UCLA - Nebraska - 1988

Bruleif

Nebraska played a Troy Aikman led UCLA at the Rose Bowl in 1988. The night before the game I went to the Hollywood Bowl for a concert. At the snack stand I ran into a Nebraska fan and mentioned to him that I was going to the game. He launced into a monologue about how the Huskers were going to cream the Bruins. He brought up point after point to make his case. (It was a long line.) I have to admit that some of his points seemed cogent. I listened patiently, nodding my head and smiling. I thought of him fondly at the end of the first quarter the next afternoon when the score was UCLA 28 Nebraska 0. Oh, the good old days. I think the final score was UCLA 48, Nebraska 24 but that was only because after the first quarter Terry Donahue went into his famous shell and played very, very conservatively. It was just one of those days when UCLA could do no wrong and Nebraska could not do anything right.

But what I remember most from that game is the hit that UCLA safety Matt Darby put on Dana Brinson. Brinson was coming out of the backfield to catch a pass and has his head turned back to the Nebraska QB and Darby just unloaded on him right as the ball arrived. I could hear the hit up in my seat and I was in row 72! That had never happened before and it has never happened again since. There was actually a hush that fell over everyone around me because they thought that Brinson had been badly hurt. I was very, very glad to see him get up and walk off the field, although he was definitely groggy.

Just thought I would share.

You UCLA guys are all the same... UCLA this, UCLA that... oh, no, wait. Maybe that's another fanbase I have heard... HA! I remember that game. Like many, MANY NU matchups I've seen over the years, it rarely does any good to brag or boast PRIOR to the end of the game (especially if you're some dude standing in a refreshment stand line quoting stats about how your team is gonna do this and your team is gonna do that!). Guess i was raised more 'humble' than that. I have seen my team THUMPED by opponents that were supposed to be a 'breeze'. Recall the South Dakota State Jackrabbits a couple of years ago??? My LORD, we almost LOST that game!!! I recall on ONE of my wedding days, NU vs lowly Iowa State. GEEOWWW! I hope my huskers TROUNCE UCLA, but you won't see me out spouting off about HOW we're gonna do it, I reckon I'll let the players and coaches do that! Good read Bruin dude and good luck.

GO BIG RED!

Nebraska played a Troy Aikman led UCLA at the Rose Bowl in 1988. The night before the game I went to the Hollywood Bowl for a concert. At the snack stand I ran into a Nebraska fan and mentioned to him that I was going to the game. He launced into a monologue about how the Huskers were going to cream the Bruins. He brought up point after point to make his case. (It was a long line.) I have to admit that some of his points seemed cogent. I listened patiently, nodding my head and smiling. I thought of him fondly at the end of the first quarter the next afternoon when the score was UCLA 28 Nebraska 0. Oh, the good old days. I think the final score was UCLA 48, Nebraska 24 but that was only because after the first quarter Terry Donahue went into his famous shell and played very, very conservatively. It was just one of those days when UCLA could do no wrong and Nebraska could not do anything right.

But what I remember most from that game is the hit that UCLA safety Matt Darby put on Dana Brinson. Brinson was coming out of the backfield to catch a pass and has his head turned back to the Nebraska QB and Darby just unloaded on him right as the ball arrived. I could hear the hit up in my seat and I was in row 72! That had never happened before and it has never happened again since. There was actually a hush that fell over everyone around me because they thought that Brinson had been badly hurt. I was very, very glad to see him get up and walk off the field, although he was definitely groggy.

Just thought I would share.

Not for nothin', name one guy on your team, right now, that would get drafted in the first two rounds?

UCLA had a better team, but this is now, and I think your delusional if there's anyone on your team thats going to be able to take over a game and break it open. That was one game, that one game was before all these kids on this team were alive. I thought with your other post, you might bring a decent perspective to your team, but now, i'm doubting that...

