would have one maker of cars with 4 wheels.

Especially when the whole jury is fiddling with their iPhones in the jury box while listening to testimony!! :)

Tim Cook:

Today was an important day for Apple and for innovators everywhere.

Many of you have been closely following the trial against Samsung in San Jose for the past few weeks. We chose legal action very reluctantly and only after repeatedly asking Samsung to stop copying our work. For us this lawsuit has always been about something much more important than patents or money. It's about values. We value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. And we do this to delight our customers, not for competitors to flagrantly copy.

We owe a debt of gratitude to the jury who invested their time in listening to our story. We were thrilled to finally have the opportunity to tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trial showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than we knew.

The jury has now spoken. We applaud them for finding Samsung's behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right.

I am very proud of the work that each of you do.

Today, values have won and I hope the whole world listens.

Tim

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/24/tim-cook-tells-apple-employees-that-todays-victory-is-about-values/

Tim Cook:

Today was an important day for Apple and for innovators everywhere.

Many of you have been closely following the trial against Samsung in San Jose for the past few weeks. We chose legal action very reluctantly and only after repeatedly asking Samsung to stop copying our work. For us this lawsuit has always been about something much more important than patents or money. It's about values. We value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. And we do this to delight our customers, not for competitors to flagrantly copy.

Oh the irony in this statement. Apple would still be behind the eight ball, and microsoft, had they not stolen the ideas for these touch screens and tablets from an idiotic microsoft employee with loose lips.

Apple is just upset that the Samsung Galaxy S3 is superior to their crappy iPhone 4s in about every way imaginable.

Maybe they should cry some more, ffs.

My iPhone 4 has been running strong for almost 2 years....wished I could say the same thing from my previous Android phones that barely made it 3 months :lol:

395.gif

Oh the irony in this statement. Apple would still be behind the eight ball, and microsoft, had they not stolen the ideas for these touch screens and tablets from an idiotic microsoft employee with loose lips.

I don't remember a popular touchscreen Microsoft tablet . . . did I miss something?

Never popular, but they had an Xp standard called Origami, touch interface etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-mobile_PC

They were expensive and the design was poorly controlled (some had mini key pads, while others were touchscreen) I almost bought one, but I think they were only on the US market for a very short time....

I don't remember a popular touchscreen Microsoft tablet . . . did I miss something?

Did I say there was a popular touchscreen Microsoft tablet? I said the idea for it, which near as I can figure is what Apple sued Samsung for. I wish I could recall where I saw the interview but I think it may have been 60 minutes. They were talking about Jobs and the ipad and mention that the idea basically came from and engineer that was friends with another engineer at Microsoft who talked about a project they had been working on, at the time it may have been the touchscreen table that they have now. I'm not saying Microsoft had a patented design stolen but for either Apple or Microsoft to claim that they value originality is outrageous, as is the fact that they sue their competitors for the same same practices they are guilty of.

!

Admittedly I know next to nothing about patent law but to me this thing just reeks of incompetence on either the lawyer's part or the jury. I own a samsung phone and everybody I know has an iphone, other than both being colorless rectangles with rounded edges they are most certainly different animals. The initial interface where all the icons are is about the only part where I think one could legitimately argue samsung copied apple. And even then they had to write their own code, so the idea of how to display information has to be patented which sounds ludicrous to me.

Apple is just upset that the Samsung Galaxy S3 is superior to their crappy iPhone 4s in about every way imaginable.

lol. Exactly. Unfortunately, these days it's not about who has the best products. It's about who has the strongest patent portfolio. And the best patent lawyers. :lol:

And 'patent squatting' is commonplace. Microsoft and Sony pay a fee to company every time someone buys a controller, because some 'company' (one who never manufactured anything, and really only existed to file a patent or two) patented a 'game controller with vibration force feedback' never mind they had no prototype, or even an attempt to make one. They just sat of the theory patent for years until everyone had those controllers, and they were more or less integral to the consoles.

Mitsubishi actually "invented" the technology that was the genesis of today's mobile interface. Samsung presented this as evidence and how that apparently blew over the jury is quite baffling to me. In fact, the entire idea of a jury of laymen deciding such cases that have huge ramifications in the world of business and IT is baffling.

Did I say there was a popular touchscreen Microsoft tablet?

It was a serious question. No snark intended.

I said the idea for it, which near as I can figure is what Apple sued Samsung for. I wish I could recall where I saw the interview but I think it may have been 60 minutes. They were talking about Jobs and the ipad and mention that the idea basically came from and engineer that was friends with another engineer at Microsoft who talked about a project they had been working on, at the time it may have been the touchscreen table that they have now. I'm not saying Microsoft had a patented design stolen but for either Apple or Microsoft to claim that they value originality is outrageous, as is the fact that they sue their competitors for the same same practices they are guilty of.

Well, let me know if you find something that backs up your claim. I'd be interested in reading it.

My iPhone 4 has been running strong for almost 2 years....wished I could say the same thing from my previous Android phones that barely made it 3 months :lol:

395.gif

This times a thousand! I had three different Samsung androids before I sad screw it and got an iPhone.......not one problem since!

• Fire 1