Time to get serious about science

Junior

Why are we messing around talking about social spending when we have such a huge, wasteful, bloated military budget?

Total deficit of the US government is somewhere around 1.3 trillion. Your chart shows that total spending in 2009 on defense is 604 billion. We could completely eliminate the defense department and we still would have 700 billion in deficits.

I haven't seen anyone here argue against cutting the defense budget. But, entitlements need to be cut also.

Yep...across the board. I think that is where the discussion needs to start. If you want to keep what you listed, then let's talk. I would be willing to drastically cut the education department....heck...let's eliminate it all together. That would be 62 billion right there (according to Knapp's chart)

Why are we messing around talking about social spending when we have such a huge, wasteful, bloated military budget?

OH! I know the answer to this one!!

A few billion of the same reasons that Romney doesn't think wind and solar energy are "real" energy.

Could you source some links where Romney has ever claimed they are not "real" energy?

Or are you confusing the disgust many have over friends of B.O. getting billions of tax payer money to subsidize forms of energy that are not producing nearly what is needed in a cost effective manner?

Why not pare down the ridiculously bloated defense budget while at the same time eliminating tax loopholes for corporations and the ultra-rich? Why not modestly increase taxes for all Americans (fairly), while at the same time having across-the board cuts in government spending?

There's no sane reason to cut an entire department like Education without anything remotely resembling a private sector equivalent prepared to take up where the government lets off. Suggestions like that don't do anything to fix the problems we face.

OH! I know the answer to this one!!

A few billion of the same reasons that Romney doesn't think wind and solar energy are "real" energy.

Could you source some links where Romney has ever claimed they are not "real" energy?

Or are you confusing the disgust many have over friends of B.O. getting billions of tax payer money to subsidize forms of energy that are not producing nearly what is needed in a cost effective manner?

I'll let Mitt speak for himself on the matter:

http://www.dispatch....superpower.html

“In place of real energy, Obama has focused on an imaginary world where government-subsidized windmills and solar panels could power the economy. This vision has failed.”

He instead prefers government subsidized oil and coal industries.

• Fire 2

Would Romney's campaign website suffice?

“The goal of my energy policy is straightforward: guarantee America the most affordable and reliable supply in the world. Ohio is seeing firsthand the potential of this approach in the Marcellus Shale...

In place of real energy, Obama has focused on an imaginary world where government-subsidized windmills and solar panels could power the economy. This vision has failed...

“As president, I will unleash American innovation and productivity to make full use of our natural resources.

“First, I will pursue dramatic regulatory reform to accelerate the exploration and development of oil and gas, to facilitate construction of vital infrastructure and to preserve and expand crucial electricity capacity. I will streamline permitting processes and create fixed timelines. Businesses can live with “yes” or “no,” but government must stop saying “maybe” or “wait.”

LINK

• Fire 1

Your chart shows that total spending in 2009 on defense is 604 billion.

You should probably add in the cost of waging at least one ill-advised war. That's not included.

I would be willing to drastically cut the education department....heck...let's eliminate it all together. That would be 62 billion right there (according to Knapp's chart)

If we did that you'd have a lot more significant complaints than the food being served at the high school.

• Fire 1

Total deficit of the US government is somewhere around 1.3 trillion. Your chart shows that total spending in 2009 on defense is 604 billion. We could completely eliminate the defense department and we still would have 700 billion in deficits.

I haven't seen anyone here argue against cutting the defense budget. But, entitlements need to be cut also.

Yep...across the board. I think that is where the discussion needs to start. If you want to keep what you listed, then let's talk. I would be willing to drastically cut the education department....heck...let's eliminate it all together. That would be 62 billion right there (according to Knapp's chart)

Let's eliminate the EPA, too! Who needs pesky clean water and air getting in the way of progress, right?

Cut entitlements and we have money for these types of things that benefit us greatly.

Whose entitlements should we cut and in what amount?

I'm fine with cutting them across the board until we are to a point we can pay for it. Then, if one wants more money, we decide which one gets cut from there.

i say we start with school lunches.

This thread is a prime example of the problem we have.

Other than defense, not one cut has been mentioned that wasn't argued against.

Maybe nobody would ague against cutting school lunches though :)

Are you all saying that we should totally eliminate the defense budget?

no, but it should be limited to defense.

i was baiting you with the school lunch thing, sort of. i think we need to increase tax revenue and that is how we get back on track. shredding safety nets will only make american's security more precarious. so we spend less and many more people live in abject poverty, how does that help the economy? you keep saying entitlement programs, but i say those are programs we owe our citizens as part of the social compact we are all forced to enter into by being born in this country.

• Fire 1

i was baiting you with the school lunch thing, sort of. i think we need to increase tax revenue and that is how we get back on track. shredding safety nets will only make american's security more precarious. so we spend less and many more people live in abject poverty, how does that help the economy? you keep saying entitlement programs, but i say those are programs we owe our citizens as part of the social compact we are all forced to enter into by being born in this country.

Well stated.

We are forced to enter a social compact by being born here?? Really??? Is that in the founding father's documents somewhere?

I'm not against being compassionate (as a populace. The government's job is not to be compassionate), but where in the country's rules and regulations does it say we have a social compact?

Increasing by taxing the rich doesn't come anywhere close.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danbigman/2012/04/03/john-stossel-tax-the-rich-the-rich-dont-have-enough-really/

Right now, I do not support raising taxes on anyone. However, I have said that I am willing to do it if there are massive cuts on the other side.