Victory Formation - Take the loss or fight until the end?

Enhance

There's a fine line between "competing to the end" and "delaying the inevitable".

I think part of the problem is sometimes the QB kind of shuffles around for a bit, trying to kill a few more seconds. This only leads to shoving and cheap shots. I've maintained for some time that the kneel down rule should be enforced similarly to the spike to kill the clock - if you're going to do it, you have to do it as soon as you take the snap. That would clean it up a lot.

• Fire 1

There's a fine line between "competing to the end" and "delaying the inevitable".

I think part of the problem is sometimes the QB kind of shuffles around for a bit, trying to kill a few more seconds. This only leads to shoving and cheap shots. I've maintained for some time that the kneel down rule should be enforced similarly to the spike to kill the clock - if you're going to do it, you have to do it as soon as you take the snap. That would clean it up a lot.

That's not a bad idea - maybe a five yard penalty and an automatic clock stoppage for anybody that takes the snap and doesn't kneel asap.

I think the qb should be fully tackled to begin with. Why make a special part of a rule (have to be tackled by contact) for a kneel down situation. make'em run the ball or something.

I think QB protection rules are necessary because people take advantage of quarterbacks, way more-so than any other position on the field. Quarterbacks are subjected to more late hits and cheap shots than just about any other position because it's the most important position on the field.

Do you really want the quarterback for your team taking an extra shot when the game is all but over?

Any way you try to spin it, going after a QB while he's talking a knee is a cheap shot.

You couldn't be more wrong. Philip Rivers fumbled on a (basically) kneel-down last year and the other team recovered, and went on to win the game. That was the difference in the Chargers making/not making the playoffs.

Nice try, though.

• Fire 1

Any way you try to spin it, going after a QB while he's talking a knee is a cheap shot.

You couldn't be more wrong. Philip Rivers fumbled on a (basically) kneel-down last year and the other team recovered, and went on to win the game. That was the difference in the Chargers making/not making the playoffs.

Nice try, though.

When a QB is kneeling down, he's giving himself up, just as if he's sliding. If he fumbles while he's sliding, or kneeling, by all means recover the ball. But to try and hit him while he's giving himself up is inherently dirty.

I couldn't be more right.

• Fire 2

Well then he better get the snap and get his ass down then.

Is that not what he did? :dunno

And it's not just about the quarterback. The lineman should be putting forth the effort to keep defenders out of there for a whole .27 seconds that it takes to get the snap and kneel.

That's never really been necessary before. I don't think it should be just because one coach got all butthurt about blowing a game.

Would you quit bringing facts into this?? 60 MINUTES DAMNIT.

But back to a serious note, for me it goes back to the score situation. If it's more than a one score game, then I see your point and would totally diagree with what Schiano did, but in this situation, there's nothing wrong with trying to get the ball back and frankly, all 11 offensive players should be prepared for any such shananigans in such situations. They get paid a nice chunk of change to play the game, so there should be no surprises.

I guess the reason I don't really buy the "aww shucks, we was just tryin' to play hard for 60 minutes" routine is because they didn't try to play hard for 60 minutes.

They played hard for about 3 quarters and let up when they thought they had the game in hand, allowing the Giants to score 25 points in the 4th quarter. Taking an obvious cheap shot at the very end doesn't really make up for that.