Cataclysmic fall

tmfr15

Seriously though, "how worried should we be?" I'm not really going to worry at all because I'm just a fan and I can't actually do anything about it. I'm just going to watch the games and hope for the best. Should be fun to watch our O this year either way, even 2007 had its bright spots

Well, excuse me, but I am going to worry. Because 2007 was a nightmare. It was not fun to watch the Huskers lose game after game after game and not even be competitive. It was not fun to have no bowl game to watch. It was not fun to see the coaches run out and uncertainly roll in. I have always loved Nebraska football. I enjoy watching the Huskers, but I don't enjoy watching them struggle.

It's kind of like watching your kid play sports. You want them to do well, but it is painful to see them struggle or fail.

When it gets to the point that your kid is struggling and failing more than they are succeeding, you just want the experience to be over.

As a fan who waits most of the year to see the Huskers play, I don't want to start looking forward to the end of the season.

I don't think there's any real threat of having another 2007 season this year. There's some glaring deficiencies in the talent department on the roster, but Bo's a good enough coach to disguise a lot of that. People act like they lost that game by 40 points, and if they had some sh**ty coach like Callahan on the sideline they likely would have. I doubt the team is going to quit on Bo.

A few individuals might get pissy and quit because they're actually expected to earn their keep, but I think that breeds a competitive nature that will help prevent an absolute collapse like we witnessed in 2007.

• Fire 3

I don't think there's any real threat of having another 2007 season this year. There's some glaring deficiencies in the talent department on the roster, but Bo's a good enough coach to disguise a lot of that. People act like they lost that game by 40 points, and if they had some sh**ty coach like Callahan on the sideline they likely would have. I doubt the team is going to quit on Bo.

A few individuals might get pissy and quit because they're actually expected to earn their keep, but I think that breeds a competitive nature that will help prevent an absolute collapse like we witnessed in 2007.

+1 we played a terrible game and only lost by 6, to a team that far superior talent on both sides of the ball.

• Fire 1

+1 we played a terrible game and only lost by 6, to a team that far superior talent on both sides of the ball.

Do you really think UCLA had superior talent on the offensive side of the ball? I guess I didn't see it. I don't think there's much doubt on the defensive side of the ball. I'd even throw in there that Mora and staff coached that game superior to our staff.

Do you really think UCLA had superior talent on the offensive side of the ball? I guess I didn't see it. I don't think there's much doubt on the defensive side of the ball. I'd even throw in there that Mora and staff coached that game superior to our staff.

Coaching had alot to do with it, but when a young oline pushes our dline around who are veterans then yes I would say they had superior talent along the front lines.

I was specifically talking about our offensive talent versus their offensive talent. I don't think UCLA has more talent on their offense than we do our offense. This was the point I was getting at.

Skill positions might be a push, but oline is a different story.

I don't but our offense doesn't play there offense. Even defensively I am not sure they have more talent. They exploited Nebraska's scheme on defense and combined with really crappy tackling had a great day. Don't get me wrong UCLA has talent. They found some really good matchups with there RB on our LB's and went with it. The QB is the key that kid was lights out good. Better than Braxton Miller or Dennard Robinson has looked this year. He throws way better than both of them.

speedin: Isn't that part of the problem, though?

Dude: That's just the exact opposite of 2007, but still similar in the sense that we only had 1/2. 2007 = talent but bad coach. 2012 = bad talent but good coach. How are we to know which is better?

speedin: Isn't that part of the problem, though?

Dude: That's just the exact opposite of 2007, but still similar in the sense that we only had 1/2. 2007 = talent but bad coach. 2012 = bad talent but good coach. How are we to know which is better?

It has alot to do with recrutiing like I said earlier, Bo was new to recruiting when he became our HC so now it shows on the field. But his past two classes have had some talent, so hopefully they pan out as expected.

I was specifically talking about our offensive talent versus their offensive talent. I don't think UCLA has more talent on their offense than we do our offense. This was the point I was getting at.

Personally I thought our offense was better, I certainly wouldn't trade Taylor or Rex for their guys. We didn't play as good of an offensive game as we could have and they did. I really would have to give them an edge at o-line which sucks considering how young that line is.

I'm not totally worried personally yet. I'm tired of the roller coaster, but my theory is that Pelini got spread too thin with concerns on offense and went on autopilot on the defense fundamentals. For much of Bo's tenure the defense was the lesser concern. Despite the disappointment with Beck and Martinez toward the end of the UCLA game, to me the progress is undeniable and this allows Pelini to get back to the basic and his passion for defense. I'm betting that in the long term this gets fixed.

The only thing that nags at me is that EVERY year we talk about tackling issues like it is a new problem we've never seen before. That is getting old.

I think this is tying a lot into the complicated scheme issue. I think guys are spending too much thinking about where theyre supposed to line up and reading this and reacting that that they get themselves just a smidgin out of position by taking the play a half step slow. Go back to the great defenses of '09 and '10 and them guys in the secondary were shootin like missles into ball carrier like it was 2nd nature. O-Hanlon. My land he would fly out of nowhere to make plays on extremely talented guys like Shipley, Broyles, Murry and so on. And all he was was a walk-on from podunk Beatrice, Nebraska.

Personally I thought our offense was better, I certainly wouldn't trade Taylor or Rex for their guys. We didn't play as good of an offensive game as we could have and they did. I really would have to give them an edge at o-line which sucks considering how young that line is.

I didnt say they were better at the skill positions, I said it was a push.

I'm not totally worried personally yet. I'm tired of the roller coaster, but my theory is that Pelini got spread too thin with concerns on offense and went on autopilot on the defense fundamentals. For much of Bo's tenure the defense was the lesser concern. Despite the disappointment with Beck and Martinez toward the end of the UCLA game, to me the progress is undeniable and this allows Pelini to get back to the basic and his passion for defense. I'm betting that in the long term this gets fixed.

The only thing that nags at me is that EVERY year we talk about tackling issues like it is a new problem we've never seen before. That is getting old.

I think this is tying a lot into the complicated scheme issue. I think guys are spending too much thinking about where theyre supposed to line up and reading this and reacting that that they get themselves just a smidgin out of position by taking the play a half step slow. Go back to the great defenses of '09 and '10 and them guys in the secondary were shootin like missles into ball carrier like it was 2nd nature. O-Hanlon. My land he would fly out of nowhere to make plays on extremely talented guys like Shipley, Broyles, Murry and so on. And all he was was a walk-on from podunk Beatrice, Nebraska.

I would agree with that. That's funny, I grew up in Beatrice. :)