@Brulief.....I remember that hit and I have tried to find footage of it. That was the hardest hit I have ever seen.....ever. His mouthpiece flew out....everything.....I remember Keith Jackson saying how wicked of a hit it was. Then when they were carrying him off the field, he had a towel that read "D-Rock is bad". Not on that play....

If someone could find that hit, I would love to see it.

I would love to tell story of a day that Nebraska wooped UCLA's ass but there are just so many of them that I can't recall any individual instance. It's all cobbled up into one big can of whoop ass. Have a nice day. Dont forget to stop by after the game or tommorrow morning.

Since the head-to-head record between the two teams is 6-4 in Nebraska's favor and since one of the Nebraska victories was 14-13, at most there can only be 5 lop-sided Nebraska victories. I know there were a couple of times in the 1990's when Nebraska clobbered the Bruins, but are you sure that all 5 of those victories (the ones except the 14-13 one) were lopsided?

Not for nothin', name one guy on your team, right now, that would get drafted in the first two rounds?

UCLA had a better team, but this is now, and I think your delusional if there's anyone on your team thats going to be able to take over a game and break it open. That was one game, that one game was before all these kids on this team were alive. I thought with your other post, you might bring a decent perspective to your team, but now, i'm doubting that...

I did not say anything about the current team in my post in this thread - I was just sharing a memory from the past. I did not mean to imply nor should you infer that anything in my post above refers to the current team. I think they will be good - not great - by the end of the year but now I just do not know.

I will say something vis-a-vis your suggestion that the Bruins don't have anyone who can take over a game and break it open. To be honest, they may or they may not. So many of the people on this team are true freshman or redshirt freshman that there may be a diamond in the rough amongst them. On the other hand, there are a lot of players on this team that lost to USC 50-0 so who knows at this point.

the final score was UCLA 48, Nebraska 24

Sure enough, I looked that game up and you're right, you won. Except the score was a bit different than you remember. Also, I noticed while looking it up that it was a four game series in the 1980s:

1983 NU 42, UCLA 10

1984 NU 42, UCLA 3

1987 NU 42, UCLA 33

1988 NU 28, UCLA 41

Sure enough, I looked that game up and you're right, you won. Except the score was a bit different than you remember. Also, I noticed while looking it up that it was a four game series in the 1980s:

1983 NU 42, UCLA 10

1984 NU 42, UCLA 3

1987 NU 42, UCLA 33

1988 NU 28, UCLA 41

Thanks NUance...I knew I was guessing on the 1988 score. I remember that 42 to 3 game.....Ouch! The sad thing is that the game was more lopsided than the final score indicated.

1983 NU 42, UCLA 10

1984 NU 42, UCLA 3

1987 NU 42, UCLA 33

1988 NU 28, UCLA 41

Thanks NUance...I knew I was guessing on the 1988 score. I remember that 42 to 3 game.....Ouch! The sad thing is that the game was more lopsided than the final score indicated.

Yeah, to be fair the '88 game was closer than the score. I remember seeing a replay of it. I think one of our scores came when all the Bruins thought the play was dead and stopped playing, and the NU guy just loped into the endzone.

But let's talk about those first three '80s games instead. :lol:

1983 NU 42, UCLA 10

1984 NU 42, UCLA 3

1987 NU 42, UCLA 33

1988 NU 28, UCLA 41

Yeah, to be fair the '88 game was closer than the score. I remember seeing a replay of it. I think one of our scores came when all the Bruins thought the play was dead and stopped playing, and the NU guy just loped into the endzone.

But let's talk about those first three '80s games instead. :lol:

You are right, Nuance. One of the Nebraska scores (it may have been the first Nebraska score) was an interception, I think, and all of the Bruins thought the Nebraska defender who had intercepted the ball had hit the ground but the officials never blew the whistle and the Nebraska player (I cannot remember his name) had the good sense to just keep jogging toward the end zone and it was indeed called a touchdown. All of the Bruins were just standing around dumbfounded. LOL. I have not seen that kind of play since either.