Hypothetical Pelini Replacement

If and I mean if Nebraska dis go in another direction, the should seriously go after Chris Peterson at Boise. If not him, then Al Golden at Miami; he is a good coach stuck in a bad situation that he inherited without his knowledge.

Stop patronizing. Peterson CLEARLY is going nowhere. Golden sucks. We want the same level of coach that you guys want... I don't believe you would choose those two for your school.

What the hell is your problem? He was just giving a couple options that he thought would be good hires.

Um, sounds like you are the one with the problem.

Nobody,

If Urban was not in the mix when we were looking, I would have no problem taking Peterson. I was just bringing up realistic names for Nebraska right now. How big of name do you think would be available and who would leave their current position to take it? Peterson, I believe would leave for the right situation, Nebraska is a perfect fit for him. IMHO

And, oh, I am not patronizing.

I'd take Peterson if Bo wasnt available. But if Peterson would leave for the right offer, he's not doing a very good job of showing it. I think I'd be happy with anyone available right now. With that said, I think the best fit would be an up and coming coach.. to get where we want to be, I think we need a young urban or a young saban.

his name is Bo Pelini

Yep, Bo is my coach.

I like this thread because all the Bo supporters come out in bunches to try and stop it and it's quite fun to watch, wonder if they'd also show up to the meeting between Tom and Bo and try to stop that too. Also how about this offseason when Bo goes and looks for another job and when nobody will hire him he comes back and acts like he wasn't try to leave.

what?

what happened to this board? it has gone off its bean.

Point proven, Thank you

And what point would that be.

Nobody,

If Urban was not in the mix when we were looking, I would have no problem taking Peterson. I was just bringing up realistic names for Nebraska right now. How big of name do you think would be available and who would leave their current position to take it? Peterson, I believe would leave for the right situation, Nebraska is a perfect fit for him. IMHO

And, oh, I am not patronizing.

I'd take Peterson if Bo wasnt available. But if Peterson would leave for the right offer, he's not doing a very good job of showing it. I think I'd be happy with anyone available right now. With that said, I think the best fit would be an up and coming coach.. to get where we want to be, I think we need a young urban or a young saban.

*wouldn't be happy with anyone available

As I've said before, I don't think Bo needs to be fired, until he puts together back-to-back lackluster seasons. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him jump ship and take a DC position elsewhere if he feels his seat getting warm. A lot of people aren't thinking about that possibility.

That's because it's not really a possibility in the real world. I've never heard of a head coach voluntarily stepping down to be a coordinator at the same level. A D2 or D3 or high school head coach will often do it do jump to FBS, maybe even a FCS coach would do it, but name me one coach who's left an FBS head coach job on his own (i.e., not been fired) to take a coordinator job at another FBS school and I'll start thinking about it.

Sorry, I meant NFL, not another college program.

OK, maybe, but I'm still doubtful. It'd be a big pay cut, and he'd have to deal with NFL egos. I'm not sure I can come up with any coaches that have left major college football programs to become NFL coordinators either.

Bo needs time to learn. He does not need fired at this point. Nothing could be worse for this program. Get him help that knows their jobs so he can learn his.

Here's the problem...Bo is arrogant and does not want to hire anybody that could possibly know more about the game than him. That is why he constantly hires his HS buddies with ZERO coordinator experience.

I'm not calling for Bo's head, and am in fact a supporter and think that he is learning on the go and continuing to improve as a head coach. The issues right now are obviously at LB and DL due to poor recruiting classes in Bo's first three seasons. I believe this will get straightened out after the 2012 and 2013 classes, but that may be too late. I see more than a reasonable possibility that Bo won't be around after the 2013 season, as 4+ losses this season and next is not out of the question. I don't see TO firing Bo even if he loses 5 this season, but I can see Bo jumping ship to go rebuild another defense and feel appreciated once again.

My question is this - who is next in line if Bo were to leave after this season? Turner Gill is no longer an option after failing at KU, and it won't be anyone from the current staff. There is also no way in Osborne's red state that Husker Nation will let it once again be a learn on the job role. It will have to be an established head coach with at least 2-3 years of experience and success. What successful coaches would want to come to Nebraska after 3 straight coaches have failed and essentially been run out of town? My fantasy list, though unlikely, is as follows:

1. This is a given, the most sought-after coach in college football, Chris Petersen. I don't see him leaving Boise, but if he did I think Nebraska would have a legitimate shot if it can fork up the money. He doesn't want to go to a top notch program - Notre Dame, Ohio St., USC, Oklahoma - and though I consider Nebraska top notch, realistically it is in Tier 2. Location-wise, recruiting to the city of Lincoln isn't much different than recruiting to Boise, and essentially what Petersen's done with Boise is the same as what Devany did with Nebraska in the '60s. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think that if the stars aligned Petersen would give NU a good look.

2. Tony Sparano. This is absolutely out of the blue, but after seeing Bo continually outcoached by former NFL coaches, it's obvious that an NFL coach who's had success can easily breakdown film and gameplan against above average college coaches. Not to mention they attract recruits who want to play at the next level. Sparano is a guy who got everything out of his Dolphin teams, but did not have the personnel to compete in the AFC East. He's a creative offensive mind and utilizes his weapons. He puts his players in position to succeed, something we're not seeing out of the current staff. Callahan destroyed a Raiders team that made it to a Super Bowl, a warning sign that Pederson ignored, and should have never been given the opportunity to coach in Lincoln. Nebraska should not be afraid to give the NFL thing another shot. Sparano won't see another NFL head coaching job for a while, and $3.5 mil might be enough to bring him to the B1G.

3. Paul Johnson. Successful everywhere he's been. If Nebraska wants to get back to it's roots, bring back the option and the man who's the best in the country at coaching it.

4. Butch Jones, Cincinnati. Currently coaches in Nebraska's new recruiting hot spot (Ohio), has proven himself in two head coaching jobs, and one more successful season will put him in high demand. Grab him now or never.

5. Frank Solich. Might as well go back to Frankie and pretend the last 10 years never happened.

6. Tom Osborne. While we're at it, might as well pretend the last 15 years never happened. Bill Snyder did it.

Thoughts??

Chris Peterson hire is just stupid. Peterson has said before that he loves Boise St. and he loves how they have treated him. If we fire Bo and want Chris Peterson, he deserves to laugh in our faces and throw the offer back at us. Peterson isn't going to find the tender loving care that he has found at Boise St. in Lincoln, especially when we bad mouth a coach so quickly.

Frank Solich isn't going to happen, and neither will Tom Osborne.