O-Line and Choi

I looked over the first page of posts and didn't see anything along this "line" so thought I'd add my thoughts. If there is a post already, point me there and shut this one down.

Spent some time with my binoculars focused on the O-Line today. They looked pretty good over all, and I'm no one to be judging over all play, but I do have a question.

I noticed that Choi was flipping between guard and tackle today. Is that normal during the course of a game so people can take a breather now and then? Also, when he gets to block the guys directly across the line, or close across the line, he's a beast, reminiscent of the old, road grading pipeline. When he pulls, he seems tentative and not as effective in general. He did make a great block on one pull, but on several he just kind of pushed the opposing player a little and didn't get a hit or move the dude. Might be that's what is called for, but it seemed he was much weaker on the pull plays.

Enlighten me please?

When he pulls, he seems tentative and not as effective in general. He did make a great block on one pull, but on several he just kind of pushed the opposing player a little and didn't get a hit or move the dude.

Generally when a guard pulls, he's pulling into a specific area, not roaming around in a large general area of space. And it's about isolation as much or probably more than a pancake block. Isolating a player is absolutely as effective as a pancake; once your back clears that space, if the pulling lineman made his assignment and doesn't need to push further up field, he's good.

In my opinion, Seung Hoon has pretty quick feet. He moves laterally quickly.

When he pulls, he seems tentative and not as effective in general. He did make a great block on one pull, but on several he just kind of pushed the opposing player a little and didn't get a hit or move the dude.

Generally when a guard pulls, he's pulling into a specific area, not roaming around in a large general area of space. And it's about isolation as much or probably more than a pancake block. Isolating a player is absolutely as effective as a pancake; once your back clears that space, if the pulling lineman made his assignment and doesn't need to push further up field, he's good.

In my opinion, Seung Hoon has pretty quick feet. He moves laterally quickly.

Thanks Undone. Now that you mention it, he did move very well when he pulled....