Historical stat of Nebraska's scoring defense since 1962

Nexus

While I tend to run hot and cold on Chatelain's reporting/commentary/columns, I thought he had some interesting stats in his Mad Chatter column today. Link found here:

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/09/19/mad-chatter-sept-19/

Basically figuring a 'points-per-possession' type measurement for the defense. Interesting to see how the defense has handled itself. I thought the measurement was actually one of the most even-handed ways to measure the defense's performance that I've seen, considering it takes into account # of possessions in a particular game v. just taking a static measurement of a particular stat.

We used to beat Kansas by 60 points while putting our towel boys in for half the game!

You do understand there is a HUGE difference between the football world back then and now don't you?

No, I sure don't. I also don't understand sarcasm or hyperbole. We really did play our towel boys back then, didn't we?? Maybe a few more question marks would help... ???????

I think he is talking about how teams are much closer or the parity in the game today. Back in the 70's and 80's playing KU, ISU, KSU et al was literally like playing Florida Atlantic for about 5 games of the year. I am not kidding those teams were very bad. It was a lot easier to win big for an elite program like Nebraska.

Having an offense that can sustain drives and score points on most of them makes a huge difference for a defense.

Nebraska has that offense now, which is why the defensive meltdowns are more disturbing.

It's also why the Husker defense in '09 was so impressive. They kept us in games where the offense couldn't string together first downs and barely piled up 100 yards.