Correctable Errors

I'd love to see a tally on the number of missed tackles. We missed a ton of 'stops in the backfield' that turned into 10+ yard gains solely because the tackles were missed. We don't gang tackle at all and we don't force a lot of turnovers. The defense seems to be bend but don't break by design and we often seem 'thin' when we're on the field. I still think the missed tackles ultimately cost us the game, though. We need a lot of improvement elsewhere as well but there were a few runs where we missed 5 or more tackles and the plays resulted in big gains. Also, all offenses create matchup issues, that's not ever going to stop.

^^^ This guy got it 100% right. Even if we make 75% of the tackles that we missed on Saturday, the defense still probably doesn't look good, but we probably win that game by 10 points or more. Missed tackles are fixable (correctable) and I hope to see a massive improvement going forward.

Below are a couple quotes from articles I read today.

"they say the errors made last Saturday are capable of being corrected"

"Better footwork, better hand placement, better head positioning — slight tweaks like that might have changed the final outcome"

It seems that in every game the huskers play there are "correctable errors". If this happens once or twice it is OK, but when it happens over and over, then the system is the problem. By system I mean, they way they practice, the scheme or the coaching. The other option is that this is just coach speak, but the above quotes were from the players ... of course the players could be coached on how to deal with the press.

Are you talking about 2010? 2011? Be more specific please!

2011 and 2012 offense and defense

What if Nebraska was to stop with the up tempo offense? I know it puts up the points (when it's clicking) but it also puts the defense back on the field faster, and is this a good thing? If the offense would go back to running the football more I feel this would help. It would be interesting to look at the time of possession; my bet is UCLA had a huge advantage with this. Also, if the Huskers run the ball more they won't allow the other team's offense to get in rhythm as easily.

It would be interesting to compare how much full speed, full contact practice goes on now compared to the time of Charlie McBride.

However, I do believe one can have TOO much practice (Columbus High School manages to make all their big kids quit with three a day practices before each season, since they get worn down faster than the little wiry kids.)

I'd love to see a tally on the number of missed tackles.

dirk put it together. 19 missed tackles for a total of 172 yards after the missed tackle.

So, UCLA still would have gained 400+ yards on us...

...that suggests a superior scheme, coupled with the element of surprise (due to a lack of film), talent, and team speed.

It's a good thing that, for our next opponent, we aren't facing a new coach with good team speed, talent, and a dual threat quarterback...all of which we have zilch for meaningful film on.

Otherwise, we could very well see a similar outcome to the UCLA game.

maybe - some of those were 3rd downs which would have resulted in punts...but instead ended up being another 30 yards with a score. in any other game 172 would have been significant. That's about what Alabama allows for an entire game...and that's just what we gave up on missed tackles.

Exactly - and several of them were behind the line of scrimmage. Potential 5 yard losses turned into 20+ yard gains, which is the case every time a Pelini D faces a mobile quarterback. You can look back to two or three missed tackles behind the line (at least 2 by Whaley) that would have changed the game, and instead turned into big gains and eventually points for UCLA.

Look back at our good defenses in '09/10 and you'll see Gomes playing alongside Dillard and David. All three had speed and could cover RBs and WRs. Our front four wasn't much better in '10 than they are now, they just had time to get to the QB because our LBs weren't getting burned. We'll never be able to match up with Compton and Whaley on the field, and our slow D will continue to be taken advantage of.

Game two and the staff is still trying to correct crap that Bo and Co should have been teaching the past 4 years. THESE ARE ALL HIS GUYS. Ones he recruited and coached. Now, they are going back to basics? Is anyone else alarmed that this wasn't observed in practice (spring and fall), scrimmages, and the first game. That is some straight up BS!

To add, if things were so easy to correct ie foot placement, tweak here or there, WTH wasn't it. It took over 600 yrds of offense and an embarrassment in front of a national audience, all the recruits not to mention a lot of our kids home crowd to realize we aren't getting it done. Wow.