Time to get serious about science

Junior

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/its-time-to-get-serious-about-science/2012/09/09/5b5c1472-f129-11e1-892d-bc92fee603a7_story.html

"It is human nature to chuckle at a study titled “Acoustic Trauma in the Guinea Pig,” yet this research led to a treatment for hearing loss in infants. Similar examples abound. Transformative technologies such as the Internet, fiber optics, the Global Positioning System, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computer touch-screens and lithium-ion batteries were all products of federally funded research.

Yes, “the sex life of the screwworm” sounds funny. But a $250,000 study of this pest, which is lethal to livestock, has, over time, saved the U.S. cattle industry more than $20 billion."

I am not against federally funded research. Just as an example, look at all the great things that have come out of the federally funded space program? But, when are we going to get serious about cutting our spending?

We can't spend the way we have been. And, raising taxes on the rich doesn't even come close to covering what we are spending?

I am not against federally funded research. Just as an example, look at all the great things that have come out of the federally funded space program? But, when are we going to get serious about cutting our spending?

We can't spend the way we have been. And, raising taxes on the rich doesn't even come close to covering what we are spending?

sometimes spending money initially allows for greater savings down the road. like with job training.

That's all fine and dandy. Lets start with the defense budget.

• Fire 4

Wait, what? Why would we do that? According to this chart, military spending isn't out of control at all:

usdiscretspend08.gif

• Fire 2

Great...I have spelled out here how I would do that and it would cut it very deep.

Done..

But, that doesn't come anywhere close to balancing the budget. Cut entitlements and we have money for these types of things that benefit us greatly.

Cut entitlements and we have money for these types of things that benefit us greatly.

Whose entitlements should we cut and in what amount?

I'm fine with cutting them across the board until we are to a point we can pay for it. Then, if one wants more money, we decide which one gets cut from there.

I'll even give you raising taxes on the rich if they would agree to do this.

Cut entitlements and we have money for these types of things that benefit us greatly.

Whose entitlements should we cut and in what amount?

I'm fine with cutting them across the board until we are to a point we can pay for it. Then, if one wants more money, we decide which one gets cut from there.

Across the board including Medicaid, Medicare, VA benefits?

Wait, what? Why would we do that? According to this chart, military spending isn't out of control at all:

usdiscretspend08.gif

What's sad is that doesn't even include the war spending.