Student Section

KJ.

I'm not sure what you could see on TV, but here's what the student section looked like at kickoff:

P9150009.jpg

As a student, I will be the first to say that the size of the student section needs to be cut back. For as much as the students complain about getting crappy seats, they should be lucky it isn't worse. I wish it was.

The size of the student section does not need to be cut back, lol

My brother was a freshman last year and wasn't even able to get student tickets because it filled up before the freshman purchasing day arrived. The student section is the only real source of noise from our lackluster crowd, if anything the size should be increased.

Enhance is right, of course there were empty seats at the beginning of a terrible 11am game. Pretty typical, they usually fill up.

It never filled up completely. And although freshmen had a hard time getting tickets last year, this same problem persisted. I really don't care what the excuse is, seeing gaps that large in Memorial Stadium should never happen. Either cut it back or start overselling, because it's pretty obvious that the student body can't fill it on a consistent basis. There's plenty of people out there who would have gladly paid for a ticket and woken up early to see a Husker game.

Another factor is that a ton of people from South Stadium illegally sneak into East Stadium, so East is usually really densely packed, while there is some empty space in South. Fine, oversell if need be. But it's not "pretty obvious that the student body can't fill it on a consistent basis" ...I spent the last 5 years watching every game from the student section and that statement couldn't be any more false.

• Fire 2

It's been mentioned several times how the student section is more of a social experience for a lot of people than actually watching the game and cheering. I think that during conference play, the student section will be much more involved than during games against teams from the Sun Belt conference.

In some ways it is. There are definitely a lot of people who go to watch the game, and there are certainly a lot of people (mainly girls) who go to chat it up and be really drunk. South stadium is usually pretty bad at filling up by kickoff because it's full of underage people who've been off drinking at some house in the bottoms.

tschu makes a good point, though. Memorial Stadium is already pretty pathetic in terms of noise - cut back on the student section anymore and it will get a lot worse.

it's pretty obvious that the student body can't fill it on a consistent basis.

That's completely wrong. I've spent time in the press boxes over the last three years for some games instead of being in the student section, and the student section fills up for big games. It was an 11 a.m. game against Arkansas State! And as I pointed out above, there were were sizeable gaps over in west stadium, where it looks like you snapped this picture. Don't throw stones in a glass house brosef.

In some ways it is. There are definitely a lot of people who go to watch the game, and there are certainly a lot of people (mainly girls) who go to chat it up and be really drunk. South stadium is usually pretty bad at filling up by kickoff because it's full of underage people who've been off drinking at some house in the bottoms.

In a related story, in my freshman or sophomore year I once completely missed a game because I was too hungover.

The game had a 6:00pm kickoff.

lol

In a related story, in my freshman or sophomore year I once completely missed a game because I was too hungover.

The game had a 6:00pm kickoff.

lol

That's the thing though - we're louder than everybody else because we're younger and we're drunker, when people actually find their way to the stadium lol.

Student Section "Issues" in no particular order:

Game time

Girls having tix and deciding to show up late, not at all or leave really early

Being tired from the night before

Don't they let the students in, in some weird way now? Like a wrist band or something? I am sure some students just don't want to stand in line to wait for one, so they probably just come in 10 minutes after kick off

It never filled up completely. And although freshmen had a hard time getting tickets last year, this same problem persisted. I really don't care what the excuse is, seeing gaps that large in Memorial Stadium should never happen. Either cut it back or start overselling, because it's pretty obvious that the student body can't fill it on a consistent basis. There's plenty of people out there who would have gladly paid for a ticket and woken up early to see a Husker game.

Yeah because overselling won't cause anymore of a problem!?

Student Section "Issues" in no particular order:

Game time

Girls having tix and deciding to show up late, not at all or leave really early

Being tired from the night before

Don't they let the students in, in some weird way now? Like a wrist band or something? I am sure some students just don't want to stand in line to wait for one, so they probably just come in 10 minutes after kick off

No paper tickets, its all on their N card