BRING BACK POWER FOOTBALL!

The Duke

^ Because, and I've said this many times without a lot of people agreeing with (but I think the coaches who evaluate Taylor would acknowledge this; who knows??) ...

- Taylor is not a crisp roll-out thrower. He has enough trouble with his footworks and everything when he sets up in the comfort of the pocket. Asking him to throw while moving is something we can do once in a while...but not as a featured, core set of the attack.

- Decision-making. Taylor isn't a "go through a ton of reads" QB and doesn't demonstrate great presence of mind under duress. If we can get a releasing TE or RB open in the flat, I think this could be a solid option - but any sort of downfield attack where Taylor has to make decisions on the run, not very bueno, IMO.

- Rolling out, stopping, making a read, setting up, and throwing just isn't a reliable option. There probably isn't enough time for this. Taylor is fast, but we're not talking about getting to the second level with straightline burst here, we're talking about moving laterally while keeping your eyes downfield.

I agree that we need to work our passing game to complement the run. Mostly playactions. Maybe throws to the flats if we can get YAC out of those...although I think if we target Jamal there, we'll get YAC no matter the ball placement. Maybe have Kyler work the flats as well, or go deep on the playaction in the seams.

Regarding the OP, I don't know how you could say we're a spread passing team right now.

I agree Zoogie about Taylor throwing on the move! But Saturday night I was screaming for Beck to move the pocket. Roll him out and give him a run pass option!

I'm going to sharply disagree on the last statement. If we tried to pass as much as we did in 2008, it would be unmitigated disaster. I dunno, maybe I'm overselling 2008, but that was an exceptional blend of chemistry and a case where we could go to the pass again and again and again.

Taylor's current pass efficiency rating is 161.3, while Ganz had a rating of 153.6 at the end of 2008.

I don't think we should pass as often as we did in 2008, but only because I think we have too strong a running game. I like our passing game right now.

I think the offense is a moot issue at this point. There's room for improvement, there's room for Martinez to get better (two of those interceptions were not smart throws), and I'm sure nobody would argue that our offensive line needs to start games better and maintain it. But, overall, they're not doing a bad job.

The defense is mostly responsible for our loss last week. The offense didn't help at all, especially with all of Martinez' turnovers, but you HAVE to be better than 63 points. You just have to be.

Hey Nebula sorry for my late reply. I just now caught your reply along with the others who rightfully disagreed to my original post in this thread.

I'll be honest....and full disclosure here....when I posted this thread last month I did something I hardly ever do, I let my emotions over Nebraska's loss to UCLA get the best of me. Normally after a loss I will usually give it the 24 hour rule before I post something about our games.

I would just like to say that all the points you addressed in your post were on the mark. I will admit that my first love is under center power football like what Osborne used to do, and also what Jim Harbaugh is currently doing with the San Francisco 49ers. However, I will concede to you and others on here that you can be a power running team out of the shotgun. And you are absolutely correct in that our greatest strength under Osborne over the years were his genius ability to adapt. Not only could he adapt during a given game to what the defense was doing, he also was able to skillfully adapt and tweak his offense each new season to how the game was changing.

So let me again say...you and others on this thread were right, and I should have cooled down a little after the UCLA loss before posting without thinking. Our current problems are not on offense as we clearly saw against UCLA and Ohio State. Our number one concern that this team has to address immediately is the defense.

Thank you again for your great reply. +1 to you!

Duke: This is why I basically haven't posted since Saturday. :lol:

I'm pretty sure all of us have either said something or posted something after a loss that was the product of emotion rather than logic. I do it ALL THE TIME.

You're a good poster...keep contributing to the board! :cheers

• Fire 2

I'll be honest....and full disclosure here....when I posted this thread last month I did something I hardly ever do, I let my emotions over Nebraska's loss to UCLA get the best of me. Normally after a loss I will usually give it the 24 hour rule before I post something about our games.

+1 to you Duke, and much respect, for being man enough to admit you're not perfect. None of us are.

Hey Nebula sorry for my late reply. I just now caught your reply along with the others who rightfully disagreed to my original post in this thread.

I would just like to say that all the points you addressed in your post were on the mark. I will admit that my first love is under center power football like what Osborne used to do, and also what Jim Harbaugh is currently doing with the San Francisco 49ers. However, I will concede to you and others on here that you can be a power running team out of the shotgun. And you are absolutely correct in that our greatest strength under Osborne over the years were his genius ability to adapt. Not only could he adapt during a given game to what the defense was doing, he also was able to skillfully adapt and tweak his offense each new season to how the game was changing.

So let me again say...you and others on this thread were right, and I should have cooled down a little after the UCLA loss before posting without thinking. Our current problems are not on offense as we clearly saw against UCLA and Ohio State. Our number one concern that this team has to address immediately is the defense.

I'm pretty sure all of us have either said something or posted something after a loss that was the product of emotion rather than logic. I do it ALL THE TIME.

Thanks for your kind words my friend! I sent this to you in a private message too because I didn't know where you would see my reply first.

I think the UCLA loss and Ohio State loss have convinced me that what I should do after losses like these is instead of going immediately onto HuskerBoard...I should just reach for another cold one and call it a day. :cheers Cheers to you man and much respect!

Have a great weekend, and Go Big Red!

Thanks for your kind words my friend! I sent this to you in a private message too because I didn't know where you would see my reply first.

I think the UCLA loss and Ohio State loss have convinced me that what I should do after losses like these is instead of going immediately onto HuskerBoard...I should just reach for another cold one tube of model airplane glue and call it a day. :cheers Cheers to you man and much respect!

Fixed it for you ;)

I think the UCLA loss and Ohio State loss have convinced me that what I should do after losses like these is instead of going immediately onto HuskerBoard...I should just reach for another cold one tube of model airplane glue and call it a day. :cheers Cheers to you man and much respect!

Fixed it for you ;)

Ha ha! Good grief beanman! I'll have to admit that gave me a good laugh. :D

Kara you bring up a good point. Why wouldn't we roll out Taylor more times than not when we throw? It would play into his strength as a runner in space giving him a run/pass option.

Also in my opinion when Taylor does drop back it should be mostly screens, play action and TE seams passes after they bite on the play fake... this is all set up by the run though.

In reality what I just wrote totally goes against Beck's offensive philosophy, which goes against Taylor's strengths more times than not. Beck's offense is designed for Todd Reesing, not Taylor Martinez IMO.

Question for you, does NU even have a screen play to the RB in their playbook. If they do, I have never seen it. I have screamed at my TV & at some games "call a f**king screen to Burkhead" It would quickly make a defense think twice about sending the house at Martinez.