Would there be any real advantage to one over the other if the most it will be used for is for the kids to play games and me to take pictures and videos of the kids

If those are your primary uses, the iPhone 5 has a decided advantage. Way more games in the App store, more quality games as well, and a really, really nice camera lens.

Would not buy an iphone for the life of me. Junk.

Care to give any reason with that bias?

Overpriced Hardware/Software

Buying an adapter for everything. $29 a piece.

No NFC.

Limited Customization

Ridiculous insurance plan. i.e. I pay 5 bucks a month and $50 deductible when I break my droid. For an iphone, the insurance is $10 a month, then is a $179 deductible to get a new phone. This is a big one. Also, the iphone 5 feels so flimsy. The first time I picked it up it felt like if I were to squeeze it I could mangle the entire phone.

That overpriced hardware has being going strong for my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years. Still runs like I just bought it yesterday. I'm willing to pay the price for a product if its going to last a long time in which my iPhone 4 has unlike my previous Droids.

Do people know that you can find a cheaper adapter than the one Apple is pushing out for $30? I don't understand why people are making a big fuss over this.

Whats that big deal with NFC? So you can pay for something using your smartphone but what place can I use that technology where I live and the answer is nowhere. I can't using it to pay for gas, I can't pay my utility bills, mortgage, babysitter, etc. Hell I don't think the Wal-Mart where I shop even allows there customers to pay using their smartphones. Heres a good read about the security issues with NFC.

If you thought the iPhone 5 felt flimsy go pick up a Samsung phone, boy are those things light and you can feel how cheap they are. Watch the drop test of the iPhone 5 and S3 I posted above and see which of those flimsy phones can handle a drop.

First of all, if you treat your phone good, there is no reason why it should be running any differently than when you first got it. I've had droids that last the same amount of time with no issue at all, just have to know how to treat them.

Second, like carlfense said, buying third party apple compatible hardware is not smart, and usually doesn't last minus a few good companies. Especially when the technology is a new thing. It is a big deal, when you now have to rely on having your apple specific charger everywhere you go. I often am places where I forget my phone charger, but almost everyone I know has a micro usb cord laying around somewhere. Can't say the same for this new lightning cord. To dock it, adapter, to display it, adapter, you may not take advantage of the different connectivity of you phone, but for people who do, that crap adds up. Quick.

Third, NFC will be a big deal, and I find it hilarious that apple is trying to make it off as not a big technology because they weren't the ones who launched it first. Apple's marketing technique is all a brainwash. They make things and then tell you why you need them, not respond to needs. It's innovative, but they were beaten to the punch with NFC, a technology of the future, and now are trying to discount it. I am positive that if Apple were to be the first to put this in their phone that you would be all over it in defense, regardless of issues, because it's apple and they say you need it.

I deal with each these phones everyday, my job requires it. So I have a pretty good idea of what the feel of them is. I see iphones come in for insurance replacements everyday with cracked screens, shattered backs, the works. Which isn't the case for the galaxy. The jury is still out on the iphone 5, as I have only seen about 2 come in for replacement. An iphone with an otterbox is a great thing, let me tell you. But it is annoying how easily these things break compared to most of the android phones.

You didn't say anything about the insurance replacement cost difference, which to me, and a lot of people I deal with coming in for a new phone, is a huge deal. With a droid, the insurance for most is 5 per month and 50 deductible. Iphone is 10 a month, 170 deductible. So in a 2 year contract if you have one insurance replacement, it's $170 compared to $410. That's a pretty substantial amount in my eyes. But if you take care of your phone, you obviously wont have to worry about it. But accidents do happen.

Let me finish by clarifying that I am not some apple hater like it may appear. I have a macbook pro, itouch, and am certified to sell all of their products. It just annoys me how much people have been mind warped by that company and their ability to suck money out of consumers. But, they do make excellent products, none the less. It think what irritates me the most is how fans of apple so quickly discount competing products, without knowing anything about them. (not saying this is the case with you)

my wife's iphone 4s has held up so far just fine but i don't really care if i have an iphone or not just

want to make a choice to fit my needs

If you care about camera a lot go iPhone

Isn't Nokia supposed to be good in that department as well?

Not sure, honestly. I don't deal with a lot of nokias, but now that you mention it, I believe I have heard that. The iphone has quite a few apps that are good for photo editing, though.

I don't do the photo editing so I really just would like it to work well and take good pictures, but someone told me that samsung makes the camera's for the iphones. So wouldn't the samsungs make theirs a little better than they do for the competition. I also was more concerned about the internet security with the android phones vs iphone.

but i guess if the insurance is that much cheaper with the samsung maybe thats the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a solid phone that is easy to use, has pretty much all of the features you could ever want, and isn't the size of an ipad, get the iphone. I'm no apple fanboy (it's the only apple product I have) but they're pretty good. I don't care about the S3 being technically slightly better or whatever. iphone is just fine. I've dropped mine A TON and it's never had any problems.

We're getting to the point where any feature a phone has is only going to be marginally better than a competitor anyway so if you like the iphone, go for it.

If you want a solid phone that is easy to use, has pretty much all of the features you could ever want, and isn't the size of an ipad, get the iphone. I'm no apple fanboy (it's the only apple product I have) but they're pretty good. I don't care about the S3 being technically slightly better or whatever. iphone is just fine. I've dropped mine A TON and it's never had any problems.

We're getting to the point where any feature a phone has is only going to be marginally better than a competitor anyway so if you like the iphone, go for it.

i agree with this. i have a two year old htc incredible. it is still great for everything i use it for and i know it has way more capabilities than i would ever even know how to enjoy.

• Fire 1
  • 2 months later...

update: finally got the samsung galaxy s3. as much as you can love a phone, i love it. worth the wait and glad i waited until i could get it for $99. awesome phone.

FYI:

There's a crazy exploit sneaking around that could brick your Samsung phone and break into your physical memory to steal your data. But don't freak out; Samsung says it's aware of the problem and is working quickly on software fixes.

Samsung confirmed to Android Central suspicions that the problem is an Exynos processor vulnerability issue. What the exploit does is it gives a malicious app access to all of your RAM so that it could steal your info, wipe your phone, etc. So be sure to avoid any apps that seem sketchy because they might get you.

http://gizmodo.com/5969753/theres-an-official-fix-coming-for-the-crazy-samsung-phone+bricking-exploit